Uplink

pocpocpocky

Still Fresh
Hi, I am just wondering if anyone have thought about getting uplink to work on the Pandora since it has a nice keyboard and touch screen, it seems that it would be the perfect game to port on there. thanks.

read this it is sticky over here

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/43076-please-post-port-requests-in-the-general-section/

Last edited by a moderator:
Rules aside, this isn't a half bad idea. I know you can buy the full source code for uplink and that it uses fixed function opengl.

I'll look into it.

EDIT: It seems that, if ported, introversion would still charge for the software, I think I'll throw them an email and see if they'd be happy to sell a version for the Pandora, or even much more simply maybe you'd only need the license of owning the PC version.

I'll look further into it.

Great! I hope we can make this happen. Love Introversion and was always meaning to finally play Uplink...
It looked like they were in some financial trouble recently so they probably won't have the resources to port it themselves. I'd guess they'd be open about letting you port it and share some of the profit with you, though.

I wouldn't want money to port it. From what I see, if I can get my hands on a developer cd, port the executable. Then you would only need the data files from the pc version to play.

Make sure you read the license agreement before you consider buying the Uplink developer CD:

http://www.introversion.co.uk/uplink/developer/license.html

You apparently have to get written permission from Introversion for any port, even if you've paid for the disc - so it's probably a good idea to get the permission before shelling out the dollars.

You could probably get the dev CD through shady channels, but that might cause problems when you ask Introversion for permission, since they demand proof of purchase for pretty much anything regarding the dev disk.

fraseyboy said:
What about the possibility of other Introversion games? Darwinia and Defcon would be very awesome...

Well, as far as I know, all Introversion games are OpenGL and multiplatform. BUT Uplink is the only game with an attainable source.

Make sure you read the license agreement before you consider buying the Uplink developer CD:

That's why I'm contacting them before attempting anything.

fraseyboy said:
What about the possibility of other Introversion games? Darwinia and Defcon would be very awesome...

Couple of things to consider:
  • Darwinia+ just got approval for release on XBLA, and the release date hasn't even been announced yet. (Even if the awesome folks at IV WANTED to help us out, I suspect that they have contractual obligations to the contrary for that title.)
  • The original Darwinia never ran remarkably well on my 1.5GHz Powerbook. Will it run acceptably on the Pandora's hardware?

I'd love to play Uplink on mine as well. Very cool that IV is at least open to the idea of ports.

fraseyboy said:

+ 1 For awsomeness. Was just about to post requesting Introversion ports!

StalkS

QBJECT said:
fraseyboy said:

Couple of things to consider:
  • Darwinia+ just got approval for release on XBLA, and the release date hasn't even been announced yet. (Even if the awesome folks at IV WANTED to help us out, I suspect that they have contractual obligations to the contrary for that title.)

• There's a chance that Darwinia+ and the regular old Darwinia are licensed as separate games, in which case...
    But I'm not entirely sure.

Introversion is independent precisely for the reason that they retain all rights to their games. The problem about getting Darwinia (& Multiwinia) onto the Pandora would most likely not be licensing but making it run acceptably without spending any money on development. Making it run well on the 360 was apparently a challenge. Those hundreds of souls were a problem for my PC, sometimes. So it's probably not a game that could simply be ported and run. With Uplink, we probably won't have those performance issues, so we should probably look into that, first. Also, it's rather fitting, as Introversion's next game Subversion will be a quasi-successor to Uplink.
IMO, somebody should do a professional port of Uplink to Pandora, N900 and AI Touchbook, working closely with Introversion, and with the intent to actually sell the game at a profit. An Android/iPhone/Pre version could be the next step but that might require a lot more adjusting to the low resolution displays and thus more work. I think this could work out well. While the Pandora as a market is small, adding in it's sister devices makes it quite a bit bigger.

Back