Update On The Gp2xwiz.co.kr Site

I'm starting to get worried about the screen tearing issue. If they say that using OpenGLES will solve the tearing, then why didn't they use it to fix tearing in the menu? Unless the menu can't be made with OpenGLES, then I don't see why they wouldn't use it, unless the OpenGLES fix doesn't fix anything at all.

chickendung posted on May 28 2009 at 09:59 PM said:
I'm starting to get worried about the screen tearing issue. If they say that using OpenGLES will solve the tearing, then why didn't they use it to fix tearing in the menu? Unless the menu can't be made with OpenGLES, then I don't see why they wouldn't use it, unless the OpenGLES fix doesn't fix anything at all.
Because using OpenGL es to avoid the screen tearing takes time and money to implement perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter R posted on May 28 2009 at 10:51 PM said:
I updated and although the menu seems to be rotated, or work around the tearing some how, the onboard games seem to still feature screen tearing. Well, the fenix ones at least.
Confirmed. Only the menu is affected.

mittens posted on May 28 2009 at 02:05 PM) [quote="fettouhi posted on May 28 2009 at 05:53 PM said:
How do you do the upgrade of firmware again?
I don't understand what 'again' means, but you can upgrade by following instructions:

1. uncompress all files to root of your SD
2. insert your SD and turn on your Wiz (if you copy them through Wiz, then just turn off and on it again)
3. push B button when the upgrade popup appears
4. turn off you Wiz AGAIN and turn on it with holding the R shoulder button
5. when you can see the 'Update' screen, you can release R button
6. push B button when the upgrade popup dialogue. (your screen might be scrabbled for a while)

Little a bit wierd instruction, I suspect that step.3 can be skipped, but not sure, it is the GPH's instruction. (except step 6. the message box just appears again <_< "].[/quote]It seemed to me that my firmware update was completed after step 3, and steps 4-6 weren't necessary? The Settings->Information screen displays 1.0.1, anyway.

So uhm. Is it just me, or have I NEVER noticed ANY screen tearing on ANY of the menus, and I think you're all nuts? XD

jacksterson posted on May 29 2009 at 11:51 AM said:
So uhm. Is it just me, or have I NEVER noticed ANY screen tearing on ANY of the menus, and I think you're all nuts? XD
I've seen some people report never seeing screen tearing, but I saw it pretty frequently with firmware version 1.0.0. Haven't seen it yet with version 1.0.1.

Promised Planet posted on May 29 2009 at 06:07 PM said:
jacksterson posted on May 29 2009 at 11:51 AM said:
I've seen some people report never seeing screen tearing, but I saw it pretty frequently with firmware version 1.0.0. Haven't seen it yet with version 1.0.1.
I see it in the boot splash screen right before the menu is loaded. Not that it matters but my boot splash screen is half the time it loads garbled and rotated.

Regards

André

Upated my wiz.

1. uncompress all files to root of your SD
2. insert your SD and turn on your Wiz
3. push B button when the upgrade popup appears (just follow on screen instructions)
4. Wiz reboots in Wiz menu

Now when you turn off your wiz and turn it back on, i got the scrambled/rotated wiz logo, so i did the following steps

5. Turn off you Wiz
6. Hold R and turn on Wiz
7. Release R when a pop-up windows appears about the update, no txt on it (no info on pressing buttons)
8. Waited, and wiz booted back into wiz menu
9. Rebooted wiz and updated agian the normal way (step 3 and 4)

Now my wiz boots normal, without scrambled/rotated wiz logo screen
Dunno if all steps are needed, but it worked for me this way :D

Do you read mittens post and the whole thread?

mittens posted on May 28 2009 at 07:04 PM) 1) Improved screen display - It will reduce the screen-tearing problem 2) Fixed NAND memory errors - Additional fix will be followed soon\ 3 said:
Improved Video playback performance
Is it worth to update? It's up to you to decide.
If you ask me, do it. There are some optimizations in it without any real regressions...

sbock posted on May 29 2009 at 11:58 PM said:
Do you read mittens post and the whole thread?
mittens posted on May 28 2009 at 07:04 PM) 1) Improved screen display - It will reduce the screen-tearing problem 2) Fixed NAND memory errors - Additional fix will be followed soon\ 3 said:
Improved Video playback performance
Is it worth to update? It's up to you to decide.
If you ask me, do it. There are some optimizations in it without any real regressions...

Ok, so just updated, and for anyone whos still iffy about it, I suggest it. No problems with themes, though there are a few new screens I'd like to get my hands on.

Anywho, the video playback is pretty perfect for me now, though music is still extremely laggy. I hope they update that next, I'd like to use my Wiz as a portable media player if I can.

Though, I really hope they add custom fonts in the next update. It would make skinning a lot easier.

Oh come on guys, this is Wiz the retro machine, not PSP, worthy or not, they're not forcing you to upgrade so you can play the latest games.

So it's up to you now..

Me? Upgrading right away.... :D

I just updated to the 1.01 firmware, the only issue I do not like is the interface is much slower then it used to be. I hope they can get the speed back up.

I just updated to the 1.01 firmware, the only issue I do not like is the interface is much slower then it used to be. I hope they can get the speed back up.
I'll take my chances on keeping the original firmware, because it doesn't seem to benefit anything otherwise. The interface is pretty slow as it is. =P

Back