Unnecesary Keyboard

I want a keyboard on anything that has internet or offers productivity stuff.

Apart from all the obvious advantages you get key combinations. And I wouldn't want to miss those.

ahahah said:
rather than redirect the autor of this topic to all machines that have not keyboards, why don't convince him of utility of a keyboard?
you will use keyboard to do what?

i don't think you can use keyboard to play amstrad games for example (or other old "keyboard-have machines"), the keys are not positionned as the originals one (spacebar?) and they are too close each other.
pandastart.jpg

so, his question interests me.
what use will you have with the keyboard?
(and will you use it so often?)

ZXSpectrum48k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rubbery Pandora keymats with PLOT DRAW REM RUN RAND etc, for ZX Basic

I see the inspiration behind putting the space key on the right

Yeah, I think you are right. To be honest, apart from answering stupid questions in the forum I have rarely use for a keyboard. I think I should stop doing this anyway ;)

Typing of the dead: Pandora edition

...no seriously, can someone get on that?

Original games that use keyboards, emulators of systems that require typing... Ultimately the point is moot. It has a keyboard it's not going away, get on board or dont.

I think it mostly comes down to the level of integration that the O/S provides between dedicated controls and applications.

Linux is just to flexible to work well like that, short of a super highly customized distro like Adroid.

m704.jpg

Some devices really only need the onscreen keyboard.

envtouch.jpg

Attachments

• m704.jpg
    m704.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 116
  • envtouch.jpg
    envtouch.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 111
Playing ZX, CPC & MSX games has always been a little bit of a pain on handhelds (needing to call up the OSD keyboard at odd times) - Pandora is the first that will really feel "smooth". Plus C64, Miggy, etc - and Skeezix's awesome text adventurererer.

Add that to the productivity side of things, and the keyboard was one of the big draws for me. Like people have said, if all you want is a small, open handheld to play games, get a Wiz or Dingoo.

Alpha2 said:
Typing of the dead: Pandora edition

...no seriously, can someone get on that?

Original games that use keyboards, emulators of systems that require typing... Ultimately the point is moot. It has a keyboard it's not going away, get on board or dont.

Mavis Beacon: Pandora Edition. Anyone? Please? :blink:

kaprikawn said:
Mavis Beacon: Pandora Edition. Anyone? Please? :blink:

Windows 3 in DosBOX:

2010-04-17T18:06:56-04:00-IMG00099-20100417-1803.jpg

Attachments

• 2010-04-17T18:06:56-04:00-IMG00099-20100417-1803.jpg
    2010-04-17T18:06:56-04:00-IMG00099-20100417-1803.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 119
crade said:
Get real, how are you going to play Zork without a keyboard?

actually can do pretty well with touchscreen .. I built a wicked system for palmos ... And nowfor pandora :)

jeff

ahahah said:
i don't think you can use keyboard to play amstrad games for example (or other old "keyboard-have machines"), the keys are not positionned as the originals one

Uhoh guys this is pretty severe. If it is impossible to use the keyboard for emulation because of the positioning of the keys, we may as well give up on N64, hmm and even Megadrive, emulation.... you're not going to be able to use the built in gaming controls, you see. They're not positioned as the original ones.

keaft said:
SefSermak said:
IDK, it is just so innecessary and makes the device more... big and less eye-candy...

Just in case you missed the priority list:

1. Capability
2. Open source
3. Usability
4. Looks

You would hate linux.

This thing does actually come with a full operating system. Not just a GUI. That makes it more of a computer. Gives more reason to keyboard as there is more use for the keyboard.

I have come to love my command line, at least for the few things I can do. I like my shortcut keys. I like to respond to useless threads in forums. The keyboard will make hotkeys amazing in our Quantum Drive project.

Yeah lets remove the keyboard. And the nubs. And the touch screen. And the gaming controls. And the case. Just put a VGA out, a power button, one action button, and some USB ports and we will be fine.
Oh irony! A troll to argue with another troll?

the keys are too close each other on the pandora because of the size of the keyboard.
original machines hadn't the same size as the pandora, had they?

do you really think you will have during the games the same easiness to use the pandora keyboard as with the original machines keyboard?

it is more easy to play them with the pad :)

ahahah said:
the keys are too close each other on the pandora because of the size of the keyboard.

do you really think you will have during the games the same easiness to use the pandora keyboard as with the original machines keyboard?

No, but it's better than not having one at all. Many old computer games required typing, which I'm sure would be easier on the Pandora keyboard than some method using the D-pad or even the touchscreen.

TrashyMG said:
Many old computer games required typing, which I'm sure would be easier on the Pandora keyboard than some method using the D-pad or even the touchscreen.
This.

And it wasn't always restricted to adventures or other genres which readily spring to mind where typing is concerned, either. It's not the greatest game ever made, but, for example, Short Circuit for the C64, which is primarily a joystick-controlled action game, actually requires keyboard commands to be issued to Number 5 in the first stage. (This was quite immersive at the time, I always thought, though it might be a bit lost on folks who haven't seen the movie. :lol: )

I doubt it's the only game like this out there. :p

ahahah said:

All games on Atari/Amiga had joystick or mouse as main control, at least as the default option, and generally it was mandatory.
However, joysticks were single-button joysticks, so often you had to use both joystick and keyboard, where the keyboard were used for secondary action (change weapon, shield, activate, menu...). Example: flashback, north and south...
That's why I think pandora inputs, with great joypad, decent mouse emulation with nubs and not great but usable physical keyboard, would be great for amiga emulation.

I used UAE a bit on GP2X and it was a rather frustrating experience, without proper physical keyboard.

Yep, just try using Spectrum/Amiga (etc.) emulators on the GP2X. It's a frustrating experience. So many games require you to do the odd key press here and there. Almost all spectrum games will initially require some kind of key press to set up the controls.

And that's just games, the Pandora is a real portable computer too - imagine not having a keyboard on your PC/Mac.

craigix said:
And that's just games, the Pandora is a real portable computer too - imagine not having a keyboard on your PC/Mac.
But virtual reality helmets touch-screens are the future sole computer input!

lets remove it all, even usb, you only require one TTS and voice recognition chip so you will never need that stupid visual like screens touchscreens and keyboards.

(i would say that if i went blind)
anywhere else in the universe, THIS IS A TROLL TOPIC.

(if youthink its not, then pandora is not 4 u PERIOD.)

Back