Ultima 4 Clone Source For Linux Here

Winterkid

Website
Visit site
http://xu4.sourceforge.net/

There is a freeware port of Ultima 4 for linux and windows and it tells you what libraries are needed and everything. I have 0 clue how to code, translate, read lines of code, nothing. I know a lot of poeple were asking about Ultima games and what-if-we and there-should-be and various Ultima games. Looking through the net for Ultima 4 spells, I stumbled on this and instantly put 1 and 1 together, and decided to pass it on here.

It's not in the developer's forum, cause I also wanted to see how other people thought of this idea, and if it's a worthwhile option for either or both handhelds. I know the linux version would be easier to port to the 2X, but I still wanted to ask with regards to the GP32 itself as the chatboard would greatly help with input.

The data files from the original game are needed, but Ultima 4 was released I believe as freeware, according to the official site.

This is the only game of the series that is currently downloadable legally from the Internet. The MS-DOS version of the game can be found in many download sites (see External links).

This was actually brought up, along with Exult, on the forums here recently as a proposed port for the GP2X.

Although, if you want an Ultima fix now, you could emulate it on several platforms.

This site details all the versions that have been released for different computers, many of which could be emulated quite well on the GP32 ;)

http://www.notableultima.com/collectibles/...yPlatforms.html

Ultima I-VI were all on the C64 - Frodo should handle them pretty well. There's no real difference in the early versions across other platforms.

Ultima I-VI were all on the C64 - Frodo should handle them pretty well. There's no real difference in the early versions across other platforms.

I'm not actually sure if Frodo's disk handling will work with the Ultima series, it seems patchy.

There is significant difference in some of the Ultima games available for different platforms, checkout that page to see how much so. I played them all to death on the c64 years ago, one thing no-one will get with a port is that cool map on a tea-towel ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not actually sure if Frodo's disk handling will work with the Ultima series, it seems patchy.

There is significant difference in some of the Ultima games available for different platforms, checkout that page to see how much so. I played them all to death on the c64 years ago, one thing no-one will get with a port is that cool map on a tea-towel ;)

I got the map on the tea-towel for Ultima 7. Were they available in the other versions as well?

(Ultima 7 is the only one with copy protection that requires the tea towel..... :D

I got the map on the tea-towel for Ultima 7. Were they available in the other versions as well?

(Ultima 7 is the only one with copy protection that requires the tea towel..... :D

Ultima 7? I thought I saw it earlier than that on c64. Then, anything before 1990 is a blur...

Ah - I remember the tea towel well. Very handy for mopping up cola spills :)

I think I was getting confused regarding Frodo. It's been a long time since I've used it - my main C64 emu is Pocket Commodore on the PPC.

M.

Ah - I remember the tea towel well. Very handy for mopping up cola spills :)

I think I was getting confused regarding Frodo. It's been a long time since I've used it - my main C64 emu is Pocket Commodore on the PPC.

M.

That's actually based on Frodo, but Frodo on GamePark is a very different beastie anyways.

Ultima 4 on Frodo plays, but not great. Chatboard works now and then, the joystick doesn't seem to work for it, no matter what I do, and the disk swapping isnt always successful.

Ultima 4 on the Sega Master System works a lot better, and no disk swapping needed, gameplay is almost exactly the same overall, however the dungeons are in top-down perspective rather than the pseudo-3d of the computer version.

The NES version was pretty messed up looking trying to make the gfx more modern detracted from the original "flavor" of the game. Also, they called it Ultima 2 rather than 4.

The Amiga version was the far superior to C64 version, needed only 2 disks, better color quality, and the Amiga had some mouse input in it's GUI.

In a GP32/GP2X version, a scan of the cloth map could be brought up in a subscreen, as well as a notepad for entering notes, where the game would pause while displayed. Map "pins" the user could add or delete to denote places of importance would be helpful.

I'm only an idea man, I dont have the skills to code or port.

Back