Ubuntu On Pandora

second exodous said:
Certified notebook? Heck, hook it up to a monitor and it's a Certified Computer.
Um there's no VGA output so the best you'll get is S-Video so it can't really *quite* be classed as a computer!

Impressive video, nonetheless!

Last edited by a moderator:
Eversmile said:
You know those fancy effects Ubuntu and other linux distros have (kinda like a better vista effect), will those work on the pandora? I don't really mind, it'd just impress mac users and people who prefer form over function.
Theoretically, yes. They use the same interface as any other Linux game to get those effects - OpenGL. And since the source is available, porting can be done where Ubuntu developers haven't.

The 3D drivers aren't available yet, or they are available only within the past few weeks, so I don't think we'll see them in developer videos just yet.

craigix said:
Sensational.

:D :)
By the way, your blog post title is the best! Definitely sigged. :lol:

Kyosys said:
Well the raw ubuntu is probably a little slow for that
It's not as fast as on average PC but it's quite usable.

Tensuke said:
What speed was the cpu running at?
500MHz.

Crasherball said:
can anybody tell me why I cant post comments on youtube anymore?
Because I disabled comments for that video.

javaJake said:
The 3D drivers aren't available yet,et.

The graphic drivers were working for a while already.

;)

I might have missed this in the video, but Notaz - what input methods were you using to move the mouse and type? Did you use USB devices or inputs from the devboard itself?

(Silly question, I know, as he definitely used USB devices, but I just want to make sure.)

Pleng said:
second exodous said:
Certified notebook? Heck, hook it up to a monitor and it's a Certified Computer.
Um there's no VGA output so the best you'll get is S-Video so it can't really *quite* be classed as a computer!

You know back in the day computers would only hook up to TVs

Even though its the full blown Ubuntu desktop version (it is, isn't it? Just recompiled for ARM?) it seems to be amazingly fast (Of course, booting took quite a while, but so does it on my desktop machine, I'm used to it xP ). GIMP started up relatively quick and looked very usable. Hehe, just lost all doubts about the power of this thing xD

Happy to pre-order on tuesday ;D

Great work on this, notaz!

A lot of people appear to think that you'll be able to use Ubuntu on Pandora like anywhere else. This isn't the case. The rest of the post after this might be a little negative, but I wouldn't want any of you to base your decision to spend $330 on a Pandora on this.

Using Ubuntu on the Pandora is kinda stupid in a lot of aspects. The thing that seperates Ubuntu from other distros is its usability and support. The ARM architecture isn't officially supported by Ubuntu, so you wouldn't be able to download from Synaptic and you'd have to compile programs yourself, and you'd barely be able to get any support from Canonical or the Ubuntu forums. You would just be stuck with a bloated Linux environment without most of the things that make Ubuntu shine.

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with using the Linux that will come with the console. Maybe it'll be possible to install an X server on top of that so people could use a more traditional desktop environment?

Also, I'm not bashing this at all. I think this is a great project and it totally deserves the enthusiasm it's getting. I just have the quirkiest hunch lingering in the back of my head that some people think that people will be able to use this like Ubuntu on a PC.

Skofo said:
Maybe it'll be possible to install an X server on top of that so people could use a more traditional desktop environment?

Hmm, for some reason I was always under the impression that even the default GUI would run on an X server. Is this not the case?

sinoth said:
Skofo said:
Maybe it'll be possible to install an X server on top of that so people could use a more traditional desktop environment?

Hmm, for some reason I was always under the impression that even the default GUI would run on an X server. Is this not the case?
The default GUI is running on KDrive IIRC, which is a very small X server, often used for low-memory or embedded devices.

sinoth said:
Skofo said:

It is the case.

Skofo said:

A lot of people appear to think that you'll be able to use Ubuntu on Pandora like anywhere else. This isn't the case. The rest of the post after this might be a little negative, but I wouldn't want any of you to base your decision to spend $330 on a Pandora on this.

Using Ubuntu on the Pandora is kinda stupid in a lot of aspects. The thing that seperates Ubuntu from other distros is its usability and support. The ARM architecture isn't officially supported by Ubuntu, so you wouldn't be able to download from Synaptic and you'd have to compile programs yourself, and you'd barely be able to get any support from Canonical or the Ubuntu forums. You would just be stuck with a bloated Linux environment without most of the things that make Ubuntu shine.

There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with using the Linux that will come with the console. Maybe it'll be possible to install an X server on top of that so people could use a more traditional desktop environment?

Also, I'm not bashing this at all. I think this is a great project and it totally deserves the enthusiasm it's getting. I just have the quirkiest hunch lingering in the back of my head that some people think that people will be able to use like Ubuntu on a PC.
If people really want Ubuntu, and I know that there will be people who do, we would work towards getting it running really well.

Ubuntu could be what pushes the Pandora from our community in to the bigger computer world, we are aware of this and it's been a topic of conversation many times.

What do you guys think?

Vorporeal said:
sinoth said:
Skofo said:

The default GUI is running on KDrive IIRC, which is a very small X server, often used for low-memory or embedded devices.

Ooh, my bad about that, then.

craigix said:
Ubuntu could be what pushes the Pandora from our community in to the bigger computer world, we are aware of this and it's been a topic of conversation many times.
It certainly wouldn't hurt!

Ubuntu Mobile might be perfect for the Pandora. Get that running well (and it will do, with some modifications), and it's perfect.

craigix said:
Skofo said:

Also, I'm not bashing this at all. I think this is a great project and it totally deserves the enthusiasm it's getting. I just have the quirkiest hunch lingering in the back of my head that some people think that people will be able to use like Ubuntu on a PC.
If people really want Ubuntu, and I know that there will be people who do, we would work towards getting it running really well.

What do you guys think?

A stripped down, optimised version of Ubuntu would be a massive selling point :) The fact you can have something like that in your pocket is amazing.

I am going to buy Pandora anyway..
But since I switched over all my laptops from Vista to Ubuntu....
Geting a stripped down or fully funtional Ubuntu GUI is a major selling point for me.

I would imagine for others as well....Ubuntu..fully functional on the Pandora would be a huge selling niche for our market. Possbily expanding into the greater Linux PC world (like its becoming already)

Back