Firefox On Pandora

mazza558 said:
Right, it's wired. Still, considering we went from no Ubuntu 2 days ago, to Ubuntu with no Firefox yesterday, and now this today, I'd give it a week before we see Crysis running at 60fps at the rate we're going!

EDIT: Digg it here! Let's get it on the front page again!
Digg it!

StreamMyGame :D

Last edited by a moderator:
runs extremely smooth considering it's running thru a full pledged OS.

oh man, all the flash games i'll get to play on it!

Patrick R Ludvigsen said:
mazza558 said:
Right, it's wired. Still, considering we went from no Ubuntu 2 days ago, to Ubuntu with no Firefox yesterday, and now this today, I'd give it a week before we see Crysis running at 60fps at the rate we're going!

EDIT: Digg it here! Let's get it on the front page again!
Digg it!

StreamMyGame :D

Within a month they'll be used as the primary control computers in NASA's launch centers. A few days after that, it will become compulsory to own a Pandora in any country. Soon after, it will become the head of state for every member of the U.N.

Isn't it obvious?

Without a lan cable port, i too am wondering how this thing got online..

But awesome nevertheless, The forums are not even that fast loading on my work pc right now ;) but that's a piece of crap

What you saw here was default Handhelds Mojo Ubuntu setup with just special kernel and bootloader for Pandora. I simply installed it, configured xorg and network.

mazza558 said:
Wait, is this using the Wifi or just ethernet? :eek:
Ethernet over USB peripheral. MK0s have no wifi. Only simple USB cable needed to get it going.

Ma10 said:
notax, did you have a look at finit that I posted about in the other topic "ubuntu on pandora"?
Not yet, just testing default stuff now.

anexanhume said:
Sweet! Gotta love the 10 to 2MB of memory left available! Thankfully, I don't think anyone will find a good reason to run something as fancy as xubuntu.
Linux never keeps the RAM empty, fills it with caches and buffers. The second line is the one that matters.

anexanhume said:
Sweet! Gotta love the 10 to 2MB of memory left available! Thankfully, I don't think anyone will find a good reason to run something as fancy as xubuntu.
Just had to mention that to calculated the amount of ram taken up you have to use the -/+ buffers/cache used mem from the total mem.

This gives approx. 45% mem before firefox and 64% with firefox, which is great if you ask me. Lots of potential.

what

This is crazy. I didn't expect Firefox for half a year at least... Amazing that it's here so fast. That will be one crazy device...

anexanhume said:
Time for a lesson in how linux uses its memory.

CODE

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 8199496 6106760 2092736 0 58348 4836408
-/+ buffers/cache: 1212004 6987492
Swap: 5855416 2052 5853364

If you see this, your responce will be, from the 8GB, there is only 2GB free?

*biep* wrong. Linux has the ability to cache almost any data, unlike windows that never full uses its memory. If you put 4GB or 8GB in a XP system, well, nice but almost very useless ( it leaves most of the memory empty ). Hell, given the choice, windows will still use its freaking swap file! Because Linux caches all the data, it does not need to access the HD's as much ( one of the reasons i put 8GB in this workstation/server ).

To know the true free memory on a Linux system:

Total: 8199496 ( 8GB )
- free: 2092736
- buffer: 58348
- cached: 4836408
Total used = 1212004 aka 1.2GB of the 8GB are used.

So, based on the data at the end of the clip, the amount of free memory is: 2224 + 45460 = 47.684MB free memory. Also, don't forget, the moment you close firefox, a lot of memory is released again, because the page caching firefox does, is counted as used memory ( aka, its not seen as part of the linux cache, so linux can't delocate it when you start a few other big programs, and it will end up writing firefox's memory to the swap ).

Linux experts, is this about right? :)

Hoh.... hoh.... Holy... wow... this is awesome!

The RAM usage is stupendous! With CUPS and whatever other junk is running in the background turned off, I'll bet you could get even more multitasking going than just two or three programs. :)

And, wow, if it was that easy as far as drivers and whatnot go, I'll bet we could get any other ARM distribution running easily!

Waiting for the Pandora gets harder, I tell you, with every video! It makes it worse to think how I could be using the Pandora right now, only to think that I've got to wait until November. Augh, the agony!

notaz said:
anexanhume said:
Linux never keeps the RAM empty, fills it with caches and buffers. The second line is the one that matters.

Bah, shows why computer engineer was a better major than computer science :D

Woe is me for being so windows-minded. :D

Still, it was surprisingly snappy. Great work notaz. Now, if you get 32x working, you'll officially have a fanclub on this board.

Now I'm just dreaming of Pandora running ubuntu or any linux distro based on linux kernel 2.6.20 >= + a huawei E220 HSDPA modem for internet while out and about...... hint hint :rolleyes:

second thoughts, scrap the above blatant request... a running linux distro is more than enough, I can sort out the huawei modem myself. :D

just watched the video again, well done again notaz!!

javaJake said:
The RAM usage is stupendous! With CUPS and whatever other junk is running in the background turned off, I'll bet you could get even more multitasking going than just two or three programs. :)
I think that CUPS is not running on those versions any, seeing they are minimized already? Notaz, care to comment if CUPS is enabled on that build?

If it is, well, all the better, even more services that can be disabled to save memory ;)

Benjiro said:
So, based on the data at the end of the clip, the amount of free memory is: 2224 + 45460 = 47.684MB free memory.
Thats not quite right. If you add up the -/+ buffers/cache used and free you'll find they add up to the total mem. The free mem is simply the -/+ buffers/cache free value.

okay, well I hope for WiFi drivers to come up soon. I was starting to recall no WiFi on Dev boards. Well, I wonder if we can get sneak WEP cracker in there :p

Great work Notaz !!!

After my Preorder is placed, i can lean back now and wait for my Pandora.
I watch the software dev part just to see, that in less than 2 days Ubuntu and Firefox running on that nice device ! That is incredible.

Nice gift to us after a probably stressy day for all you devs !

Great work notaz... again :D

I would be very interested to see some of the most popular firefox-extensions running:

noscript, addblock+, videodownloadhelper (to fill the gap till we have gnash/swfdec/flash), aardvark, things like those :)

Excellent work Notaz! Thanks for sharing your progress.

You should know that your hard work on the Pandora thus far has made many more believers that have turned into pre-orders!

-Origin

great, thanks a lot for that video. actually, the most amazing part is the speed when you go to the preorder site :)

really, 45MB free with firefox up is quite solid. and most of it seems to be eaten up by xfce, which can easily be trimmed down.

thanks for your great efforts!

Back