Ubuntu Edge - Ubuntu Smartphone Announcement?

The cut off to get to anywhere near the target was around $700 and under.

IF the campaign fails it might be called marketing, problem is -  this is very negative marketing. If they cant  sell 40,000 Edges with all the publicity this campaign has had. Then what chance is there of a manufacturer picking up the OS to develop a Ubuntu phone.

I can see the conversation now:

Samsung: So you would like us to build a Ubuntu phone, I see you had a campaign which got a lot of press  where you tried to sell a small run of 40,000 Edges.  How did that go.

Canonical:    Well it wasn't successful, we only managed to sell 20,000

Samsung:  Have a nice day

^  Wash and repeat for every manufacturer

There's a reason they are trying to do this themselves I believe.  They have been saying for a long time now that they are trying to get a manufacturer on board to make a Ubuntu phone. I believe they were struggling to do so and that this was meant to be the proof of demand they needed to try and convince them.

"The biggest crowd funded project to fail" is not a title you  want .

I hope they pull their finger out and introduce a better Perk structure otherwise I don't see much hope.  As I've said, most crowd funded projects will have an affordable Perk and then other premium perks which bring up the average/unit.  They seem to want to not take any lessons from other projects.  People are wanting a dock for this thing, but no, they have said they wont do it - a phone you can dock without a dock offering -> great . So badly thought out a campaign its laughable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its sad that they dont even have the specs finalized. also, no fucking removable battery or storage... I was PISSED when I saw that

Or storage? Really!? 128GB plus cloud is not enough?

When using as a pc and phone - 128gb should be ok as well.

I hope they release more affordable sets, it would be good to see it. A dock! How good would a dock be! Stupid idea not releasing a dock!

Make a dock $100 - rip off for a dock, but seemingly everyone who ordered a phone already will order a dock

I've already ordered a Motorola Lapdock for my phone. I had to buy an $80 converter to make the MHL work with charging and USB OTG all simultaniously (fuck you, Samsung) but I'll live. If I understand correctly, the Samsung Smart Dock for the Galaxy Note 2 should work just fine with the Ubuntu Edge. So if by some miracle this phone actually comes out, thats a good option for a dock

Nice. Lets hope, wait and see if that helps. It is still a pretty expensive phone for a niche crowd, but $695 certainly looks better than >$700 

It was dead panning at $780 for days on end. They had a reddit asking for suggestions. In the end they just dropped the price.

>still no dock

What is wrong with Canonical?

Also, I got all the parts to make my Lapdock work with MHL. Sadly, it isnt displaying my phone's screen properly. Maybe its an incompatable refresh rafe?

One thing that bothers me with the potential of pre-ordering a phone: what network band does it use? "LTE and GSM", fine and dandy, but there's 40 different frequency bands they can choose. In Canada there are 3 bands in use for LTE and if you buy a phone designed for one carrier it won't work for another carrier unless they are using the same band, and there's no guarantee that any of these bands will be available in any other arbitrary country. 40'000 people buying a phone from all over the world are going to need multiple different radios. I couldn't find any information about how they're going to handle this problem, and that worries me.

US == North America == Canada for the purposes of frequency banding. There are multiple frequency bands that are in common use between North America and Europe, each used by a different carrier, some with good coverage and some with poor.

Most likely they'll use the 2600 band, but it would be nice if they would let people know ahead of time. How many people are pledging for an Edge that are going to find out it doesn't work with their preferred carrier and they need to change? Or maybe that's why they aren't releasing it, because a lot of people will hesitate if they know they'd have to switch in order to use it.

@WizardStan

"What networks are supported?
The Ubuntu Edge is an unlocked device that works in all countries with GSM/3G/LTE network services. For GSM, which covers a lot of countries but not all operators, the Edge will support the 850, 900, 1800, 1900 and 2100 MHz frequencies. You can check support in your country here."

you'll find this in the update section

@EssoAir

stop telling people what they should do. I understad why they are doing what they do and I freakin like Ubuntu Edge how it is

"What networks are supported?
Neat.So GSM compatibility with all carriers (duh, that's easy enough) and LTE compatibility with Telus and AT&T. That's kind of disappointing. If they'd gone with the 1700 band they could have hit Verizon and Bell, the largest carriers in the USA and Canada respectively. 2100 is apparently being slowly rolled out but who knows when that'll actually be in place.

but verizon still hasnt rolled out Voice Over LTE so you wouldnt have access to Voice and Texting if you used the edge on verizon

when did I tell people what to do? quote?
here: (although that wasn't my point...)

[...] If I were them, I would have done this. I also think they could sell stuff like MHL adapters, HDMI cables, and other accessories that work well with Ubuntu for Phones. [...]
$750 is still too much. They need to add a new option for $600 with only $64 gb of storage
>still no dock

What is wrong with Canonical?

Just want to mention it again, because there seemed to be some confusion. "The Ubuntu Edge will be a limited edition production run available only to supporters of this campaign.."

Oh? Ya, I made suggestions of CANONICAL should do. Not what other people on the boards should do. Dont see any harm in that

Well at least they broke pebbles  crowd sourcing record for amount pledged. Of course it doesn't mean much if its not successful.

6 days remaining to raise a further $21.7 million, hmmm

Back