Ubuntu Edge failed, but looking for an alternative. N900 maybe?

That Neo900 project is interesting…

I'll keep that in my favourites and keep an eye on it, thank for the information.

EDIT :

There are better hardware in phones nowadays than what they want to put in Neo900, but the results are a bit disappointing.

I've always thought that Android is slow an painful to use, even on last-gen hardware…

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a feeling Nokia in the not too distant future will dump Microsoft like an ugly prom date.

$700/device is steep. And with specs lower than the Ubuntu Edge, this thing will never be very popular (the OP however small will always have a larger community than this phone sadly)

In this case it is not about being popular (they don't need lots of buyers), it is about having a very unique and as open as possible phone. I owned a Freerunner once though and it was buggy as hell and it was not even capable of performing as a basic phone. 

I assume all issues are now solved but I will certainly not pre-order as eagerly as I wanted the Ubuntu Edge.

I did buy a regular N900 and already have emacs installed, so there is no rush ;)  Only thing I still have to do is change the keybindings.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, pretty few keys on the keyboard. I had good results changing the layout to map Shift+Fn combinations, since they can be entered comfortably. Unfortunately they don't work on all keys and not in all applications (haven't tried emacs).

Phones are the most portable devices there are. Therefore it is good to be able to use it as a general purpose device too. Even in the house the phone is typically closest, then the Pandora and then the laptop. I'm typically using the closest one good enough for the task and not too uncomfortable to make me walk further. In most cases it is the Pandora. Before that it was the phone.

^ The Ubuntu Edge never had a KB either, and the Nexus 4 is currently Canonical's play child for demonstrating Ubuntu Touch

Where the n900 wins for me in hardware - ignore the MHz argument for a moment - apart from the keyboard it has the besat resistive touchscreen, that little kickstand and an integrated FM transmitter. I use the latter on a daily basis and love it.

Back