Ubuntu Edge failed, but looking for an alternative. N900 maybe?

b_o_b

Advanced Member
Ubuntu Edge would have been an amazing phone and we still might see something like that in the future. It will probably take a bit longer than I was hoping for though and I want to have an alternative for my current locked down android phone without physical keyboard. 

I have been interested in a N900 for a long time but every time I wanted to buy one it always seemed to be outdated. But maybe it is just as with the Pandora it might not be the latest greatest, but having an open device with active community is worth just as much and probably even more.

I just saw that someone sold one for a reasonable price (less than 100 E) with an additional battery and I might try to get one. Anyone here has experience with the N900? Does it still have an active community? Recommended, not recommended? 

It's a nice phone, but be careful of the usb port... they have a tendency to pull itself from its soldering and leave you unable to charge it... (This is what ended my time as a N900 owner)

Before my phone died I was dual booting meamo and nitdroid :) Very nice phone

I like it very much and I don't think it's outdated because currently there seems to be no alternative with a keyboard and a non sucking eco system.

But the shortcomings that you probably already know about are real: limited RAM, high kernel swappiness produces quite a lot of lag; the small battery won't last the working hours if you are not careful; GPS aquisition is awfully slow; old SoC; no ESC/TAB keys by default; no multi touch; (partly) non free and rather simple default ux; root shell is not included by default (but easily installed from the repo)

If you can live with that (like myself), you'll probably be happy running the community SSU (the thumb version sounds nice, but I haven't tried it yet). Suprisingly Nokia mostly got it right: not too exotic apt-based system with the ability to install packages from any repo out of the box. The community is still active and provides the repo/dev env (though last time I checked some month ago the crosscomiling toolchain repo was still owned by Nokia and offline). It feels a bit like a Pandora phone: most things simply work, you can even program and compile on it:)

You can install other distributions, but I have no experience with that.

I'll probably get a second one for the case the first fails, unless a better alternative materializes.

Didn 't have problems with the USB port for over 2 years now, hope that doesn't change soon.

I like it very much, but use it much less since I've got the Pandora :)

Nice, the usb issue is a good one. I will certainly check that before I buy the phone.   

AFAIK, some people fixed the USB problem with hot glue and/or enlarging soldering joints.

I'm considering getting a N900 as my next phone too.

Galaxy Note 2 is another contender, but I'm slightly annoyed by Android, I would like to get rid of it, not getting another android device…

with Cyanogenmod's new privacy features (giving apps fake informations), a good Android device is not a bad choice either. I hope my Nokia N9 gets a Sailfish port any time soon. But since it usees an OMAP3630 with PowerVR I'll be stuck with an old kernel (2.6.32 I belief) forever : (

Did anyone preorder the Sailfish phone from Jolla?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've still got a N900....don't use it as phone, but as a shirt pocket linux computer....my pandora is a pants pocket linux computer.... ;)

The N900's overall are very well made....FWIW, I've had several N900's and never had the USB port issue....however, I've been aware of it and alway been gentle when inserting/removing the cable.

Currently, dual booting it maemo and Arch linux....plus using Debian from inside maemo by running EasyDebian......

Fun little device...and there's still a pretty active group or at TMO forums..... 

http://talk.maemo.org/

Windows Phone is shit. If I were Nokia I would cut my losses and ask for help from the very nice Finnish government. Linux is far superior

I've still got a N900....don't use it as phone, but as a shirt pocket linux computer....my pandora is a pants pocket linux computer.... 
I totally agree and might not use it as a phone as well if the phone side doesn't appeal to me. Then it will be my small digital agenda with emacs and org mode on it. My Android phone is basically good enough as a phone, but there are very limited custom roms and doesn't have an interesting community. 

N900 seems to qualify and also has a keyboard, I love a phone with a keyboard . I can't believe there still isn't a good high end Android phone with keyboard. Are they waiting for Apple to create one? Pretty sure there is a market for it, I have been waiting for it for at least 3 years and I am/was willing to pay the premium price. 

I wish Nokia would just come out with a new N900. It cant be that hard, right?
Wouldn't that mean forfeiting Microsoft's subsidy or suchlike?

Windows Phone is shit. If I were Nokia I would cut my losses and ask for help from the very nice Finnish government. Linux is far superior
The problem is that the CEO, Stephen Elop, last job prior to going to Nokia was at Microsoft.....

So, any wonder that he pushed Nokia to switch to MS OS...... ;)

I was in Finland when he got hired. everyone kept talking about it like it was the end of the world "oh no a non-finn is running the most important finnish company"

So, any wonder that he pushed Nokia to switch to MS OS.....
If NOkie had gone to ANdroid they would have been reduced to bits the same way. There's no way they could compete against Samsungs and the like.  
Perhaps......but my point was just that it should not have been a surprise to anyone that Nokia dropped linux based OS's for MS product, given Elop's background....

Perhaps if Nokia had stayed with maemo or meego, etc, and properly promoted the products, it might have survived in better shape....but who knows......

I dont see what was wrong with Symbian (other than the odd fonts and overall low-res ness - that can be fixed easily)

That is a great idea, had a look at OpenPhoenux before, but could not source a case. Some board members will sureley call the tech obsolete :)

Back