U.s. Mk2 Release?

yoosty

Still Fresh
Waiting to order the Mk2, but I'm chomping at the bit here. I've been stalking these forums for the past 2 weeks like a fiend!
Any idea on the release date for the states? Or at least to Hong Kong (lik-sang)?

I know a U.K. order is a possibility, but it seems like I'd be able to get a better deal on shipping somewhere closer <_<

yoosty posted on May 11 2006 at 12:53 AM said:
Waiting to order the Mk2, but I'm chomping at the bit here. I've been stalking these forums for the past 2 weeks like a fiend!
Any idea on the release date for the states? Or at least to Hong Kong (lik-sang)?

I know a U.K. order is a possibility, but it seems like I'd be able to get a better deal on shipping somewhere closer <_<

You might just want to buy the current one now, the screen is much nicer anyway. The only thing the GP2X M2 gives is a rotated stick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmm.. Another reason I'm waiting for the Mk2 to come out is that I would like to get some more responses on the new screen and how much the 45 deg. rotation makes a difference.

I'm sure I would be happy with either screen, but that joystick/pad thing seems like it may bug me.

Although the current edition IS on sale...

yoosty posted on May 11 2006 at 01:02 AM said:
Mmmm.. Another reason I'm waiting for the Mk2 to come out is that I would like to get some more responses on the new screen and how much the 45 deg. rotation makes a difference.

I'm sure I would be happy with either screen, but that joystick/pad thing seems like it may bug me.

Although the current edition IS on sale...

Well the screen is said to be like the GP32 BLu in the new ones. I have both (GP32 BLU, GP2X) and compared them both. The screen on the BLU is very faded with washed out color and poor black level and bad contrast. The current GP2X has a nice high contrast screen with vibrant color, it isn't close. It is almost like comparing a crisp PSP screen to a passive faded display like a Game Gear.

thelamer posted on May 11 2006 at 01:18 AM said:
Wow at I would have to doubt it is that bad .

And considering you don't have one maybe comparisons like that are a little premature ?

I said *almost* like. It isn't quite that bad (PSP vs GG) but I have compared the BLU to the GP2X and the BLU screen looks pretty awful in comparison. I didn't think they could even make LCDs that washed out and faded anymore. You almost have to try hard to find such a poor quality screen these days as the average has become much better than the "old days".

Please ignore DaveC because he's talking out of his arse -- he hasn't actually seen the new screen.

And the only factor which has been likened to the BLU screen, is the viewing angle -- nothing else.

The new screen is in fact said to be sharper than the old one, and has no scanlines. It's a matter of taste as to one's preference.

Besides, there is gamma correction in the new firmware so there wouldn't be any issue with contrast.

EDIT: it has also been likened to the BLU regarding the absence of scanlines, meaning the pixels are more precise.

gaterooze posted on May 11 2006 at 03:27 PM said:
Please ignore DaveC because he's talking out of his arse -- he hasn't actually seen the new screen.

Be that as it may, aren't the new screens coming from the same source that the GP32 screens came from? I'm not sure where I picked that up from, but I think I saw it mentioned in one of the threads. If so Dave is probably making a fairly good guess.

Haven't really seen anyone bitching about the new style screen though...

gaterooze posted on May 11 2006 at 06:27 AM said:

And the only factor which has been likened to the BLU screen, is the viewing angle -- nothing else.

The new screen is in fact said to be sharper than the old one, and has no scanlines. It's a matter of taste as to one's preference.

Besides, there is gamma correction in the new firmware so there wouldn't be any issue with contrast.

be nice. that wasn't called for.

memoryex posted on May 11 2006 at 07:47 AM said:
be nice. that wasn't called for.

Sorry, but I'm sick of DaveC being a doomsayer and spreading misinformation without the facts -- it tends to snowball and puts a lot of people off unnecessarily.

Wait until somebody who actually has the new screen posts.

No one who has seen it has said anything about it being dim or washed out, in fact they have said the opposite.

yoosty posted on May 11 2006 at 12:53 AM said:

I just e-mailed GP32Z about it, and they said that the MK2 was estimated to ship on May 22.

gaterooze posted on May 10 2006 at 10:27 PM said:

Because we all know that Contrast Ratio has nothing to do with that problem. If the screen sucks - you cannot fix it in software... it is a simple fact. At one point all you'll be doing is darkening the whites...

gaterooze posted on May 11 2006 at 05:27 AM said:

Well no I am talking from what has been said, which was that the new screens are the same ones used in the BLU+. If that is true than my above statement stands. But yes it won't be known for sure until they are out.

Crazy Goat posted on May 12 2006 at 02:52 AM said:
gaterooze posted on May 10 2006 at 10:27 PM said:

Because we all know that Contrast Ratio has nothing to do with that problem. If the screen sucks - you cannot fix it in software... it is a simple fact. At one point all you'll be doing is darkening the whites...

Yes exactly. I am glad you said it because if I did I would just get flamed. It is true, adjusting the gamma will just darken the bright colors and not effect black level meaning you will actually be making contrast (the differece between light and dark) worse.

Also just for shits and grins I dug out my old BLU and looked at it. Yes the contrast is poor but I noticed something else...INTERLACE! Yes the GP32 BLU does it too. You have to move side to side instead of up-down (the GP32 scans 90 deg to the GP2X) to notice. You can not see them as good as on the GP2X but they are there. I just think the reason they are not as noticeable on the BLU is because the poor contrast hides it better. The GP2X screen is brighter and has much better contrast so you see everything better, including interlace.

I thought that the BLU+ screens were supposed to be brighter and have better contrast than the original BLU screens, am I wrong?

I quite like the levels of the original BLU screen, it's very easy on the eyes.

jmetal88 posted on May 12 2006 at 03:28 AM said:
I thought that the BLU+ screens were supposed to be brighter and have better contrast than the original BLU screens, am I wrong?

I quite like the levels of the original BLU screen, it's very easy on the eyes.

Yes I have both and compared them. The BLU+ is *slightly* better but still not to great compared to the GP2X. You have to compare side by side and be super anal about it to notice anything really, not much different.

DaveC posted on May 11 2006 at 08:27 PM said:
Yes the contrast is poor but I noticed something else...INTERLACE! Yes the GP32 BLU does it too. You have to move side to side instead of up-down (the GP32 scans 90 deg to the GP2X) to notice. You can not see them as good as on the GP2X but they are there. I just think the reason they are not as noticeable on the BLU is because the poor contrast hides it better. The GP2X screen is brighter and has much better contrast so you see everything better, including interlace.

Maybe also it is more likely that people turn the screen up/down more than left/right owing to the fact that their arms will likely remain the same distance from their body while their hands tend to tilt the display as you press buttons or change your grip.

TelcoLou posted on May 11 2006 at 08:29 PM said:
* Glares at topic *

OMG, ROFL :lol: :lol: :lol:

TelcoLou is killing me with all the humor. (humour??)

He is probably one of the funniest mods.

nubie posted on May 12 2006 at 05:53 AM said:
TelcoLou is killing me with all the humor. (humour??)

He is probably one of the funniest mods.
He's also pretty much the only one that regularly posts here atm.

Oh noes! I've strayed off topic! TelcoLou will come and eat my soul with that scary avatar-dude of his!

*runs away screaming in terror*

yoosty posted on May 11 2006 at 01:53 AM said:

my advice mate,wait until they start being shipped until you put an order in and read some reviews from people on the forums and then ask em. No use guessing what it will be like when very few people have actually used the thing yet and with most people its personnel opinion innit (apart from the joystick on the first batch hoho) Saying that thou ordered mine last week so i`m already stuffed :p

Back