Lik-sang.com Closes Down

God damn it... Does anyone know of any other sites that sell goodies like Lik-Sang did? (VGA adapters, import games, all that good stuff)

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 29 2006 at 09:11 AM said:
considering how fast computer technology is advancing, I'd still say consoles. I have a laptop from 2003 that wont play oblivion.

Uh huh... and can your Megadrive play Gran Turismo 4?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anhaedra posted on Oct 30 2006 at 09:49 AM said:
God damn it... Does anyone know of any other sites that sell goodies like Lik-Sang did? (VGA adapters, import games, all that good stuff)

www.play-asia.com

White Demon posted on Oct 30 2006 at 10:49 AM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 29 2006 at 09:11 AM said:
considering how fast computer technology is advancing, I'd still say consoles. I have a laptop from 2003 that wont play oblivion.

Uh huh... and can your Megadrive play Gran Turismo 4?
My Megadrive is 15 years old. can you name any computer from back then that could even play quake?

Laptops are completely different, yours probably has a crap Intel or low-end ATI/nvidia card. My laptop is from 2002 and will play new games, albeit at low detail levels.

Mudi posted on Oct 30 2006 at 05:39 PM said:
Laptops are completely different, yours probably has a crap Intel or low-end ATI/nvidia card. My laptop is from 2002 and will play new games, albeit at low detail levels.
No actually. Mine plays half life 2 and call of duty 2 just fine ;)

Apparently some dude at Gameworld Network seems to think Sony actually did a good thing; for those interested in the article, here's the link.

Can't say I agree with the man; I think most of his arguments are plain bullshit. For example, he claims every imported PSP/PS3/whatever is a lost sale for European retailers... Yeah, sure, but it's an extra sale in Japan or the US, so it levels out. It's not like European retailers have an intrinsic right to be the only ones selling to European customers, or have they? Or do we now have grounds for bitching at Sony too for producing their hardware in Asia, since it means lost job opportunities in the US or Europe?

I also have some serious doubts about Sony's reaction; they claim (and he also touches on that subject) that the closing of Lik Sang due to legal costs they couldn't pay was bullshit on Lik Sang's behalf, since Lik Sang didn't contest the charges, hence didn't incur legal fees... What bullshit is that? They didn't contest because they knew Sony would outspend them in the courtroom anyway; does a company have to go bankrupt on lawyer's fees, burn through its whole cash reserve until it has so many debts it'll never be able to pay it off, before it can claim it got pressured out of the market by a bigger player that was planning on outspending them in the court room? Better take what money you made and leave the arena while you're still standing instead of engaging an invincible enemy on 5 fronts simultaneously.

The only point I'm willing to consider halfway valid is when he says that every PS3 that's exported from the US to Europe means there's one less PS3 for the US market, which means US gamers will have a smaller supply than Sony had in mind for them. This then means many US gamers will have to do without, or pay inflated prices on either eBay or by "importing" through Lik Sang a unit that was meant for a store shelf near them in the first place... Sure, if you look at it like that, it's bad for consumers both in Europe (higher price tag, though they'll get it earlier) and the US (scarce supply and/or higher price tag). But then, who's fault is that? Lik Sang sees a market demand, and tries to make a buck on it. That's the whole fucking idea behind capitalism, from which Sony also profits, and more than its fair share... If Sony doesn't want to do a worldwide launch they shouldn't bitch if somebody else does their job for them. It's not like Sony will be losing any money on it anyway.

Anyway, I never liked Sony, except for their Walkman's, before they went bad (or before I noticed, at any rate)... Their diskettes were utter crap, so were their CD-Rom drives; their digital music players don't play mp3s, but convert them to some proprietary format which can't be imported back into the computer without quality loss, if at all; they treated the Aibo fans like shit by getting all the sites with custom Aibo firmware shut down; their PS3 is being misused for political agendas (price went way up and units ship a lot later because they want to use the consoles as a launch platform for their goddamn blu-ray drives). And now this... Then again, I haven't bought Sony equipment ever since I bought a couple of Diskette boxes of which half were broken out of the box, and a CD-Rom drive that broke within months, while the old one I had, an old 4x model, still works today... The head unit in the car, my stereo components, the DVD players and TVs we bought since the early nineties would've been Sony, if not for that... In fact, I was insulted when someone gave us a small Sony TV as a present, and not because it was small, but because it said "Sony". Odds of me ever buying their shit again were zero even before they forced Lik Sang out of the market.

Whoah... Long post... I must be really annoyed!

RyokoSparda posted on Oct 27 2006 at 09:56 PM said:
I've bought stuff from Play-Asia not that long ago, this is new it states on every PSP item that they will not ship to the EU everything else is perfectly fine even PS2 games.

See here
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-be-49-en-70-t5l.html

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-io-49-en-70-z3p.html

You can't even get a screen protector or a memory stick.

But you can buy a Jap PS2
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-o-49-en-70-e77.html

or a PS2 memory card
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-p-49-en-70-1xo.html

SCEE must have had a few choice words with them.

SCEE are just plain bastards there must be something that can be done about them in the courts they are just pissed off because PSP is region free and the PS3 is going to be aswell

I wonder if they would still import one to Australia, as I never saw any warnings on any of those links provided. Not that I could be bothered trying though, I don't care about PS3 anyway, and I bought my PSP locally.

Sony's email says the PSPs don't have a CE mark so can't claim to meet EU safety standards -- does that mean Japanese PSPs are significantly more dangerous than EU ones? What a lame argument. Even the humble GP2X has a CE mark, they've left it off in order to cause this whole thing. OmmmmmmG..........!z

Back