Twitterix - Plural Of "pandora"?

What is the plural of "Pandora"?

• Total voters

Pandorai, but this choice omit in poll. But this state for Greece. If we accept that plural depend on used language, then Pandoras is correct for English.

and FYI: I'm not sure about German plural, but Czech one is Pandory, where "y" has pronunciation as "i" in bin.

EDIT: I'm definitely have bad sight :)

Ikarus said:
Thats modern Greek actually .. Pandores->Πανδώρες (Modern Greek), Pandorai->Πανδωραι (Ancient Greek) . Normally is not used as Pandora is one/unique, but can be used poetically or with an allegorical meaning.

If you want to be politically correct, and keep the Greek origin/root of the word, you can choose one of the above (in the quote) plurals. But other than that its up to you to invent/create a word that can be used and pronounced easier by everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
x68000 said:
Red Baron is by far the most coherent answer.
Shouldn't you be playing with your Pandora?
Stop posting here :)

EDIT:
German plural would be "Pandoras". however it sounds stupid.
I am all for the Czech way:"Pandory". The problem is, there is absolutely no reason to use the Czech version :(

Don't the plural of Greek words is ending with "i"?
IE : sillabus -> sillabi

hch said:
Alec  said:
None of the above:

Pandorae

at least someone who didn't forget his latin :)

Too bad Pandora is not latin... :p

Ikarus said:
Ikarus said:
Thats modern Greek actually .. Pandores->Πανδώρες (Modern Greek), Pandorai->Πανδωραι (Ancient Greek) . Normally is not used as Pandora is one/unique, but can be used poetically or with an allegorical meaning.

If you want to be politically correct, and keep the Greek origin/root of the word, you can choose one of the above (in the quote) plurals. But other than that its up to you to invent/create a word that can be used and pronounced easier by everyone.

Yep, the issue has been discussed already in the Current Status of all the Parts. So, to summarize: if you want to go old-school, go for Pandorai; if you want to KISS, go for Pandoras.

Creature XL: I think that everybody use their nature language form anyway. I mean when talking with friends at home.

--
Pandora is quite known ancient name so it was already adopted and formed if languages that require word forming. In English it is Pandoras. If talking about ather form for plural of Pandora then it is only for this forum purposes. In this case I only one other option and it is ancient Greek form - Pandorai (In My Humble Opinion). :)

KodeIn said:
Don't the plural of Greek words is ending with "i"?
IE : sillabus -> sillabi

Pandora is a feminine name :
General Rule, there are plenty of exceptions though (Modern Greek)
Feminine: singular: i,a [η,α], plural: es [ες]
Masculine: Singular: os [ος], plural: oi [οι](pronounced as i)
Neutral: Singular: o,i [ο, ι], Plural: a [α]

Ikarus said:
Pandora is a feminine name :
General Rule, there are plenty of exceptions though (Modern Greek)
Feminine: singular: i,a [η,α], plural: es [ες]
Masculine: Singular: os [ος], plural: oi [οι](pronounced as i)
Neutral: Singular: o,i [ο, ι], Plural: a [α]
Thanks, I'm less dumb than this morning :D

2rppgnc.jpg

cronopio said:
In hebrew you'll say:
1 - Pandora
2 or more - Pandorot

Anyway I'll call it(her) "My Pandy" :)

I like the Hebrew "Pandorot" - Land of Israel.

Back