Turbografx Emulation

kfuse

Just wondering about turbo grafx emulation...I'm assuming the issue has been dead for over a year now...I was just wondering if there are going to be any optomizations to any of the emus out there.

Squidge, I'm not sure that I understand the value of your response. With what little you've written, it could be interpretted a number of ways. Are you saying that we will only see TG16 emulation improve after the launch because it will only improve on the Craigx? Or are you saying that it will improve on the GP2X around the time that the Craigx launches? And if that's the case, what does the Craigx launching have to do with the timing of the improvement? If you have the ability to improve the emulation of the TG16 on the GP2X today, why make users wait for another product to come out first? That seems pretty cruel and unnecessary, IMHO.

i think he's saying, the emulation will be better on more powerful hardware, nothing more. i doubt squidge has a vendetta against people who want to emulate pc-engine :p

or does he...?

in any case, it's not like someone needs squidge's permission to work on a tg/pce emu.

or do they? squidge has many secrets. we can't hope to know all of them in this lifetime.

procyon said:
Squidge, I'm not sure that I understand the value of your response. With what little you've written, it could be interpretted a number of ways. Are you saying that we will only see TG16 emulation improve after the launch because it will only improve on the Craigx? Or are you saying that it will improve on the GP2X around the time that the Craigx launches? And if that's the case, what does the Craigx launching have to do with the timing of the improvement? If you have the ability to improve the emulation of the TG16 on the GP2X today, why make users wait for another product to come out first? That seems pretty cruel and unnecessary, IMHO.
It isn't cruel, it is just that on the GP2X you need to optimise to get good performance. On the Craiginator someone will be able to port a bloated PC spaghetti code mess with no optimisation and it will run full speed. I guess what he is saying is that he doesn't want to invest the needed weeks/days to get it running well on the GP2X when it can be done in a few hours on the Craiginator. It is a matter of time.

I would like to see it running well on the GP2X though but all of those that worked on it have left or gave up on the emu. GP2X Engine had the best sound of all. The others were very unfinished in the audio dept. The problem is that even if you overclock GP2Xengine as high as it will go there is still alot of frameskip in many games. It is like it is locked at FS2 or more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess... I'd figured someone would work on one and port it to craiginator...

I dunno I figure turbografx wouldn't be that resource intensive on the f-200 but I dunno maybe I'm wrong. But I get the gut feeling we won't see another emu for TG16 till craiginator...which kinda sux....not being able to play y's sux and not being able to play any of the soldier series games sigh...well guess thats how it is... <_<

garzyboi said:
I guess... I'd figured someone would work on one and port it to craiginator...

I dunno I figure turbografx wouldn't be that resource intensive on the f-200 but I dunno maybe I'm wrong. But I get the gut feeling we won't see another emu for TG16 till craiginator...which kinda sux....not being able to play y's sux and not being able to play any of the soldier series games sigh...well guess thats how it is... <_<
There is a decent one for the GP32 and the source was released but no one did anything with it. All it needed was saves, 16 bit rendering, and CD support to be perfect.

I'm doing a PC-Engine emulator. Only on PC right now, and it's a pain in the ass to work on for some reason (and I never really feel like doing it). But I'm still doing one >_>

And all of the PC Engine emulators for GP2X or GP32 have horrible looking code that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Probably because they're these weird amalgamations of Hu-Go plus whatever else could be scraped from other emulators. And Hu-Go is not pretty.

.... that's all I felt like saying in this thread.

Exophase said:
I'm doing a PC-Engine emulator. Only on PC right now, and it's a pain in the ass to work on for some reason (and I never really feel like doing it). But I'm still doing one >_>

And all of the PC Engine emulators for GP2X or GP32 have horrible looking code that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Probably because they're these weird amalgamations of Hu-Go plus whatever else could be scraped from other emulators. And Hu-Go is not pretty.

.... that's all I felt like saying in this thread.
Have you talked to David & Cédric of MagicEngine. I'm sure they'd be more than willing to give you some help. They've been doing PC-Engine emulation for years. It's funny how easy people think some things are.

Exophase said:

I've suspected this for some time now... The fact that all the existing PCE EMUs were abandonned when so close to finished suggested that the remaining work was hindered by sloppy/illegible code...

None the less, I don't see how the Craigenator will fix the existing engines - the sound doesn't suck in GP2X Engine because of insufficient processing power... the fixed frame skip in the other (I forget what it's called, I haven't used it in so long) isn't adjustable, and I presume if the source were available and it were just a matter of adjusting a parameter, we would have seen another version by now... I guess someone will have to port over another PCE EMU...

Meanwhile, I've gone and invested in a TurboExpress and a NEO 64MB PCE Flash Cart, so I'm no longer a slave to winds of chance when it comes to my PC Engine goodness! ;)

procyon said:
Well, there's a couple of people working on PCE emulation (I've continuing with an emulator I started from scratch last year for example). Once it runs plenty of games with sound on the PC, then it'll be ported to another system - which system depends on what I have at the time. If I have a Craiginator or similar, then that'll get the port first. If not, then it'll probably be either Gp2X or JXD first.

Porting existing PC emulator to handheld devices is fine, but I think we all know now that the existing code bases are UGLY, which hampers development and makes a lot of people lose interest.

I thought Vobbo's emu was based on his old PC version from years back? Wasn't his written from scratch? Just wondering.

geise69 said:
I thought Vobbo's emu was based on his old PC version from years back? Wasn't his written from scratch? Just wondering.
Yes, but he's left now and there's no source code, so we can hardly make his emulator any better.

Squidge said:
geise69 said:
Yes, but he's left now and there's no source code, so we can hardly make his emulator any better.

Yeah he disappeared like a ninja. :ph34r: Which is sad since his emu was quite promising. Of course so is yours squidge! =D I'll get a Craigenator just for your two emus.

Yes, the unfortunate thing seems to be that he came here for the money rather than the community, so when he didn't get as many donations as he thought, he run off. Shame really.

Just wondering what about Ootake for PC. This emu has full Turbo, Supergrafx, and CD emulation.
This emu also comes with the source code. Is a port of this possible for the 2X? :unsure:

nixeon4x said:
Just wondering what about Ootake for PC. This emu has full Turbo, Supergrafx, and CD emulation.
This emu also comes with the source code. Is a port of this possible for the 2X? :unsure:
Hmmm...yeah I actually forgot about Ootake for PC. I actually installed it a couple months back to compare it to my official version of MagicEngine. It's really quite impressive. Not sure what it's coded in.

geise69 said:
nixeon4x said:
Hmmm...yeah I actually forgot about Ootake for PC. I actually installed it a couple months back to compare it to my official version of MagicEngine. It's really quite impressive. Not sure what it's coded in.

I think it's coded in Japanese :p

markiej said:
geise69 said:
nixeon4x said:

I think it's coded in Japanese :p

What!? No Japanese knowledge? Come on...everyone knows japanese. Easiest language to learn...especially write.

Back