Quake Display

iCeD00D

Still Fresh
Welp maybe its me being so spoiled in the days of the GLQuake....... but I was wondering if the GP2x Quake grafx where supose to be 'blocky' and 'choppy' on my unit? Don't get me wrong, I luv the idea that now I can play one of my all time favorites, but I was just wondering about the 'looks' of it..... I know that on my Dell AXIM X51v, it looks smooth as hell, but on this unit, there seems to be something missing.. unless thats the way it was ported? Sorry for being such a noob at this, but I just got my GP2X for Christmas and I'm still learning about it. No better way to learn then by asking questions... Also if anyone has any links to any sites that would be helpfull in my understanding of the GP2X scene, that would be great (yes I know there's a sticky on top, but sometimes ppl have other sites they use for research)... tks and looking forward to being a part of this community now that I got my unit...

GPQuake uses software rendering (like the original Quake) so yes, it will look *blocky* compared to something that can use OpenGL. A Dell AXIM X51v is a much faster unit than a GP2X also, so things like Quake will run smoother. I do have to say that when I first played Quake back in the day, my experience was much like it is now on the GP2X. GLQuake has spoiled you if you think Quake's graphics are anything better :)

I have to clock my GP2X to 280Mhz to get an acceptable frame rate, and even then it is still slower than I would like, it is playable though. There was talk some time ago about a port of GLQuake using GPU940 to try get either better speed, or a better look, but I don't know how feasible this project was, or even if it started.

yodaofborg - Thanks for the quick response. Yeah seeing that I'm an 'old man', I remember firing up the ole Quake on my Pentium 133 (which back then was the top of the line processor) and playing my &$&#*@ off .. then GL Quake came out and I just had to go out and buy a Monster3D card for the grafx..... Ahhh the good ole days..... Anyways... I guess I was expecting to see what my X51V displayed .... Thanks for the information ... one question though.... It seems that when fire up the game, the default sound is boosted to the max .. is there a way to keep the default settings? Also when you say you had to 'clock' your GP2X to 280Mhz, how do you do that? Is there something in the game cfgs or before I launch? Thanks again...

iCeD00D said:
yodaofborg - Thanks for the quick response. Yeah seeing that I'm an 'old man', I remember firing up the ole Quake on my Pentium 133 (which back then was the top of the line processor) and playing my &$&#*@ off .. then GL Quake came out and I just had to go out and buy a Monster3D card for the grafx..... Ahhh the good ole days..... Anyways... I guess I was expecting to see what my X51V displayed .... Thanks for the information ... one question though.... It seems that when fire up the game, the default sound is boosted to the max .. is there a way to keep the default settings? Also when you say you had to 'clock' your GP2X to 280Mhz, how do you do that? Is there something in the game cfgs or before I launch? Thanks again...
I have a Dell Axim X51v too and the resoultion is 640x480. GP2X's resolution is 320x240 while the screen size is not very different. That's why you get blocky image when you run Quake on GP2X.

My personal idea; Dell Axim x51v is a good piece of hardware but the controls are awful to play games. So I'd stick on GP2X to play Quake.

Last edited by a moderator:
The easiest and most practical way to change clock speed for a program is by launching it from Gmenu2x. I run Quake at 240Mhz and adjust the screen to a slightly smaller size, and everything is nice and smooth :) The only thing that kind of ruins the fun is the F100 stick, but I imagine this is not a problem on the F200.

Man thanks for the response guys......... Once I'm at home I'll have to mess around with some of the ideas here...... I'm a little familar with scripting, I just have to learn how to execute/develop them on the GP2X..... BTW Alex, I did dload the Gmenu2x you mentioned and have Quake on the 'desktop' but how to you set the settings to specific programs? Also is the Gmenu2X not 'tap' friendly? In other words, I can use the touch screen function when I'm in the 'regular' menu mode, but the touch screen doesnt work when I'm in GMenu2X....... That would be sweet if I could enable that... Tks again..

iCeD00D said:
Man thanks for the response guys......... Once I'm at home I'll have to mess around with some of the ideas here...... I'm a little familar with scripting, I just have to learn how to execute/develop them on the GP2X..... BTW Alex, I did dload the Gmenu2x you mentioned and have Quake on the 'desktop' but how to you set the settings to specific programs?

I guess your Quake icon is in the Games Tab, you can add a clock value by editing the file in \path_to sd_card\gmenu2x\sections\games\ .
It should look like this for example :

title=Quake
icon=skin:icons/quake.png
exec=/mnt/sd/games/quake/quake.gpe -width xxx -height xxx
clock=xxx
wrapper=true

Also is the Gmenu2X not 'tap' friendly? In other words, I can use the touch screen function when I'm in the 'regular' menu mode, but the touch screen doesnt work when I'm in GMenu2X....... That would be sweet if I could enable that... Tks again..
The developper created gmenu for the former console, that has no touchscreen, the battery status don't work with the F200, but it's a great desktop though.

Last edited by a moderator:
In recent Gmenu2X builds, you can edit the clock speed and enable *best* ram timings by highlighting the app you want to change, and pressing select. You simply then change its defaults, including volume. Because Gmenu2X can be launched as an app, I see no reason it cannot be used by F200 users for launching games that need over clock and nothing more.

Touch screen support might be nice, but personally I do not care, if the developer adds this support, great, but it will not affect all GP2X users.

Back