Pcfx Emulation

nixeon5x

Still Fresh
Just wondering since Temper is going to one of the top emulators for the 2X, Is PCFX emulation possible? :ph34r:

nixeon5x said:
Just wondering since Temper is going to one of the top emulators for the 2X, Is PCFX emulation possible? :ph34r:
No, I've thought about PC-FX emulation in general before and there's no way I'm even going to attempt that for GP2X. It has a relatively fast RISC CPU and the graphical capabilities are totally off the charts compared to PC-Engine/CD (even SuperGrafx). It has the SGX graphics (2 layers + 128 sprites) AND a chip that can produce 4 layers with affine transformation and alpha blending (which can be microprogrammed, like the Saturn VDP2) AND a chip that can output an additional bitmap layer that's compressed... and all of those have complicated priority control and output in YUV space too (although GP2X does support YUV natively)

It's just way too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
nixeon5x said:
No, I've thought about PC-FX emulation in general before and there's no way I'm even going to attempt that for GP2X. It has a relatively fast RISC CPU and the graphical capabilities are totally off the charts compared to PC-Engine/CD (even SuperGrafx). It has the SGX graphics (2 layers + 128 sprites) AND a chip that can produce 4 layers with affine transformation and alpha blending (which can be microprogrammed, like the Saturn VDP2) AND a chip that can output an additional bitmap layer that's compressed... and all of those have complicated priority control and output in YUV space too (although GP2X does support YUV natively)

It's just way too much.

Ok, If not the 2X than can the Pandora handle the complications of this system? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was actually wondering whether the pcfx would be possible for the pandora. I guess it's less about whether it's possible and more about whether any one can be bothered :p

I would be very grateful if you did attempt it though, chip chan kick on the pandora would be awesome :D

Back