Triple Triad X

Looks great, I was wondering how this project went. :p
But please, don't tell me you added the Random rule too. e.e

reallynotnick -> thanks :) The cards there are the original tt deck, others will be created and provided and it is possiable for people to make their own at home.

Draken -> yes, random is in ^^

Paradox -> I know I write annoyingly long posts, but thats because I try to write in detail to avoid confusion on subjects - a little bit of reading would of answered your question many times over ^^;;

Seriously this looks great. I can't wait to start playing it when it's released. I believe it to be one of the most anticipated games for the gp2x.

Keep up the good work!

Wow, I hadn't heard of this but now that I did I MUST HAVE IT!!! Where do I donate? :D

By the way, Shuffle or Boogie is a must in the soundtrack list. Waa I love Twiple Twiad. And I have no idea why I wrote it like that. I guess too much excitement makes me silly.

i'm glad so many people are this interested in the project, its so motivating its unreal xD Thankyou all for the support ^^

I wasn't going to put any donation links out until I had released at least a beta because it seemed rude to do it prior, but if you want to I belive you can send stuff to aoyx63@dsl.pipex.com xD

I just finished the inventory system so now you can view any items npc's have given you as well as any boards/backgrounds and equip them for playing triad with - glad to get it done because it was one of those links that connections two or more sections of code together and brings everything into a nicely connected mold :)

Sephnroth posted on May 22 2006 at 05:06 PM said:
reallynotnick -> thanks :) The cards there are the original tt deck, others will be created and provided and it is possiable for people to make their own at home.

Draken -> yes, random is in ^^

Paradox -> I know I write annoyingly long posts, but thats because I try to write in detail to avoid confusion on subjects - a little bit of reading would of answered your question many times over ^^;;

your right, i didnt read it it was too big :) just looked at the screens

Last edited by a moderator:
quick update

everything now running so much faster now, i've gone around and optimised everything and each part of the game hits the 60fps cap (my code is uncapped, but it seems sdl apps on the gp2x are capped at 60fps, im guessing to keep time with the vsync)

i've been filling in all the gaps where features were missing and basically im practically done. Got an in-game menu now, inventory, you can change your options from within game using the menu, you can save your game (works, saves your current deck, the games "world state", your position, your options config, etc) and you can reload to continue later, it tracks your play time for the fun of it, theres now a real AI which has beaten me once or twice (when it had good cards! *defends himself*), you can now choose which cards you want from the AI when you win depending on capture rules, the ai will take YOUR cards if you loose and the rules allow it too ;)

so whats left.. enginewise, not alot. I've asked the people helping me with artwork etc to speed up just a tad so I can release a beta so I hope to get that out soon (but i keep saying that.. but i really mean it this time). Theres a few commands I want to add to the script engine (easy) and im sure I will think of more to add to it as I go along. I also need to add sound, but I already have music so that wont take long.

I need to stress test it with music too whilst I think about it, before I was getting disgusting slowdown with sdl's mod playback, but i havnt tested it with music on the gp2x since I did all the optimising so lets see :p

and to wrap up, a quick screenshot of the ingame menu:

http://treeofjurai.homelinux.com/code/ttx_...ts/ttxnew07.jpg

the name I chose when I started in the top left, my play time in the top right, menu options in center of screen (all of which fully coded and work). Intend to hopfully add the name of the location you are currently at to the top middle of the screen between name and playtime too

edit: just to note, that purplish gradient and border colour is not the default. Its a custom one i set using the in-game options menu - it gets saved and reloaded with your profile. You may setup your own GUI colours whenever you like, the default is the blue one seen in most screenshots.

edit 2: its pretty obvious, but just incase someone misses it - that 500+ fps in the screenshot is it running on my pc which has an extra 2.2ghz and a big gpu up on the gp2x. The game runs fast on the gp2x, but not THAT fast ;)

Sorry for bumbing this thread but, is there any updates?

I'm really looking forward to this! :D

just a quick one as im running off to catch a train, off to the bath music festival :D

there is an update due and beta is still mid preperation, ED has got me some fantastic tiles up too! but i recently had to format my pc (naturally the source is backed up, dont worry!) so im still putting my system back together and dont even have an irc client yet :p Need to get my dev env installed once more so im able to even compile my source, lol

but it wont take me long, will update when im up and running again :)

... and some good news from me, too:
I had a major project at work which I finish off today... I'll then have more time to do the graphics :)

:blink:

How could I miss this? I can't wait for this to be released! I loved this game in FF9 :lol:

I'm going to be keeping an eye on this one, it's looking amazing :)

It's the FF8 card game, not that of FF9. (which was very weak compared to FF8 Triple Triad IMO)
Unless you made a typo of course. :)

It's the FF8 card game, not that of FF9. (which was very weak compared to FF8 Triple Triad IMO)
Unless you made a typo of course. :)

I thought FF9 had a similar version of the game? Could you explain to rules of Triple Triad for me then? :)

Edit: Nevermind, found the rules on Wikipedia - doesn't sound too different really...there do seem to be quite a few more rules involved, but it all sounds great fun.

Will card collecting be a strong focus, and will there be many to collect?

Sephnroth posted on May 22 2006 at 02:56 AM said:
I have been -so- ill its unreal. First i'm taken down by a tooth problem, then I get knocked out for a week with gastric flu (like, seriously. completly -imobile-. even sipping water was making me sick :/ and because i was sick/wrenching so much on an empty stomach.. i bruised my stomach and lungs! hoorah!) and TWO DAYS after recovering from that I catch a cold and my nose is still running now. I demand a new body, this one is falty.

Yeessh I feel ya I had alocohol poisoining once couldnt keep down even water for like 48hrs but gastric flu sounds like murder :ph34r:

L33T dude you are to still be able to code my hats off to you sir :p

Excellent work dude thanks for all the hard work

I have a usable pc again! I have my IDE of choice installed and setup, an actual irc client and all the things that a good pc requires :p I havnt installed the gp2x toolchain yet but the moment I do I shall rip the music code out of the ttx engine because its totally killing the frame rate atm and I just want to get a beta out for everyone because its been far too long and I just want to get one out there. So I will be disabling music though might add in sound effects and will then hop into the level editor and try and push out one complete town. Will hunt down khato and ED and see if theres any new tiles and sprites for me.

On another note, I have also finally been putting a website together as well so I may host additional ttx (and other project) information there if I get it finished. But anyway, good to be back nice and proper ;)

I absolutely can't wait for this game Sephnroth, glad to see you're sticking with it :D

Back