Transferring PS1 files

Rukal

Still Fresh
Hey guys, I've been trying to figure out a way to do this for a while, was hoping someone here could help a little bit. My girlfriend put about 100 hours into Harvest Moon: Back to Nature over a fairly long time, and wants to finish it up.... only problem is, both of our playstations have more or less broken down, and we'd like to be able to keep playing it through emulators, however we cant bear to lose that save-file. I'd like to get the save file on to my computer from the memory card somehow, but I haven't a clue how. I looked into this little gadget but it doesn't seem to be recognized as a mass storage device on computers. Any ideas, or gadgets out there to help me?

Best I could find in like 10 minutes, http://translate.goo...rd_adapter.html

It's translated from Japanese but it looks promising so good luck!

Looks like a simple install of a driver then just use a utility to copy everything over and format it properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know any easy way, it seems the original PSX has become real retro and it's hard to find anything for it.

There are a few "hard" ways by using the console itself:

- transfer through serial cable to PC, console needs to be chipped to boot burned CD, need serial port on PC, need to solder custom cable

- use cheating device like Xplorer/Xploder and transfer through parallel cable that connects to it and PC, needs parallel port on PC

both need old enough PS1 that still has parallel/serial ports.

Or you could send your card to someone for dumping, perhaps I could do it for you as I have all that gear that I use for emulator development.

Another method would be to use a ps2 with actionreplay and an usbstick.

I seemed to recall around the time of the PSX that there was at least one memory card backup device. A quick search pointed me to "Dexdrive" and "Maxdrive." I think the one I remembered may have been the Dexdrive.

I'm not clear as to how it works, but the comments about the product suggest it can be used to backup memory cards to PC. You may need a converter to change the raw data to an emulator-readable format, but I'm not clear on that, either. Emulators now may be smart enough to recognize any common memory card data formats.

Problem with the Dexdrive is that you need a serial (I think) port for the thing. I have one somewhere and back in the day transferred all my PS1 saves to my PC - which is how I'm continuing my Final Fantasy VII game from 14 years ago!

I have a PS2 controller and memory card reader to USB designed for the PS3, I used that and it works fine. I brought it about 2 years ago when I worked for Chips Ltd.

Problem with the Dexdrive is that you need a serial (I think) port for the thing.
Luckily serial-to-USB cables are quite cheap now. :p I had to buy a converter box for my Wacom Intuos tablet (from 2000) and it was around $50 back in 2002. Not only that, but the drivers weren't easy to come by. Now they're like $10-15, and I'd bet the drivers are built into Win7 and other OS! :lol:

Back