[SOLVED} SD card has renamed itself and is not accessable?

Trinitis

Still Fresh
So, yesterday I set my pandora to SD mass storage and hooked it up to my PC. Transferred a few episodes of anime to it, then switched back to normal mode, watched an episode and went to bed.

Today, I boot up my pandora, and none of my programs are showing up. I poke around for a bit and come to realize that my SD card appears to have renamed itself to some type of symbols the system cannot understand. If I go into the file, I can still see all my data, but the base folder name is not allowing it to be accessed.

Here is a picture :

http://imgur.com/VmWR9

How can I fix this? It won't even let me mount the SD card back into mass storage to access it from my PC, and my PC does not have a SD slot on it.

Edit : It appears it's not the SD card, but a file on my pandora that is screwed up. The file is still there even when the SD card is removed. Once the SD card is put back into the pandora, I can actually opened the file pictured above, and I get another file with a bad name. Then inside of that is my pandora folder.

Anyone have any clue how I can fix this?

Edit 2 : Having discovered it was a file on the actual system that was corrupted, I re-flashed the system and its working great.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, yesterday I set my pandora to SD mass storage and hooked it up to my PC. Transferred a few episodes of anime to it, then switched back to normal mode, watched an episode and went to bed.

Today, I boot up my pandora, and none of my programs are showing up. I poke around for a bit and come to realize that my SD card appears to have renamed itself to some type of symbols the system cannot understand. If I go into the file, I can still see all my data, but the base folder name is not allowing it to be accessed.

Here is a picture :

How can I fix this? It won't even let me mount the SD card back into mass storage to access it from my PC, and my PC does not have a SD slot on it.
This happened to me one, I think I mounted the card to another folder and copied contents to a fresh card then formatted, something like the below should mount it and copy files to another card then Gparted to sort the rest.

# sudo mkdir /media/temp

# sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /media/temp

# sudo cp -v -R /media/temp/* /media/cardname

Obviously this is only good if you have another card, I would suggest a usb -> sd card reader they are incredibly useful and cheap as chips,

Edit you could try gparted to fix it?

Here is a picture :

This happened to me one, I think I mounted the card to another folder and copied contents to a fresh card then formatted, something like the below should mount it and copy files to another card then Gparted to sort the rest.

# sudo mkdir /media/temp

# sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /media/temp

# sudo cp -v -R /media/temp/* /media/cardname

Obviously this is only good if you have another card, I would suggest a usb -> sd card reader they are incredibly useful and cheap as chips,

Edit you could try gparted to fix it?

I don't really know what gparted is. Sorry. I'm fairly new to this OS. :( I'm guessing the sudo code stuff above is done in terminal? Also, yes I don't currently have a second SD card :(

Well I did the first two commands in terminal, and it mounted the card into temp, and I can access all my files. I guess this is a work around for now. I'd really like to figure out how to fix it though.

Edit :

So I removed my SD card, and the faulty file is still there. It's not my SD card, it's the file on the system. Any ideas how to fix this? as a work around, does anyone know what the name of the file is normally? I can just make a folder with that name and the card should mount normally, right?

This is not quite related to the immediate issue at hand, so please pardon me.

However, if possible, once you've retrieved your stuff from the card, would you mind reformatting it and testing it on a Microsoft Windows based computer with H2Testw?

It would be best to use a USB card-reader for this, as, as meandu229 notes, they're extremely cheap and very useful to have to hand. (I'm not sure whether it would work if you were using the Pandora's mass-storage mode instead.)

The reason I mention this is because this sort of behaviour can occur with counterfeit, fake-capacity cards, and I think it's something worth ruling out.

Do you have access to Windows?

Simply put the card in there, make an error check and give it a proper name.

I've had this a few times as have others and if you can get the PND of Gparted running at all, you simply 'unmount' the card with it and then run a 'check' and it will fix it. If you cant get the PND working, you can also use DOSFStools if you can get wi-fi working.

Someone will need to tell you the correct command to install it to the filesystem via the terminal and 'opkg install': something like 'sudo opkg update' then 'sudo opkg install dosfstools' (don't try that until someone gives you the proper command though (I cant find the old threads on this and lost all my bookmarks, sorry)).

Once you've got dosfstools in the Pandora, you can then run a chkdisc upon the SD card and again it should correct the name and make the card useable normally again. Again you'll need the proper command from someone, as I've forgotten it. Its along the lines of 'sudo chkdsk /media/mmcblk0p1' which should check the first partition of the lefthand SD slot.

Sorry that's rather vague but there is recovery options from the Pandora itself, so you should be able to get it sorted out somehow.

Back