Touch Screen Use

Jel-op

Still Fresh
Hey all, I just did a quick search and I didn't find much information on what exactly the touch screen will be used for. So i was wondering if you guys could tell me how it could be put to use?

Web browsing and other apps, anything other than games which use the gaming controls. Some Linux PC games will probably use it too.

Anything that requires mouse control basically could be used in this way, like the person above said, apps, programs, games that use mouse control, plus IF DS emulation was possible then thats a pretty good usage as well!

How would DS emulation work? Would the screen be split in half horizontally and the bottom half used for the touch screen like the DS? That sounds pretty difficult to do.

Actually yeah, that's a possibility. Imagine it like a PC DS emulator, except replace the mouse with an actual touchscreen.

If we get DS emulation, that is

I've never used a pc ds emulator before. Is that what they're like? How likely is it that someone would even be able to make a ds emulator for the pandora?

Jel-op said:
How would DS emulation work? Would the screen be split in half horizontally and the bottom half used for the touch screen like the DS? That sounds pretty difficult to do.
Actually that's exactly what no$gba, ideas, and every other DS emulator does (to my knowledge). Unfortunately we only have 480 vertical resolution to work with, and the DS screens have a total of 384. So whoever tried to make a Pandora DS emulator would have to get creative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom screen on the left, Top screen on the right - it uses all the screen then.

Wow, there's actually pixel room to have 2 DS (both screens) on the Pandora isn't there... of course this may not be truly feasible emulation-wise (I could be wrong here), but it's an interesting thought... probably a little cramped for controls and only one person could use touchscreen at a time :p

Jel-op said:
This has been covered before. There are many, many options for displaying the dual displays required by a NDS emulator. It is not a problem at all compared to actually writing a NDS emulator.

As to the original question, it can be used for any purpose that a programmer wants to put it to. It is a general-purpose input that can be used for just about anything.

I can't believe that nobody's mentioned the potential use of the touch-screen for a drawing application. :p

Prometheus said:
I can't believe that nobody's mentioned the potential use of the touch-screen for a drawing application. :p
It's been mentioned in other threads, they also said it should theoretically be possible to do pressure sensing in the sens of light|medium|hard.

Yannick said:
Prometheus said:
It's been mentioned in other threads, they also said it should theoretically be possible to do pressure sensing in the sens of light|medium|hard.

Yes, I know. :) I just meant in this thread. :lol:

If such a thing is even half as good as Colors! for the Nintendo DS, I'll be very grateful indeed.

Prometheus said:
That'd be cool as. I'd use it all the time. Especially if you could save your drawings and bluetooth them.

yeah, like any device, if it has a driver, it just has to be put in the X-server config and it will work. from bluetooth toserial tablets from 1996(first-hand experience) :)

Jel-op said:
That'd be cool as. I'd use it all the time. Especially if you could save your drawings and bluetooth them.
Another use I can think of would be quick note-taking. There was a DS application (I seem to have forgotten its name, unfortunately. It *may* have been "DSNotes", but I could be wrong, there.) which did this primarily - it saved notes as monochrome bitmaps with teeny tiny filesizes, and as a result had incredibly fast saving and loading times (sub-one-second, easily). You saved by hitting Start when you were done scrawling, and if memory serves notes were loaded by hitting Select (and could be scrolled through by holding down R and using the d-pad; the most recent note was loaded up automatically when you started the application).

I used to use it for shopping lists. :lol:

Prometheus said:
Jel-op said:
Another use I can think of would be quick note-taking. There was a DS application (I seem to have forgotten its name, unfortunately. It *may* have been "DSNotes", but I could be wrong, there.) which did this primarily - it saved notes as monochrome bitmaps with teeny tiny filesizes, and as a result had incredibly fast saving and loading times (sub-one-second, easily). You saved by hitting Start when you were done scrawling, and if memory serves notes were loaded by hitting Select (and could be scrolled through by holding down R and using the d-pad; the most recent note was loaded up automatically when you started the application).

I used to use it for shopping lists. :lol:

That'd be really cool if someone made an app like that for pandora. It'd be great if i forgot my books. I'd use it pretty often too.

Back