Touch Screen Reliability

We should take a poll. The only problem I've had with my Original DS is the lack of interesting games / applications for it. No hardware problems, ever.

this isn't the guy who was complaining about the fragility of USB sockets and how easy they are to plug together "wrong way round" is it?, I just push USB plugs in, not drive em in with a lump hammer regardless :p , likewise, I have 6 devices with touchscreens, never needed recalibrating on any of them (one was acting like it did, but it turned out to be a corrupted driver), you only have to touch em lightly, not hit em with a shovel :p

lulzfish said:
We should take a poll. The only problem I've had with my Original DS is the lack of interesting games / applications for it. No hardware problems, ever.
Lack of interesting games? What planet do you live on? I can name a few games that are interesting for the Nintendo DS series.....New Super Mario Bros, Zelda Phantom Hourglass, Trauma series, Phoenix Wright series, Castlevania series, Pokemon series, Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs games, and many others I could go look up. It sounds like by "lack of interesting" you mean "lack of games with awesome amazing graphics" cause when it comes down to gameplay there are quite a few games for the DS that will bring pleasure to just about anybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
My old DS Lite had this problem, but I pretty much used the shit out of it. Hinge crack, broken L button, no audio out of the main speakers, odd micro-scratches on the touch screen from using it without a protector over time. I never really abused it much... I've dropped it a couple times, so that might be the problem, but I didn't really feel like I was pushing hard, but who knows.

It'll be interesting to see how the Pandora screen holds up over time. I figure a decent, non-cheapo touch screen was used on the Pandora, compared to the DS, so hopefully I won't run in to any trouble. I likely won't use the touch screen on the pandora as much anyway... just some quick clicking and maybe a bit of doodling.

Derek said:
lulzfish said:
Lack of interesting games? What planet do you live on? I can name a few games that are interesting for the Nintendo DS series.....New Super Mario Bros, Zelda Phantom Hourglass, Trauma series, Phoenix Wright series, Castlevania series, Pokemon series, Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs games, and many others I could go look up. It sounds like by "lack of interesting" you mean "lack of games with awesome amazing graphics" cause when it comes down to gameplay there are quite a few games for the DS that will bring pleasure to just about anybody.
I should point out that many of those games are derivatives of previous entries in long-running franchises. For what it's worth, I've found a lack of interesting games on the platform too, since I'm not really into "Nintendo Mascot" games these days.

The environment you keep your device in is going to have a big impact on this, since temperature and humidity can affect the accuracy of a resistive touchscreen. My old HTC Apache needed touchscreen recalibration once or twice a month, but that's because I carried it everywhere, and I work outdoors. That means sub-zero temps in the winter and 90+ in the summer, not to mention constantly going in and out of the damp. Any resistive touchscreen would need occasional recalibration with that sort of treatment. Nature of the beast.

Wheels said:
Derek said:
lulzfish said:
I should point out that many of those games are derivatives of previous entries in long-running franchises. For what it's worth, I've found a lack of interesting games on the platform too, since I'm not really into "Nintendo Mascot" games these days.
That is understandable. I could make a list of none long running franchises that are good but I can't seem to think of any right now.

The L button on my launch DS Lite sometimes doesn't work, even though you can hear it clicking fine. Never had problems with the touchscreen never had to recalibrate it, and I've played Elite Beat Agents to death as well as many other touchscreen heavy games since I've had it. I've seen the state the DS Phat touchscreens were in that were on display shortly after launch, and it wasn't pretty.

If you're going to stab at a screen over aggressively, that it's not the touchscreen to blame when it malfunctions or breaks ;)

PS: Is it easy to fix the L button issue? :p

The application of a good quality screen protector film as soon as the gadget is purchased has served me well on many, many touchscreen displays I have owned over the years.
Never had a failure yet.

j.pickens said:
The application of a good quality screen protector film as soon as the gadget is purchased has served me well on many, many touchscreen displays I have owned over the years.
Never had a failure yet.
Yup and thats why my DS has screen protectors on both screens. Also my old DS that I trashed I pulled the screen protectors off and the screens looked like it did when I first opened my launch day DS.....So beautiful!

I recalibrate my launch day DS whenever I haven't used it in awhile, but I've never been forced to do it by unresponsive games. I'm kinda curious as to how you guys treat your DSs that you've actually managed to damage them. I've always thought that they were very sturdy.

Anecdote:
I treat my systems pretty well overall. My DS had a bunch of nearly invisible scratches on the top and one big gash in the corner (no idea what happened, just had it one day; I think it gives it character). A week before Christmas, my older brother got New Super Mario Bros. for the DS to play with his girlfriend. Unfortunately, he did not own a DS so he borrowed mine (supposedly, he asked while I was asleep and figures silence gives consent <_< ). He took it to her house a few times, left it overnight once on the 23rd, and brought it back at midnight on the 24th. The next morning, I grab my DS to play while we're all packed into my dad's car heading to our aunt's house. I bust out the DS and a new game and lo and behold, my DS has no stylus. The stylus in my DS was the original one that came with the system. I had never lost one before. I ask him about it and he goes "What the hell? I checked for it before I left her house." We were already driving, so I decided I would make due. I open the DS, start it up, touch the screen to start the game, and find out that the touch screen was covered in gunk. Not only that, the top screen was covered in gunk. And the top screen had a scratch on it. How do you even scratch the top screen of a DS? :blink: I ask him wtf he was doing and then get a napkin my dad uses to clean off his side mirrors to wipe off the screen. I close the lid while I'm reaching for it and when I go to open it, I notice that the scratches on the top have managed to multiply by about 80x. And the paint was scraped off on the edges in about 10 extra places. I point this out to my brother and he tells me to stop whining and was pissy for the rest of the ride. (The game was The World Ends With You, so I couldn't really play it much with no stylus.)

I still have not found out what the hell him and his girlfriend did to my DS. I'm not even sure I want to know. I'm baffled that someone can actually do so much damage to a system in so little time. The system works fine now and I still had my extra stylus that came with the DS, but seriously? WTF?

Rathum said:
I recalibrate my launch day DS whenever I haven't used it in awhile, but I've never been forced to do it by unresponsive games. I'm kinda curious as to how you guys treat your DSs that you've actually managed to damage them. I've always thought that they were very sturdy.

Anecdote:
I treat my systems pretty well overall. My DS had a bunch of nearly invisible scratches on the top and one big gash in the corner (no idea what happened, just had it one day; I think it gives it character). A week before Christmas, my older brother got New Super Mario Bros. for the DS to play with his girlfriend. Unfortunately, he did not own a DS so he borrowed mine (supposedly, he asked while I was asleep and figures silence gives consent <_< ). He took it to her house a few times, left it overnight once on the 23rd, and brought it back at midnight on the 24th. The next morning, I grab my DS to play while we're all packed into my dad's car heading to our aunt's house. I bust out the DS and a new game and lo and behold, my DS has no stylus. The stylus in my DS was the original one that came with the system. I had never lost one before. I ask him about it and he goes "What the hell? I checked for it before I left her house." We were already driving, so I decided I would make due. I open the DS, start it up, touch the screen to start the game, and find out that the touch screen was covered in gunk. Not only that, the top screen was covered in gunk. And the top screen had a scratch on it. How do you even scratch the top screen of a DS? :blink: I ask him wtf he was doing and then get a napkin my dad uses to clean off his side mirrors to wipe off the screen. I close the lid while I'm reaching for it and when I go to open it, I notice that the scratches on the top have managed to multiply by about 80x. And the paint was scraped off on the edges in about 10 extra places. I point this out to my brother and he tells me to stop whining and was pissy for the rest of the ride. (The game was The World Ends With You, so I couldn't really play it much with no stylus.)

I still have not found out what the hell him and his girlfriend did to my DS. I'm not even sure I want to know. I'm baffled that someone can actually do so much damage to a system in so little time. The system works fine now and I still had my extra stylus that came with the DS, but seriously? WTF?

Damn, stories like this makes me to feel very happy to not have a brother. If he behaves that way with a brother, I'm afraid about how he can be with the rest.

Have you considered a vengeance? ;)

So much posts and no info from OpenPandora Team? I'm insterested about quality and durability of Pandora's touch screen.

Speaking of screen protectors, could some please find me 2 for my DSi XL (pictured: 3rd from left)? I can't seem to locate them online.
At the moment, I'm using 2 under-sized screen protectors. :(
If no-one can help, then I'll just look around when I go to Japan next month.

Thanks in advance. B)

DSC02221.jpg

Rathum said:
... and find out that the touch screen was covered in gunk. Not only that, the top screen was covered in gunk....
I still have not found out what the hell him and his girlfriend did to my DS. I'm not even sure I want to know.
Fun fact: some people seem to literally have a persistent coating of 'gunk' on their hands. I took my laptop to a family reunion once and I had to clean off the keyboard and hand rests because apparently one of my cousins never washes his fucking hands. Or something. I don't know. Some people just have terrible hygiene, or they sweat a lot, or something. Ugh.

SONY said:
*gigantic picture*

I bet whenever you see that picture, you jizz in your pants.

However, I've no idea why so many people here have multiple NDSs. Some kind of complex?

XD, really the screen is great, specially long lasting for being a game console unit.

i had over several PDA's and all required calibrating monthly (specially the ipaq units.)

the problems with the screen mostly are due to missuse, and if nintendo hadnt designed it for heavy use
(the cushioned feeling and gummy sides, i bet there would be a real big number of faulty touchscreens.)

EDIT: i always use thumbs for fast tapping on large buttons, im even able to tap on teh keyboard with thumbs so
i always get to clean the screen at the end of the day from a lil stains (every one no matter the hygiene will leave
smears unless you get really dehydrated)

ThaDSman said:
I've had my DSlite for a couple of years now, and I've never had a problem with my touchscreen(I just had to calibrate it once and thats when I first bought it), I would say I used it heavily with both commercial roms and homebrew roms, maybe you stab the crap out of it and that's why it needs to be re-calibrated.

Or maybe you wanna see some sick disturbing test like this one
It nearly gave me a heart attack the first time I saw it :p
i swear if anybody ever does this to a pandora, i will hunt them down

DaMummy said:
ThaDSman said:
I've had my DSlite for a couple of years now, and I've never had a problem with my touchscreen(I just had to calibrate it once and thats when I first bought it), I would say I used it heavily with both commercial roms and homebrew roms, maybe you stab the crap out of it and that's why it needs to be re-calibrated.

Or maybe you wanna see some sick disturbing test like this one
It nearly gave me a heart attack the first time I saw it :p
i swear if anybody ever does this to a pandora, i will hunt them down
...and poke THEM really hard!

Back