Touch Screen

Thunder

Still Fresh
I'm very interested in the Pandora, though I have several questions about the Touch Screen:

1. Is it multi-touch?
I mean like the Iphone, can you use multiple fingers to, say, rotate or expand something?

2. Is a Stylus bundled and is it required to operate the touch screen?
Or would you be operating it with your fingers?

3. How responsive is the touch screen?
Please show a video of how it works. Is it Iphone a-feather-would-be-registered responsive or "normal PDA" needing-to-press-quite-hard responsive.

4. Will the touch screen be part of the main design, therefor much more used in games and apps or more like an extra that "could" be used.

Well?
Answers?

1. No, it's a resisitive single-touch touchscreen.
2. Stylus is bundled, but not required. Fingers also work.
3. Normal PDA, again it's a resistive screen, not capacitive.
4. It is part of the main design, but it's up to the individual developers to use it properly in games. By default it'll be a mouse pointer.

sindbad said:
1. No, it's a resisitive single-touch touchscreen.
2. Stylus is bundled, but not required. Fingers also work.
3. Normal PDA, again it's a resistive screen, not capacitive.
4. It is part of the main design, but it's up to the individual developers to use it properly in games. By default it'll be a mouse pointer.
Thanks sindbad!
Well, not as impressive as I hoped it to be, but hey, it has to stop somewhere!
I sure am impressed by the specifications so I'll probably get this thing!
I've been making DS homebrew games for a while now but was always limited by it's power but attracted by it's touch screen.
That's why this is the perfect handheld for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a trade off capacitive vs resistive.
With the iPhone capacitive, you get the multi-touch, but it requires the touch to be with a conductive material, such as your finger or piece of tin foil.
Resistive touch has greater accuracy and can be triggered by anything firmer than a marshmallow, but you lose the multi-touch, ultra sensitive contact you mentioned. In theory, resistive touch screens can also detect how hard you're pressing, not just where, but I've not actually seen that implemented anywhere.
Personally, I think they made the correct choice. Even if they could have gotten capacitive screens, I would prefer resistive, but that's just me.

For this very device, it's actually more impressive as a resistive screen, since capacitive screens can only be used with fingers, not with a stylus.

WizardStan said:
In theory, resistive touch screens can also detect how hard you're pressing, not just where, but I've not actually seen that implemented anywhere.
The DS homebrew drawing application "Colors!" implements pressure sensitivity. :p

Yeah, but I've got the Ipod Touch for a while now and was always impressed by how well the touch screen worked. And I never knew that you couldn't use a stylus on it (never tried it). But a stylus sure is handy so I guess it was indeed the best choice.
This makes me happy! :p

Now how about a preview of the touch screen? I'd love to see it in action! :)

The Pandora uses the same screen as the Archos 605 WiFi (did I get that right?), I believe. Does that count as a preview? :p

Prometheus said:
The Pandora uses the same screen as the Archos 605 WiFi (did I get that right?), I believe. Does that count as a preview? :p
Good enough, see if I can find some movies of it.

Though I still want to see how the developers have implemented the touch screen.
But that can be done another day.
Actually, it doesn't really matter, I'll get the Pandora anyways. :p

WizardStan said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there's a trade off capacitive vs resistive.
With the iPhone capacitive, you get the multi-touch, but it requires the touch to be with a conductive material, such as your finger or piece of tin foil.
Resistive touch has greater accuracy and can be triggered by anything firmer than a marshmallow, but you lose the multi-touch, ultra sensitive contact you mentioned. In theory, resistive touch screens can also detect how hard you're pressing, not just where, but I've not actually seen that implemented anywhere.
Personally, I think they made the correct choice. Even if they could have gotten capacitive screens, I would prefer resistive, but that's just me.
Maemopad+ and MyPaint on the Nokia N8x0 use the pressure-sensitivity of its screen and translate it into a.o. line thickness. They're both amazing drawing tools.

Prometheus said:
I have a 605 wi-fi- the screen is certainly one of the high points of the unit- very responsive, and I never use a stylus with it

Haha, the only Archos I've touched(was a 605 wifi I think) was at a Circuit City and the touchscreen didn't even work. :x
But I have used Colors! so I'm happy about what it can do. :)

it is always always frustrating for me when i see someone who doesnt know something, especially when I feel like they should. (If you're into this forum, you are probably at least somewhat intelligent) Anyways, instead of just being an ass and insulting you, I am going to still be an ass, but at least teach you something.

There a few fairly common touchscreens, and they all have advantages and disadvantages.

RESISTIVE
works by using two layers of semiconductors. The closer the layers are, the lower the resistance between the two. A computer than uses this information to find the "center of pressure"
ADVANTAGES: Pressure sensitive, can use anything as a stylus, cheap, thin.
DISADVANTAGES: Damaged easily, Not very sensitive, prone to scratches and fingerprints, fingers are very inaccurate, single touch only.
read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Resistive

CAPACITATIVE
works by sensing the capacitance of anything nearby. Touch screens can be designed to accept styli of only a specific capacitance. The iphone registers fingers and fabric soaked in a weak saltwater solution.
ADVANTAGES: very comfortable, very reliable, sensitive to anything that touches the screen, not just pushes on it, can be used with tempered glass making it almost impervious to scratches, multi-touch (up to a few fingers)
DISADVANTAGES: can only use fingers or very complicated and uncomfortable styli, not perfectly accurate, somewhat thicker and heavier than resistive, more expensive, and apple has a patent which make it very expensive to use on the pandora.
read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Capacitive

INFRARED
use in microsoft surface tables, and homebrew setups involving a wii remote. Works be shining an infrared light from inside screen, and a infrared camera. when styli touch the surface, IR is reflected and registered as a touch.
ADVANTAGES: cheap, accurate, can be used with millions of touches, capable of identifying shapes and sizes of styli, sensitive to distance from screen and possibly pressure sensitivity. Any type of stylus can be used, screen surface could be covered with a material totally impervious to scratches, smudges, or breakage.
DISADVANTAGES: very large, deep, and heavy
read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Infrared

STRAINGAUGE
using a large panel on a pivot, spring loaded corners are used to identify the center of pressure.
ADVANTAGES: almost impervious to vandalism
DISADVANTAGES: sensitive not pressure, not touch, large and clunky, primitive technology.
read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Strain_gauge

there are many more types of touch screen, most listed on wikipedia, but I seem to remember an electromagnetic one which required a battery powered stylus.

enigmacipher said:
it is always always frustrating for me when i see someone who doesnt know something, especially when I feel like they should. (If you're into this forum, you are probably at least somewhat intelligent) Anyways, instead of being an ass and insulting you, I am going to do the friendliest thing possible.

I will teach you something, so do yourself a favor and read up.
The explanation was very good, And thoughtful. But the initial part of your post still did not stop you from being an ass, Considering the topic starter had already had quite a few replies from members supplying useful information enlightening the original poster about the questions they were asking, Before you even replied, There was no real reason to take that attitude.

And why is it "always always frustrating" for you to find something that you know that someone else does not, But you feel like they should ?.

Please think before posting in future, If your replies are going to start off like this one. :)

Trooper

Ah enigmachipher.
Yes, I realised I missed something out when I heard about that Resistive vs. Capacitative stuff.
So I instantly went to Wikipedia to fresh up my knowledge on touch-screens. :p
But thanks for the explanation anyway.
And I don't blame you for being an ass, I'm pretty sure I would have responded the same way if I were in your position (I too don't like "dumb" people, or, to be more precise, people who don't bother about stuff that requires to much brainpower). :)

thank you.

It is not as if I don't like ignorant people, I just don't like the attitude they usually assume. glad to see you read up.

Back