Toggling Wifi Icon?

Chaser

With the dropping wifi issue and it's remedy to toggle the wifi on/off from the settings menu, I wondered if a taskbar/desktop icon could be created for this, to make it a one click task rather than at least ten steps?

I cant code as I'm a linux newbie but I wondered if the same desktop icon creation technique from the XFCE to Minimenu tweak could be utilised with the appropriate code to 'toggle the wifi off, then back on, plus then either attempt reconnection to the default wireless network settings as though it's boot up time, or act as a left click on the networks icon on the taskbar inorder to pop up the menu to select from available networks (a two click task)? As at present after toggling, you have to re-select from those available manually, which is not required if you reboot.

Probably worth a laugh to everyone out there but it seems a reasonable idea for a little script to a non-programmers perspective :)

Could Mods please lock this as Solved.

I used the excellent 'Guide Putting Firmware Applications on the Desktop' by SomeGuy99 to get a working wifi icon, see here http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53955-guide-putting-firmware-applications-on-the-desktop/

The terminal commands: cd /usr/share/applications
then: sudo cp op_wifi.desktop ~/Desktop

will create this icon or alternatively for the 2nd command.

: sudo ln -s /usr/share/applications/op_wifi.desktop ~/Desktop/op_wifi.desktop

will link to the original file as a shortcut instead of a copy.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you need nor want the sudo. This will cause the copy or link to be created with root as the owner. Stands to reason that a user may write to his own home directory ;-)

Fair enough SteveM and cheers for your input ;) .

I was following others instructions, as linked, in which they suggest those commands, so perhaps you should let them know? I merely reproduced them here to clarify, that my daft request of a question and even more stupid, self suggested possible solution, is of course not required.

Back