To Buy, Or Not To Buy (dilemma)

peanutman

Still Fresh
Website
www.peanutsoft.com
I recently met a person that didn't like his GP2X, and decided to sell it.
He is willing to give me his GP2X, a 1GB SD card, and a PSU for 150 UK Pounds.

It's one of those "first edition" GP2X's. That's what scares me a bit though.
First I wanted to wait till march, untill the "official" release, because I'm scared something might change in the new versions, so I won't have it.

What do you people think, is it a good deal? Or should I wait until March and buy a new one via GBAX or something?
I don't really mind it being 2nd hand, as long as it all works. It's just the fear that I'll miss out something if I buy it now.

Thanks,
Reinout,

No one knows if anything is going to changing. If you are asking this question then it is best to wait until you are certain. A Gp2x (£125) + 1 gig card (£40) is only £165 so you won't be making a large saving with all this doubt.

I don't know... if I order from GBAX with a 1GB card it will kost me about 180pounds with shipping.

And the 150 pounds deal comes with a PSU (which costs like 20 pounds) (and I will need one anyway).

I don't know... is there any guarantee the "official release" won't have significant hardware changes?
I can live with the joystick being replaced, but I would shoot myself if the new versions had a new LCD because the scanlines are a hardware problem, or something like that.

Reinout,

If you aren't sure, don't.

A lot of people complain when it wasn't perfectly what they wanted. I personally love mine, and 3 guys at work are ordering it after playing mine.

Wait till you are 100% sure. 10-20 pounds isn't bad for piece of mind.

I was very worried before I got mine in case it wasn't what I wanted, but I have to say - I am incredibly pleased with it and glad I went ahead in the end.

If it is the kind of thing you want (You didn't comment on what you are really looking for), and you can bear some minor irritations (joystick and screen - although neither bother me. I love the joystick and the screen looks great to me ;) ) and don't mind keeping up with the updates, you could consider going ahead.

Try it out, if you're able to. See if you like the feel of it, the look of it, how it handles. If you like the hardware, and you like the software that's coming up (and obviously, software will just get better and better and bigger and bigger) then I say go ahead ;)

But in the end it's your decision of course. Just evaluate it against your needs. As someone said a while back, if they bring out a new one, it'll probably be compatible, and will be a long way in the future most likely (otherwise we'd know more about it). Furthermore, if you always wait in case something better comes out, you'd never get anywhere as technology keeps on going so fast (Is there ever a good time to get a computer? Won't there be a better one out in a few weeks?). On the whole, I still reckon it's a good purchase :)

Thx for the reply.

But I'm sure I'm buying one anyway :)
I'm pretty informed about what the GP2X can/can't do. I've been a "lurker" on this forum for about a month now. I've read about all the problems the GP2X can have and such, but I still want one :p

I would like it for developing, making some apps for it, maybe as mp3/movie player, playing some homebrew, and hopefully SNES emulation once there is a decent emulator (Squidge Snes seems to be comming up great :D, or so I hear).

The question is just: buy a 2nd hand first edition with 1GB card and PSU, or buy a new one once they are released "officialy" in march (and pay more).

Thanks!
Reinout,

Pay more! Pay more! It's up to you really - it all depends on how you feel about a used (for two weeks mind you) handheld device. Wear and tear couldn't really be a factor, so I'd say go for it! You get a PSU as part of the deal, so that's like nailing two birds with one stone.

what the hell? the supposid "official release" is march now? where the fuck did that come from?

dont buy a 1st edition, theyre riddled with problems

though i guess if it has a problem and you have the warranty you can send it back. not worth the hassle i dont think

I don't believe that there is any evidence to support this talk about an "official release". I think that this stemmed from lik-sangs list of things they WANTED fixed for the second "official" release (and advertise it like it's guaranteed to happen).

dont buy a 1st edition, theyre riddled with problems
I have a first edition and mine is problem free! (well, except the universal problems such as scanlines....).

If you are sure you want a gp2x, then you might as well look into purchasing it from this person you know. However, you should probably see if you can get him to lower the price, that seems a little bit high considering it's used.....

EDIT: my answer to that other thread of yours:
I don't know who came up with the "official release" stuff, but i'm pretty sure it is already officially released. It would be a big mistake for them to significantly change the hardware, so I'm pretty sure they won't (thanks to craigix carefully watching over them tongue.gif ). About shops allowed to sell the gp2x, i believe any shop is allowed to sell the gp2x. Play-asia sells them and I don't think they're an "official" retailer. I have also heard of other sites selling the gp2x, but I don't think they are "official" either. I'm pretty sure this "official release" stuff came around because of what lik-sang said being interpreted incorrectly.

Some people say that craig said that there would be an official release in march, but I haven't heard anything about this....

buy! buy! buy!

i bought a cool joystick cap from "DaveC" and it rocks. so joystick probs are cured.

i have not touched my consoles since this and the DS came into my life..heheh.

and if a new GP2X does come out, im gonna buy it!!!! I am very happy with this one right now.

:D

I'd say something reeeeeeeeally useful to your predicament but...you posted in the wrong section, this is the GP32 section, sorry.

Back