buy it or buy it not?

ok here's one:
the gba with the flash linkers have the emu capacity of the GP32. It may not run as fast, but the gp32 emu's are under dev'd anyhow. It will take some time to push the SNES emu thru to playble levels. If you think the GBA is gonna be emu'd on the GP32 , then yur gonna have to wait. All the emu's on GP32 as of now have been based of previous works. Thus porting them was relativly easy. The Arm processor is an old and genius processor that most CS people can work with.

The GBA will win this battle , no doubt.

My debate lies on whether or not the GP32 has anough over the GBA.

GBA has emu's folks, dont deny this.....

GP32 has divx, which the GBA will never have without expensive hardware add ons.

Sony is working on a handheld as we converse. This will probably make the GP32 obsolete, although i wish it wasn't so.

you can't seriously give GBA that much credit over the GP32. True, GBA can emulate...but yet again you still need a flash linker to do this. What does that mean? more money to spend. By the time your emulating your GBA, the cost of the GBA is about the same as the GP32.
Also, the GP32 has SMC cards which are versatile, universal media that can be used in many different media apllications. The GBA does not have this opportunity (unless you buy another peripheral to add on.)
What it comes down to is that add ons just don't cut it what your trying to make a system better than it is. When your system is limited (GBA) its going to make the peripherals your adding limited in nature also. I have a GBA, I have a flash linker, I emulate. It still doesn't compare to the universality of the GP32.
AS far as Sony goes with the handheld, I could care less as a gamer because another handheld coming out in the market is always inevitable.
Listen up, there will always be another newer better system to grace the world of gaming. There will always be something bigger, better, more versatile. BUT as of right this very second as I am typing...the system that caters to the Hardcore gamer and retro gamer in all of us is the GP32. It has its flaws, and it may take a while to get 1 great Emu but as time passes I believe the Emu world for the GP32 is only going to get better.
GBA, and the new Nokia Engage coming out doesn't have anything at all over on the GP32.

Besides, the GBA's resolution isn't great at all for most emus.
It's about two times too small, so you'll either be getting an image that is squished/compressed, or one where you have to scroll to see the full screen.

As for Sony coming out with a handheld... do you have a link? :)

I'll believe it when I see it.

Probably time I came clean. I'm the gaming editor for HEXUS.net, Europe's biggest independant PC hardware news & reviews site. I've been messing about with my GP32 for just over a week, and am preparing to write the most extensive (and unbiased - thanks IGN) review of the hardware on any high-traffic website.

If you REALLY want an honest opinion of whether to get the GP32 or GBA, wait for my full review. I've got a couple of photos up and some initial musings on our forums at http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?threadid=17981.

--jo "directhex" shields

Back