Time To Make Some Money

Xenu

I think it's time for OP-team to make some money out of this. Increase the price from $330 to $349 wont make much difference. Why not double that increase to $369 or $379 for all the hard unpaid work you do? Or if you don't like money ;) why not increase the price and hire a code monkey to polish the software since that seems to be a disapointment with many users. If people knew that some of the money went directly to a software developer I think that they would be willing to pay $369 or $379 - I know I would.

While I think all of us agree that OP making more money is good, I'm not sure how further price increases may adversely affect sales, especially in Europe (outside of the UK). Since the price is based on the USD, the Pandora has recently become MUCH more expensive for those on the Euro, which has plummeted to less than $1.20 USD to 1 EUR.

I would hire a ninja code monkey. Code monkeys are a dime a dozen.

I'm happy with the O/S, haven't used Linux since 2005. It will fall together in a nicer fashion soon enough now that we have Pandori in the wild.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

There is a developers donation fee when you order you're pandora it is optional. Also this is a waste of a thread. ;)

Craig should hire some of those guys who are good at persuasion and let them transport Xenu to the townhole, so that he can work for free there. He'll be happy there, because he gets something to eat from time to time and can enjoy his masochistic disposition.

mali said:
Craig should hire some of those guys who are good at persuasion and let them transport Xenu to the townhole, so that he can work for free there. He'll be happy there, because he gets something to eat from time to time and can enjoy his masochistic disposition.

:)
All I'm trying to say is that we've got the pandoras cheap. If you count all the unpaid hours the team has put into the pandora and they still lost money from the whole deal. And now the OP-team will raise the price by $19? You think I have a masochistic disposition?

Last edited by a moderator:
There were R&D costs that had to be covered, which only had to be paid once. I can understand all the hype right now, but in the long run the price has to be competitive. OPT can do what they want, but for me personally 300eur is the limit and if it is raised above that, I won't buy one.

The masochistic disposition was just a joke :) I just wanted to point out that you are asking for flaming from 2nd batchers, but now that I think about it, there might not be that many 2nd batchers on the boards right now.

If Pandora goes to 400 USD + 24 shipping than I might as well buy a netbook. They have ones about twice the size of Pandora that runs Windows with intel GPUs. With that I can run basicly all emulators up to N64 + Windows games (at least up to 2004 saw a video of a netbook running Rayman 3 perfectly) I say up to 2004 because any game made past that probably won't work except a chosen few, wow or games that don't require advanced GPUs. However my point is I would have a Pandora in a since that can do much more the biggest downside would be battery life, no gaming controls, can't hold it in my hand etc....

They should really try to make the Appstore a more viable place to make money. I'd love to share some profits with them, in my opinion 30% would be a fair take, and if I could do that - and there were more than, like, 50 actual Pandora users out there right now, I'm sure it would generate some offsets to the losses of manufacturing ..

Bit of a chicken and egg problem, but hey .. thats what hardware/software is all about. You don't get much out of software until the hardware is delivered, but if there is no good software, why would anyone buy the hardware? So, anything that Craig can do to really motivate us coders to get good quality, Pandora-rockin' apps out there, is a good thing ..

As much as I love my Pandora (now I have it), I'm not sure I would pay (for example) £300 for it.

That's a lot of money... you could buy a PS3 for that (not that I even want a PS3).

I would have probably bought from a later batch though, because there's literally nothing else out there like the Pandora.

SomeGuy99 said:
I would have probably bought from a later batch though, because there's literally nothing else out there like the Pandora.
Isn't that the best reason to up the price? Look what Apple does. :)

However, I have paid 250EUR. For that price I didn't thought twice. I might have considered it for 300EUR. A friend of mine with whom I develop software doesn't buy one because the 300 EUR are to much for him. To onclude, from my experience 300EUR is the max possible. Maybe 279 would be a good price in Germany.

For the sake of completness. If the USD is 1.2 compared to EUR, we have:

279EUR = $334
300EUR = $360

So $369 definitely is too much.

I'v been saving up for the Pandora for a whill (I'm a teenager) And I think think that the price can't go up much more or people will have a harder discison on buying it. Personally I'v got about $100 and I'm selling my ipod touch, so that's about $150 more so that's $250; only $100 more for second batch!!!

Up the price? Jesus.
£270 could get you a psp and a few games or a quad core pc built off eBay.

For £120 last weekend I got a 360 with gta 4, final fantasy 13, sf4 and rainbow six. Came with a 2 year warranty and all.

£300 mark and people are gonna start thinking about all the other stuff they can. Buy with that sorta cash.

zRichi said:
Up the price? Jesus.

For £120 last weekend I got a 360 with gta 4, final fantasy 13, sf4 and rainbow six. Came with a 2 year warranty and all.

£300 mark and people are gonna start thinking about all the other stuff they can. Buy with that sorta cash.
That's what I started to do, but I found that when I looked around I found that the Pandora is totally uniqe.

mali said:

i pee'd my self terribly

I don't think they should raise prices any more than they need to. I nearly passed on it at £200. I doubt I would have paid £300 for it. Even less so now that I've got both a netbook and a smartphone.

zRichi said:
Up the price? Jesus.

If any of those actually satisfy the requirements that you have, then the Pandora is not for you. Seriously, the Pandora need not be a niche product, but it does have its own use cases that some people deem worthy of the cost. You may have questioned it at its current price point and balk at the thought of it going higher, but remember there was a steady stream of people eager to buy one, there's still a number of people that occasionally show up only to be told they'll have to wait, and those willing to pay hundreds of dollars premium for one off of E-Bay. 300GBP might not be nearly as bad as you suspect, given the target audience.
(of course I can say that since I ordered from the first batch :p)

You might want to spend that unwanted money of yours by donating to developers. Their work WILL make Pandora live.

lincruste said:
You might want to spend that unwanted money of yours by donating to developers. Their work WILL make Pandora live.
This. While I wouldn't have been likely to spend any more money on the console up front, donating is something that I'd be far more likely to do once I've got hardware in my hands and a clear idea what I'm donating for.

Back