£375 are you having a laugh????

braincell1973

Still Fresh
Well , i like open source as much as the next person , but not only has the pandora been plagued by hardware (controls?) and software niggles , this price is an absolute joke (£375).

I mean c'mon , you can get a laptop for that money , or even a netbook and a load of spare change (local price suggest 2 x netbooks @ £140 each . argos!! 25/02/11) why be so greedy?

after the initial batch it was only £330 gbp , i have been watching this project for so long and am so disappointed in how its turned out , i dont want to start a flamewar or anything like that , but ,

damn , your pricing yourselves out of existence........

So... what are you trying to tell us?

That we should sell the unit cheaper than it costs to produce...?

plus phones have liek 1ghz snapdragon! and the psp has games!

So... what are you trying to tell us?

That we should sell the unit cheaper than it costs to produce...?

It cost 330 eur to begin with then 440 now , what on earth has happened ???? do you expact pandora to live past 2011 ?????? am looking for some kinda lifeline ......

From his nickname I suppose his last brain cell died in 1973
laugh.gif

To be honest with you guys I agree that the price is a bit steep, but i believe the device is aimed at certain buyers at a niche market like programmers, devs e.t.c, and production is expensive especially on a small scale like this were 8000 units are to made, so i am on both sides here and not against anyones views as both sides have there arguments, i hope more sell and they are available on a large scale, but only time will tell when that will happen or not, but the community, op and everyone has been great and that what matters not price or opinions on the large side of things

007jaws

is that really the best you can come up with to a valid point ???? the hardware has issues , the software has issues and the price is high , does the pandora have something new to pull out ? whats ahead for the pandora ?

007jaws - thank you for an intelligent reply , i just wanted to know what was ahead before i lashed out on this

Last edited by a moderator:
is that really the best you can come up with to a valid point ???? the hardware has issues , the software has issues and the price is high , does the pandora have something new to pull out ? whats ahead for the pandora ?

007jaws - thank you for an intelligent reply , i just wanted to know what was ahead before i lashed out on this
My friend are you going to save the world are you going to debate every price for any device ever made, have you ordered one, maybe you want one, i dont think these comments will make the price go down, Thanks for your views but the buyers can make there own decisions about such products

Well the main problem is that, like it was said in another topic, the mainstream consoles (excepted Nintendo ones) are sold at a loss.

So we're used to buy cheap consoles.

OpenPandora can't sell their console at a loss, so they increased the price to be able to… live without having to sell their houses to pay the debts.

My friend are you going to save the world are you going to debate every price for any device ever made, have you ordered one, maybe you want one, i dont think these comments will make the price go down, Thanks for your views but the buyers can make there own decisions about such products

no , i dont want to debate everything , but i have been very excited about the pandora from the beginning , a lot was promised , only some delivered (depending how you look at it) was simply asking some questions to see what the future looked like it held , I really hoped for more than some dodgy ports of existing emus (Well , before i add my own dodgy ports) i have simply waited for things to mature before asking the question , fanboys aside , quirks aside , its a nice peice of kit , but quite irrelevant if its just going to stagnate......

Well the main problem is that, like it was said in another topic, the mainstream consoles (excepted Nintendo ones) are sold at a loss.

So we're used to buy cheap consoles.

OpenPandora can't sell their console at a loss, so they increased the price to be able to… live without having to sell their houses to pay the debts.
Yes dude i understand your point but i was referring to the price and what can be broughrt for with a similar price, people can buy 2 3ds with same amount of cash this does not mean openpandora sell at a loss, i was just referring to the options people have in terms of price nothing to do with openpandora selling it at whatever price its for sale at

bye

007jaws

no , i dont want to debate everything , but i have been very excited about the pandora from the beginning , a lot was promised , only some delivered (depending how you look at it) was simply asking some questions to see what the future looked like it held , I really hoped for more than some dodgy ports of existing emus (Well , before i add my own dodgy ports) i have simply waited for things to mature before asking the question , fanboys aside , quirks aside , its a nice peice of kit , but quite irrelevant if its just going to stagnate......

Thanks dude i see now your point cheers

I don't now, I think it is worth the price. I like the size, like Linux, like emulation, like that it has gaming controls AND a keyboard, like to support small projects, like how it is made in the US/UK, like the people making it, like the idea behind it, and I'm out of things I like about it.

Point is it is worth it to some and others it is not. It is that simple, if there are people buying it right now then it is worth it to them. Those that are not buying it is not worth it for them. it is really that simple, you're over complicating things when you try to find out why it is worth it for you. Just accept it is worth it to others and live your life the way you think it is worth it.

Well, if you're talking about software: We never promised anything except for a simple minimal system from the very beginning, and to be honest, the OS runs better than it does on similar systems.

It seems to run faster than the Angström image I tried on my BeagleBoard xM somehow, emulator ports are done by the community, so if you don't like them... improve them.

Though I don't know what you mean with dodgy... have you played any of the emulators?

What do you think is dodgy about them?

The Pandora is a very niche device which is why it has a very niche price. While the internal hardware may be somewhat dated (although certainly still powerful enough for a surprising amount of uses) there really is no other device like it. Sure there are netbooks which rival it for web browsing and word processing but they don't have good enough controls for gaming. Then there's gaming consoles like the PSP or NDS which rival it for gaming capabilities but don't have the full QWERTY keyboard or computer-like functions of the Pandora. Some may even argue the Pandora beats dedicated gaming devices for controls.

It is in a class of its own and thus there really is no other device you can compare it to.

This is interesting. It's obviously the impression some people outside the immediate community have. There are not what I would call hardware nor software issues with the Pandora.

The assembly process has been subject to significant QC improvements. The early nubs sucked, that's fixed now. The early LCD cables sucked too, also fixed, and the cases have had a revision too. RMA numbers are very low as far as we know, the misconception of widespread problems arises when the support forums are busy with a small number of people seeking help - while hundreds of others are quietly having no issues.

Software is always an ongoing development (as with any open/homebrew device). The OS and the app library are added to each day. The only software issues I have are which GUI to choose, which game to play. It's tough! And as things get even better, I suppose it will get tougher. ;)

As to the price, well, that's the cost of this hardware. It's a unique device, still, which is why it still stirs up so much passion I guess. But it's not a device with issues, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Point is it is worth it to some and others it is not. It is that simple, if there are people buying it right now then it is worth it to them. Those that are not buying it is not worth it for them. it is really that simple, you're over complicating things when you try to find out why it is worth it for you. Just accept it is worth it to others and live your life the way you think it is worth it.

Very true.

For me, the new PSP Phone is way overpriced. The iphone is way overpriced. The PS3 was overpriced when it was released.

I'm still using my old XPeria X1 I got for less than 200 EUR a few years ago and with the most recent community firmwares, there's nothing I am missing from this smartphone, it does all I need and want - better than some other, more expensive smartphones in my opinion.

Still, people will pay the price for those and be happy with it, something I can't understand, but that's a fact.

And yeah, I'd be more than happy to sell it for a way cheaper price - but it's simply not possible, we're struggling with the current price already, we are no big company like the others out there.

ED i believe its just all the build up and stress getting to some people (not me of course), some people really wanted one and mabe still want one but they may have been put of due to some of the issues on delay, then price increase (which clearly is used for more man power), build quality, a dreamcast emulater (i know this was not promised by anyone, but the pocketgamer video showing it possibel got people excited about your product)

But clearly build quality has improved, production has speeded up in comparison to the past and more software and games has been made.

So its just some people may have thought the product is capable of everything

bye 007jaws

Back