Time To Make Some Money

Xenu said:
Nailz said:
So you'll pardon me if when someone comes up with these "we should all pony up some more dough" threads, I just want to actually see the original poster do just that...

Why should I? I have bought my pandora with extra everything on, and I gave money to the developers fund. This was the market price we first batchers paid. And it included a higher risk. We paid what we should pay at that time. Now when the second batch is soon to be coming, the risk is much lower the software will be much more mature, and the pandora team should get money for all their work. If I buy a second pandora, and I probably will, I have no problem in paying a fair price for it.
You should because you're volunteering for the price rise. Talk is cheap and talk is really cheap when it's somebody else's money that you're not contributing to at all. What you get for being in the first batch is the goodness of knowing that you've got a first batch item. There was very little risk as you could at any time have canceled the order. There are people even now that would be jumping on the possibility of getting in on the first batch.

Additionally, it's kind of a slam on Craig and the guys to suggest that they don't know what they're doing in the business department. I'm not sure about the other guys, but Craig and Evil Dragon both have stores. And I really don't think the market can bear a price that's too much higher than what it is now.

@Craig, I think we've mostly been referring to the developer fund as the place for donations. Additionally, if you come up with a reliable way of attaching the icontrolpad to a Nexus One, I'm going to be all over that.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
I'm not a fan of donations, so if you want to throw more money to the Pandora project you can buy my iPhone game which I'm releasing in a few days.

That way you get A) An awesome cartoon adventure game and B) to help fund further Pandora goodness.

So does that mean you'll be releasing for the Pandora soon too!

Edit: Add that if you release together with Pandora version you can add exposure for the Pandora now shipping!

dsleaf67 said:
craigix said:
I'm not a fan of donations, so if you want to throw more money to the Pandora project you can buy my iPhone game which I'm releasing in a few days.

That way you get A) An awesome cartoon adventure game and B) to help fund further Pandora goodness.

So does that mean you'll be releasing for the Pandora soon too!

Edit: Add that if you release together with Pandora version you can add exposure for the Pandora now shipping!

I'll release a Pandora version if people like the iPhone version :)

Xenu said:
I have bought my pandora with extra everything on, and I gave money to the developers fund.

By the way, I never heard anything from the OP team about the status of the developers fund..(I also contributed)

How much $$ is in it?
Are there precise plans what to do with this money?

Polossatik said:
Xenu said:
I have bought my pandora with extra everything on, and I gave money to the developers fund.

By the way, I never heard anything from the OP team about the status of the developers fund..(I also contributed)

How much $$ is in it?
Are there precise plans what to do with this money?

The money has largely been spent on developing the software you see. Some of those developer Pandora units cost thousands of dollars.

We will have another round of dev encouragement next month (GBAX2010).

craigix said:
The money has largely been spent on developing the software you see. Some of those developer Pandora units cost thousands of dollars.

We will have another round of dev encouragement next month (GBAX2010).
I'll probably be donating a bit as soon as Paypal or CC payments are back. Unless I missed that happening in which case I'll probably donate in the near future.

craigix said:

Is this the one you did with Ruckage? I've forgotten the name. Something to do with a Wizard.
If that is the one I've been thinking of then congratulations, it's been a long time coming!

quote said:
craigix said:

Is this the one you did with Ruckage? I've forgotten the name. Something to do with a Wizard.
If that is the one I've been thinking of then congratulations, it's been a long time coming!

Thanks, it has been sitting waiting to be released for a while, just had to find the time to do it. All wrapped up now and ready to go to Apple.

Ebay seems to be a nice way to make Money at the Moment. :) If normal Pandoras are sold over 1000$, the OPT could made some special rare Pandoras and sell them officially. With autographs and official smell.
We know the Pink and the grey Pandora. I suggest a couple (maybe only 3?) of golden Pandoras or any other colour as long it comes from the "official" case factory.:

goldpandora.jpg

Xenu said:
Nailz said:
So you'll pardon me if when someone comes up with these "we should all pony up some more dough" threads, I just want to actually see the original poster do just that...

Why should I? I have bought my pandora with extra everything on, and I gave money to the developers fund. This was the market price we first batchers paid. And it included a higher risk. We paid what we should pay at that time. Now when the second batch is soon to be coming, the risk is much lower the software will be much more mature, and the pandora team should get money for all their work. If I buy a second pandora, and I probably will, I have no problem in paying a fair price for it.

LOL!!!! Holy crap, you really are something aren't you? This is EXACTLY why I posted in the first place... Guys like you telling everyone else they should be paying extra, while you had exactly ZERO intentions of doing so yourself. Congratulations on being incredibly lame... Oh, and before you call me out on it, I have also purchased ALL the extras and gave to the dev fund. I just didn't have stones to tell everyone else to put more money out when I don't have any intention of doing so.

And you got your business degree from where exactly to be telling Craig and company how they should be running the next round?

Nailz said:
you telling everyone else they should be paying extra
Not a problem if there is a good reason, such as cost of parts and labour and/or risk.

Nailz said:
while you had exactly ZERO intentions of doing so yourself.
Irrelevant argument. I will let someone else pick the fallacy being made here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies Appeal to motive, maybe?

Nailz said:
before you call me out on it, I have also purchased ALL the extras and gave to the dev fund.
Also irrelevant.

Nailz said:
I just didn't have stones to tell everyone else to put more money out when I don't have any intention of doing so.
Also irrelevant.

Nailz said:
And you got your business degree from where exactly to be telling Craig and company how they should be running the next round?
Is that what you are implying or saying by arguing against a price increase?

mc2 said:
Nailz said:
while you had exactly ZERO intentions of doing so yourself.
Irrelevant argument. I will let someone else pick the fallacy being made here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies Appeal to motive, maybe?
It's perfectly relevant to the situation. If the OP were sincere about the fact that the price was too low and that people should be contributing to the project, then he should be donating. It is quite relevant given that he's appealing to people on the basis of getting an unfairly good deal. As soon as he did that it became fair game and completely relevant to note that he hasn't contributed any extra nor does he intend to, as it was a portion of the argument he put forth.

Additionally, on a side note, it's more than a little hypocritical to suggest that there should be a price increase, for everybody else.

hedwards said:
It's perfectly relevant to the situation. If the OP were sincere about the fact that the price was too low and that people should be contributing to the project, then he should be donating. It is quite relevant given that he's appealing to people on the basis of getting an unfairly good deal. As soon as he did that it became fair game and completely relevant to note that he hasn't contributed any extra nor does he intend to, as it was a portion of the argument he put forth.

Additionally, on a side note, it's more than a little hypocritical to suggest that there should be a price increase, for everybody else.
The only methods of donation that I am aware of are the dev donation fund and iPhone app which is not yet available. These are a rather limited donations at best. Perhaps that the comment could have been where do I send my tip. I do not think that it is hypocritical to be concerned for the future of this project and those involved. The original post is a little open ended / not conclusive about how to help the project, as it was offered as a suggestion among implied others. I think that a more correct interpretation of the original post is that it is a conversation starter about how to help the project.

fusion_power said:
Ebay seems to be a nice way to make Money at the Moment. :) If normal Pandoras are sold over 1000$, the OPT could made some special rare Pandoras and sell them officially. With autographs and official smell.
We know the Pink and the grey Pandora. I suggest a couple (maybe only 3?) of golden Pandoras or any other colour as long it comes from the "official" case factory.:

goldpandora.jpg

That is actually a good idea. Much better than the opening post ;)

I bet they could make a couple of grand quite easily if they did that now with say 10 special Pandoras. That has to help pay back some of the development costs. it has got to be worth a go, hasn't it?

Every little helps :)

hedwards said:

Paying for something almost 2 years in advance already means paying a bit more than people who pay the same amount 2 years later, with maybe 2-4 months of wait before they get that thing, and both pay more than people who pay 3 years later and find the product in stock. Estimating how much more they've paid is quite easy, but finding the proper parameters to get an actually meaningful value is probably next to impossibile.

Beside, 1st batchers paid a bit less money, but most of them are expected to contribute to the success of Pandora in some other way, developing programs or just promoting it through word of mouth.

craigix said:
quote said:
craigix said:

Thanks, it has been sitting waiting to be released for a while, just had to find the time to do it. All wrapped up now and ready to go to Apple.

Sounds perfectly fair to me - happy to do so, just let us know when its on the app store. I remember there was a dedicated web-page for a while and looked good.

However...

It took a while to get released because you didn't have the time. But you have recently found time? :blink: Is that the 'under-used' 3-5am slot???

valhalla said:
Paying for something almost 2 years in advance already means paying a bit more than people who pay the same amount 2 years later, with maybe 2-4 months of wait before they get that thing, and both pay more than people who pay 3 years later and find the product in stock. Estimating how much more they've paid is quite easy, but finding the proper parameters to get an actually meaningful value is probably next to impossibile.

Beside, 1st batchers paid a bit less money, but most of them are expected to contribute to the success of Pandora in some other way, developing programs or just promoting it through word of mouth.
I'm American we're lucky to get 2% interest from our bank accounts. Most of the time it's something more like 0.1% per annum. Paying for a Pandora a couple years in advance is probably ultimately a sound investment as the value of it hasn't gone down.

@mc2,
Not to be condescending, but you do know what hypocritical means, right? It's somebody that says one thing and does another, which this seems to be. I personally would've objected far less had the OP not insinuated that it was duty for all, then back pedaled to exclude himself from the obligation. Also it implies that the market can bear the extra cost, which I doubt that it can. Those who have more and would like to contribute will be able to donate to the dev fund or write their own programs, but I don't think they'll sell very many units if the price rises by that much, part of why people bought into this is that it is ultimately a good deal.

Back