Tim shafer kickstart project, adventure games are dead.

Hmmm....steam/pc and they will make a Mac version if they get enough funds. In other words: no Linux support.

I won't support it on those terms, but it is nice to see the adventure genre getting some attention.

Yes thats sad, however I was hoping for a new gilbert/shafer adventure for a long time, exciting to find out what they can still make together these days.

The good ting is, Adventures are not dead. I know some very good Adventures, not sure if there are international Versions of it but maybe some know "Edna Bricht Aus" "Whispering Worlds" or the brand new "Deponia".

The good ting is, Adventures are not dead. I know some very good Adventures, not sure if there are international Versions of it but maybe some know "Edna Bricht Aus" "Whispering Worlds" or the brand new "Deponia".

Haha there is a movie, of tim shafer that adventure games are dead or german :D

Adventure games are far from dead, I don't know why people keep suggesting that. AGS is loaded with quality games, I've got a backlog so long I could play non-stop for a year and still not get to them all. I've even got some paid for games kicking around that I haven't played. What is probably meant is that adventure games are not as profitable as other game styles. Why offer steak when pasta has such a higher profit margin and fewer people order the steak anyway?

That being said, the rhetoric that adventure games are dead would probably be enough to put the money up for this just to prove them wrong, if it weren't for the fact it has already been fully funded within hours thus proving the point already. I suspect most of the people who put their money in had the same thoughts, fund the project simply to prove it is viable.

It's going up on Steam, if I find myself needing a new game in the future I will probably buy it then, but I don't see any reason to get in on this kickstarter anymore.

Adventure also relates to IF (Interactive Fiction, aka Text Adventures) which are also not dead.. with dozens of new ones each year :)

jeff

Bosbeetle is back! Anyways too bad they're releasing it via Steam and not multi-OS like 'World of Goo' did.

For those into old adventuring this talk from Ron Gilbert on the creation of Maniac Mansion also might be interesting.

Hahaha, unbelievable.

> "I want to make another game, give me some money'

Okay $$$$$$$

Now that's reputation :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I expressed incredulity at the volume of contributions the project had gotten and were still pouring in, a coworker made a pretty good observation: how many people are buying to support Tim Shafer, and how many are buying to support the pre-funding business model that kickstart provides?

I backed this $15 the moment i heard of it. It's nothing in stone, it's going to be a game for the fans by the fans. Then also to get behind the scenes documentary episodes every week! That's going to rock big time!

Haha there is a movie, of tim shafer that adventure games are dead or german :D
Yeah, I've watched the Video and he really sayed this. :D

I hope all these german Adventures are available in english too. We had some very good ones in the last years. :)

8a2.jpg

Hmmm....steam/pc and they will make a Mac version if they get enough funds. In other words: no Linux support.

I won't support it on those terms, but it is nice to see the adventure genre getting some attention.

They're using Steam for the closed beta, they will make the full version DRM free. And Tim's just announced it will be for PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android.

I've never understood "if we get enough support we'll port it to Linux/MacOS/Android" or similar. There is no end to cross platform libraries to choose from. The only reason porting should pose a major difficulty is if you choose a library which is not cross platform. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that. If your building a Windows game, then by all means, use Windows only libraries as you see fit, but if your thought process before even starting is that you would like to one day see it running on Linux/Mac/etc then why not choose to work with a library that supports that from the outset? Why worry about the cost of porting "in the future" when you can mitigate most of that cost right now with a couple of extra hours research?

Back