Tikka Dungeons Ingame Video

Hi,

I delayed the purchase of Fire Emblem on Wii for this game, so here are (I hope) my constructive comments :

I don't like:
-Logo: it needs something more, like gradients on the feathers, shadows...
-The lack of animations
-Attack animation: keep it simple, as it seems to slow down the whole game. I don't like these sparkles and yellow strokes all over the screen...
-A kind of "artistic" clash between the 2D sprites and the pre-rendered 3D background...

I like:
-Music: it fits the game well !
-Game: and this is the most important, right ?

Please let's not forget it's still a WIP game...Tikka has some time left to finish what could be a great game for the GP2X.

Bye, keep up the good work Tikka !

Magic Sam

quasist said:
Hooka said:
we are no better than Gamepark/Gamepark Holdings...
Those who follow infidel Craig already cursed and the very suffering awaits them. "Scavangers are sent to cleanse the human filth parade..."
Commercical games on opensource console = C!R!A!P! (No fun I mean)

You are insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll reserve judgement until there's a proper demo and then judge it on its game play, not textures and lighting.

<grumpy old man mode>

That's the trouble with computer games today, the games are all rated on how they look and sound, not if they're fun to play.

My BBC micro had crappy graphics compared with PCs today, but there were still some good games and plenty of people ask for clones of simple games on the GP2X that they enjoy playing.

Stuff the eye candy, go for fun.

</grumpy old man mode>

I fell better now.

Parkydr said:
I'll reserve judgement until there's a proper demo and then judge it on its game play, not textures and lighting.

<grumpy old man mode>

That's the trouble with computer games today, the games are all rated on how they look and sound, not if they're fun to play.

My BBC micro had crappy graphics compared with PCs today, but there were still some good games and plenty of people ask for clones of simple games on the GP2X that they enjoy playing.

Stuff the eye candy, go for fun.

</grumpy old man mode>

I fell better now.
Back in the day, when you had a BBC micro, that may have been the best you could have had to play at the time. There wasn't getting any better, so you just dealt with it, playing the games and finding out they are very fun. A lot of true classic games from that time, ended up winning over peoples' hearts and became very popular with the people who played them, asking for a remake or clone is just something they'd do.

But in today's technological word, where everything is much better looking and sounding, and smoother then ever, there really isn't a excuse to make a game that is either very ugly or one that clashes with another aspect of the game. They have the technology to do better, so user it!

Thank you for confirming my view, it doesn't matter if the game is crap as long as it looks nice.

Graphics wise, I don't think it looks bad anyway, you're not going to get the same level of graphics on the GP2X as with a high end graphics card in your PC.

I am thrilled just to see developers are still working on gp2x.
As of late, there seems to be less advances and releases of anything (except puzzle games).
I am a role player game junky and to me, this game has awesome potential.
I love the final fantasy look of the battle, I do agree that the game is lacking when it comes to animation, especially when walking around.
I am very excited to see the release of this game and with some upgrades, I will be more than happy to buy it.
I thank all who still develop, please take all critisism as positive as it lets you know what people want.

Hm, Because there are not much GP2X own RPG Games I think, this could be interesting. :) Graphics are not so important like good Gameplay. This is the Alpha and Omega of a game. First Gameplay, then Graphics.
Ok, in the current State, the 2D Sprites just don't fit into the "3D" Backgrounds (and the Sprites could be more animated by the way ;) ). But it is easy to let rendered 3D Objects look like 2D. ;) Here This Arc-Tile I had done with Blender it is a 3D Object with matching Textures and Orthographic Camera for 2D look. Designed maybe for a 2D Jump'n Run but because it is 3D every other perspective is possible:
fpsteinbogenmz3.png

If the BG has a more "Classical" Dungeon look (and more Details), I think the Useres will accept the Game much more. :)

I am not a shallow gamer. I love NetHack to no end, and I actually prefer to play it on classic mode with the ascii text mode on. But that is because it works well with the game, and it matches well graphics wise. If the developers had decided to do 3D rendered backgrounds with a giant @ walking around on the screen, I most likely wouldn't have played it.

You know, I agree to a certain point about the whole game play VS graphics debate, but there is a place you have to draw a line. Imagine going into a fine restaurant, and pay a lot of money for a meal. You expect it to be a good meal. The food should taste good, but it needs to be visually appealing too. If it looks horrible, people won't even want to put the food in their mouth.

The same can be said about a video game. The game play should be stimulating and the user should be able to enjoy it, but at the same time, the game needs to be visually appealing. It isn't just one thing or another that makes a game great, it is a combination of everything that makes a game worth playing or not.

Saying, you don't need to worry about how a game looks, is like saying, you don't need to worry about how your girl friend looks. And let me tell you, visually speaking, there are a lot of girls I wouldn't want to play with based on how they look.

Gameplay is king, end of story.

kuehnau said:
Saying, you don't need to worry about how a game looks, is like saying, you don't need to worry about how your girl friend looks. And let me tell you, visually speaking, there are a lot of girls I wouldn't want to play with based on how they look.
As well as being a terrible analogy, that mish-mash of a paragraph has confirmed you as both shallow, and most likely, a virgin. Not that the latter has any bearing on your argument, but it was amusing nonetheless.

This game seriously looks not worth any money for me.

Appart from the graphics lacking animations and overall polishedness, the game looks like any other standard RPG tons of which can be emulated. It's not a special game, it doesn't have something to make it stand out from all the other mediocre games. Granted, this is only judging from the screenshots and the video, but I doubt it'll get more depth, sorry to say that.

regards

Horscht

EDIT: to clarify: not only does this game lack the visuals, but it also lacks the oh-so-important gameplay.

fishybawb said:
As well as being a terrible analogy, that mish-mash of a paragraph has confirmed you as both shallow, and most likely, a virgin.

And you ,most probably, only fucked fat and ugly girls :)

Horscht said:
the game looks like any other standard RPG tons of which can be emulated.
I've seen this cited as a reason for not bothering to make games for the GP2X before. Why waste your time if people will always rather play an emulated game unless yours is significantly better (which can be very hard to do)?

Lets be serious, dev to dev :) (and dev-with-congac no less.)

Gameplay is certainly a bigt thing, but it is not everything, as shallow as that might sound. (And from a unix guy who lives on console and still plays nethack, kthx :)

IT is nolonger 1982, and to set the record straight.. check Lode Runner, which did have walking animation. So did Donkey Kong, Pacman, and Cosmic Crunch on the vic-20.

But in this day and agem its _Trivial_ to make such things as animations.. its a function of art, more than coding.

So it just comes off as cheap.

Only a couple choices here..

1) They're still very early; in which case, they should note this carefully.. 'alpha lpha, very preliminary show, to gather ideas'. IF you dont' say, people assume its 'near the end'.. ie: in the game industry, most peopel don't let our trash videos, they let out 'wow' videos, even if short and specific.

2) They're short of assets (cash, art, whatever).. fine. Again, something to note maybe :)

3) They're being cheap

4) ... insert various specific cases here

So these are all pretty rough. They could've saved themselve some trouble by explaining the situation, or not doing it.

Reason -- they're commercial; they have to act it a certain extent. (ie: I'm both free/shareware and commercial on a half dozen platforms, so I'm not just shooting our my rear :)

As soon as the 'commercial' tag is on, you're elevating above a certain expectations; the criticism is perhaps over-harsh, it being a small tight community that we have, but it has to be handled well; if its harsh, its real, and they shoudl roll with it.

Thats my point here -- I hope they do. They've got some promise there.. it looks good, and I don't think theres anythign wrong with what they have.. its just not ready yet, and should be easily repaired in some of those deficiencies.

So I hope they step up to the bat..

IT takes a _lot_ of work to get something ready for commercial (the last 20% is 80% of the work, and its the 20% people notice.) I know I'm not half up to the amount of work it is, so its good of them to try.

Lets all praise their effort, but .. lets hope they clean up the basement first :)

jeff

b_o_b said:
And you ,most probably, only fucked fat and ugly girls :)
lol, I deserved that. In my defence, my girlfriend is neither fat nor ugly, although I'm not about to post a picture for you pervs :D

Back on topic...

I was overly tired (read inebriated) last night, and managed to delete what I'd written before I managed to post it... Anyway, to sum it up, I'm pretty surprised at Hando's post. We should be fostering the few homebrew developers there are, not slamming their work. I admit that I thought it strange that the main sprite wasn't animated at this stage of development, but as this *is* a WIP, that's a very easy thing to add, unless the sprite handling is incredibly weird.

Personally, I understand why someone might aim for a commercial release of a game. This community is notoriously tight-fisted, and mainly emulation based, so forcing people who might want to play an original game to pay a few pounds/euros/dollars isn't a bad thing. If you don't like the look of the game, and this is a daringly revolutionary concept, DON'T BUY THE GAME.

fishybawb said:
Gameplay is king, end of story.

kuehnau said:
As well as being a terrible analogy, that mish-mash of a paragraph has confirmed you as both shallow, and most likely, a virgin. Not that the latter has any bearing on your argument, but it was amusing nonetheless.

Hey way to be not only totally ignorant, but use a immature attempt to try and attack my character. I live with my girlfriend and help her raise her 6 year old sister. The analogy wasn't supposed to be serious, it was supposed to be funny and still have a point. Why don't you try to go grow up a little bit?

You could always go with the "Don't Buy It" route. But that is the problem. When I first saw screen shots of the game, I did like how it looked, and I was hoping someone would do a good job with it, it is something I am interested in, something I could buy, but only if they do a good job with it.

I could just "not buy it", or I could complain about things that I consider valid complaints, hope they consider it, and maybe make improvements upon it. To be honest, I have been hoping for a half way decent RPG on the GP2X since I picked it up, this could be it, if they do it right.

kuehnau said:
Hey way to be not only totally ignorant, but use a immature attempt to try and attack my character The analogy wasn't supposed to be serious, it was supposed to be funny and still have a point. Why don't you try to go grow up a little bit?
<comeback>Hey, why don't you learn how to use punctuation and grow a sense of humour? And attacking your character would be tough, seeing as you haven't posted all that much and I don't actually know you in person</comeback>

Seriously though, no hard feelings, I really didn't mean any offense :)

Back