Tikka Dungeons Ingame Video

fishybawb said:
kuehnau said:
Hey way to be not only totally ignorant, but use a immature attempt to try and attack my character The analogy wasn't supposed to be serious, it was supposed to be funny and still have a point. Why don't you try to go grow up a little bit?
<comeback>Hey, why don't you learn how to use punctuation and grow a sense of humour? And attacking your character would be tough, seeing as you haven't posted all that much and I don't actually know you in person</comeback>

Seriously though, no hard feelings, I really didn't mean any offense :)

Unfortunately, I have little patience for that kind of internet bullshit. Just like now how you are trying to be cute and make a comment on punctuation. This isn't a English class, and I consider the forums far from important enough to actually worry about it. If you can read it and understand it, that is good enough. Prick.

Last edited by a moderator:
kuehnau said:
Unfortunately, I have little patience for that kind of internet bullshit. Just like now how you are trying to be cute and make a comment on punctuation. This isn't a English class, and I consider the forums far from important enough to actually worry about it. If you can read it and understand it, that is good enough. Prick.
Now you're just cluttering up the forum, and throwing this thread way off track. If you'd like to continue your display of immaturity and lack of wit, I suggest you PM me instead. Thanks :)

To keep on topic, I hope you haven't lost motivation tikka. The combat part of your game looks well thought out, and I'd love to try out a demo version. Don't let the naysayers get you down, it seems to be mostly poorly expressed constructive criticism :)

Can we close the forums to new registrations now?

I think the game looks fine - add in the animations and it'll be perfect.

fishybawb said:
To keep on topic, I hope you haven't lost motivation tikka. The combat part of your game looks well thought out, and I'd love to try out a demo version. Don't let the naysayers get you down, it seems to be mostly poorly expressed constructive criticism :)
Hah! no such thing :p
Anyway, how long until the demo for this is released? It really does need animations, and i would wait much longer to have them put in :)

It does have some rough edges that need to be fixed but it isn't that bad for a work in progress.

It could definitely use some animation and sound effects.
Also, The sprites don't seem to fit that well with the 3D backgrounds.

That said.. I would be quite happy regardless of the outcome as long as the storyline and overall game play is excellent. Everyone knows that a game can have the best graphics in the world but it would still suck if the game play was sacrificed as the trade off.

I'm not so surprised by the way this project is welcomed by the community...

No game company would risk a big budget game on the GP2X: they would be sure to loose money...
So, of course, Tikka Dungeon is released by a tiny team, and I have to manage my small budget the best I can.
That's why so far sprites are not animated, but I hope I'll be able to deliver animated ones in the final release :)

The purpose of this video was to show the game play: something hard to guess when looking at screenshots, and not to present a final teaser of the game.

That's a big challenge to produce a RPG game for the GP2X as those kind of game are very complex, but I believe we'll make it right :)

tikka said:
I'm not so surprised by the way this project is welcomed by the community...

No game company would risk a big budget game on the GP2X: they would be sure to loose money...
So, of course, Tikka Dungeon is released by a tiny team, and I have to manage my small budget the best I can.
That's why so far sprites are not animated, but I hope I'll be able to deliver animated ones in the final release :)

The purpose of this video was to show the game play: something hard to guess when looking at screenshots, and not to present a final teaser of the game.

That's a big challenge to produce a RPG game for the GP2X as those kind of game are very complex, but I believe we'll make it right :)
Now, that's better: this is a teaser: SOMETHING IS COMING!
Seriously, i'm looking forward this as a real reason to kill my budget for a GP2X.
Your game still need some work, that is obvious but it already display something we are all craving for: GAMEPLAY! Good point for you.

But as a commercial project, from a consumer point of view, I DO NOT CARE whether you have small budget or not. I want something to catch me in. If you provide it, i buy it. Otherwise you are off. That's harsh but that's how things work.
Futhermore, you are in a place where people want low budget/free stuff. That is also why they brought a GP in first place. So, if you wanna sell, you better come with some real stuff in your case. We are all snorting salt for free, you can't have us pay for some cheap flour that look even worse than the salt in our nostrils (and way not even get us high), even if it is homebrew.

Keep the hard work: your project has potential.

In a free community, every participant is a servant. Eventually, you will get rewarded by the master... Eventually...

PS: as a wannabe-dev, i respect the point you have reached with your project.

My main points .. this is listed as coming out in 2, maybe 3 months. ITs been in development a year or more, and no animations.

Its a tight timeline to get them added :)

Keep at it, but when you want commercial money, you have to fill in the cracks :)

jeff

I'd think that they would be more concerned with the actual programming than the animation, since animating sprites is relatively easier, I would think. And I don't think it's the actual lack of animation that bothers most people, but the lack of animation within this style. The sprites are equivalent of the 32-bit Megaman games, so the absence of smooth animations is jarring.

probably would have been better to release some sort of playable demo first since the graphics aren't really anything to show off at this point. even the spell effects look bad.

right now the only playable version is from that contest and that seemed very incomplete and had problems with gameplay.

with so many free games available for gp2x users it really has to be something special for people to spend their money. and with you talking about possibly having a boxed edition (which is a bad idea) im thinking you're not going to make this cheap.

the clickgamer games can get away with a bit more especially since they're designed for a bunch of mobile platforms and some are decent but usually aren't advertised here. However, if someone in the community advertises their commercial game there is going to be very high expectations. It has to offer something that free homebrew doesn't and even good free homebrew often gets overlooked.

also after wind and water which was so well made i think expectation for gp2x commercial game quality also rose. I don't even usually like puzzle games but was inclined to buy it cause it was so well made. make something that quality and with gameplay not offered anywhere else and people will buy it.

Except the lack of character animation, I liked what I saw in the video, considering THAT THIS GAME IS STILL IN DEVELOPMENT!
I also like the backgrounds, they have a unique style. I am sick and tired of every goddamn RPG just copying middle ages-architecture.

We do not have much information about what the actual gameplay will be like, so why dont we all wait for a playable demo of the game before we throw tomatoes at one of the few devs here for a game that nobody has PLAYED yet.

My first impression of this was pretty good. I was disappointed to not see any sprite animation, but figured it was still WIP. I didn't know that this was in production for this long, and I was a little worried about how this game was going to be received. I'm kind of sad to read the comments that are really kind of childish for people that should know how to give constructive criticism. I know part of it is because this game is going to be a commercial release, but still. It's homebrew, not a game that people have emulated on the GP2X that's made by a multi million dollar company. Yes there are homebrew games that are free and might be better, but this is still WIP. If 3 months isn't enough to get this done, you can always delay it a bit like every other big game company does. It's better to do anyways than rush something you've worked so hard on for so long. Just take you time with it and have fun. Once you start doing it for just commercial reasons it turns into a job and ends up being more work than fun. Eventually you'll just get burned out and it will show in your work. Keep it up, it seems like the game aspect is going to be fun regardless of how it looks. Art wise it's pretty good. I agree the backgrounds could be spruced up a bit and just a little animation added. Good luck with everything.

hando said:
I dont't know, but am I the only one who thinks that this game looks like a piece of crap ? Commercial release ? You're kidding. Pretty every Sega Genesis game (it's emulated system for those who don't now) looks like 1000xtimes better. Sorry but if you're gonna charge money for this crap, the only thng I can do is to wish you luck. You'll really need it. Damm, pretty every public release availiable in Gp2X Archive FOR FREE looks much better than this thing. Sorry for harsh word, but I wound't care so much if you gonna release it for free but to charge money for it ???? OMG, the world has really changed.
What the fuck? I'm really sad that there are comments like this in this community. Even worse when they are from long term members. Why is there so much hostility towards commercial games? If you don't like a commercial game, don't buy it. But why can't you make constructive suggestions about what to improve? Insulting the developers and their game is not going to help anyone. It hurts the community.
Comparing games made by independent devs for devices of which less than 100000 units have been sold to commercial releases made by big teams for big consoles (even if they were made some years ago) is really unfair. I am aware that I can play Genesis games on the 2X. For free even if I get them illegally. Many of them probably are better in most respects than this game and all have a bigger budget. However, it's still awesome this game is being made. Because it's fresh content. Because it is made for the community. And also because the developers might make more and better games in the future if they enjoy the experience. It is in our responsibility as a community to encourage them rather than discourage them.

Let me quote from the forum rules:

- Our purpose is to share, help and support others
- Ranting is prohibited - a rant is a post which is long-winded, redundant and filled with angry, non-constructive comments. A free exchange of ideas is essential to building a strong sense of community and helpful in the development of the game, but rants are disruptive and incite flaming and trolling. Please post your thoughts in a concise, clear manner and avoid going off on rambling tangents.

I never really felt at home in this community. This is precisely the reason why. :angry2:

@ OrR

I think Hando pretty much knows the forum rules, As he probably wrote them, Or at least had a hand in writing them.

He is after all, The site admin. :rolleyes:

That does not justify his rather harsh comments towards Tikka`s game, But then we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Btw, Us mod`s don`t have the power to ban him. :rolleyes:

Trooper

I know that and I find it somewhat upsetting that the site admin doesn't live by his own rules. He has got the responsibility to set a positive example...
My comments don't just refer to hando's post but also quite a few of the ones that followed.
Banning anyone isn't a solution, even if we forget the little fact that it's the site admin in this case. ;) I generally like the fact that people can say what they want around here. However, that also brings some responsibility with it, the responsibility to think about what you are saying any why you are saying it. You can have your own opinion but you should still be careful about how you express it so that you avoid hurting others.

i'm quite disappointed by this discussion...

well... everybody has to start from some point.

Probably it's wrong to post early videos.

And "donation" system is the only way to earn something trought gp2x scene, i think

Orkie said:
Horscht said:
the game looks like any other standard RPG tons of which can be emulated.
I've seen this cited as a reason for not bothering to make games for the GP2X before. Why waste your time if people will always rather play an emulated game unless yours is significantly better (which can be very hard to do)?

See, I don't play them on the emulated system. So I am stating:

I am not playing games of similar gameplay quality on an emulated system (for free), so paying for a similar (native or not) game is just straight out of the question. And I assume there's quite a number of people that think similar. To make it short "why would anyone buy a game the likes of which he doesn't even play on an emulated system for free?"

I am not saying tikka should stop making games, I am giving criticism on how they could improve the game to attract more people, by showing/telling them what could deterr people. Nice of you to assume that I was saying "Emulation ftw!"

Back