Tikka Dungeons Ingame Video

tikka

Still Fresh
Website
www.tikkadungeons.com
This commercial game project is still very active.
We've just posted a video of the Work In Progress Game.

tikka-title01.png

Link to the video:
http://www.tikkadungeons.com/gallery.html

The final release of the game is still planned for May/June 08.
Maybe as a download, maybe as a boxed game...

looks nice, It's best for me a download version that way I will not handle shipping and ridiculously high taxes from my country :(.

Also same comment as above :).

I dont't know, but am I the only one who thinks that this game looks like a piece of crap ? Commercial release ? You're kidding. Pretty every Sega Genesis game (it's emulated system for those who don't now) looks like 1000xtimes better. Sorry but if you're gonna charge money for this crap, the only thng I can do is to wish you luck. You'll really need it. Damm, pretty every public release availiable in Gp2X Archive FOR FREE looks much better than this thing. Sorry for harsh word, but I wound't care so much if you gonna release it for free but to charge money for it ???? OMG, the world has really changed.

hando said:
I dont't know, but am I the only one who thinks that this game looks like a piece of crap ? Commercial release ? You're kidding. Pretty every Sega Genesis game (it's emulated system for those who don't now) looks like 1000xtimes better. Sorry but if you're gonna charge money for this crap, the only thng I can do is to wish you luck. You'll really need it. Damm, pretty every public release availiable in Gp2X Archive FOR FREE looks much better than this thing. Sorry for harsh word, but I wound't care so much if you gonna release it for free but to charge money for it ???? OMG, the world has really changed.
You are not the only person who thinks this game looks like crap. When I FIRST saw the screen shots, I though, well, that looks like a nice game, I might be willing to buy it. But I am quickly changing my mind. Why?

1. Well done pixel based art for the sprites, with fake looking, 3D rendered backgrounds. It clashes badly.
2. Stiff animation, no walking states. It looks crappy and ugly sliding around the screen like a paper puppet.

Thats right, those are the only reasons I have right now, and that is enough to put me off from buying the game. I think more time and effort needs to be put into the project and have it polished much, much more, before trying to sell it. I mean look at Wind and Water. It has, fantastic, beautiful art. The animation is fluid and powerful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps I am somewhat biased, being an animator by trade, but I think by the looks of the video, that the game could use some improvement in the 3D environments (they look like untextured boxes), and animations (why doesn't the guy animate when he walks?).

Other than that, I like how the sprites look, and how the combat works. I'm not against buying a commercial game, but if a game appears to be a low budget title, then I expect a budget price.

pferguso said:
Perhaps I am somewhat biased, being an animator by trade, but I think by the looks of the video, that the game could use some improvement in the 3D environments (they look like untextured boxes), and animations (why doesn't the guy animate when he walks?).

Other than that, I like how the sprites look, and how the combat works. I'm not against buying a commercial game, but if a game appears to be a low budget title, then I expect a budget price.
Indeed, I'd have to agree. Even donkey kong country with its prerendered backgrounds had animation. Maybe you're currently working on it and everyone is just jumping to conclusions. Prove us wrong and make us want to buy this game.

hando said:
That is awfully harsh hando. Admittedly the graphics could use some work but the engine and system looks pretty solid and given that there is a few months left in development, it really does feel you are jumping the gun a bit and being overly harsh on something is WIP.

hando said:
Sorry guys, i feel that this is scandalous. Apart from the fact that it's still WIP and many things are subject to change, can anybody tell me what's wrong with the graphics? The art looks quite good to me, in the good old pixely kind of way, not unlike old Genesis games. Furthermore people seem to forget that it's not necessarily the art that makes a game worth playing.
Most important thing, however, no matter if it's a free game or a commercial game: Every game is strengthening the platform. Let's face it, with the Pandora round the corner, there's not much life left in the 2x (I don't care what the consensus on that is - I've seen it all on the GP32 before, after the release of the "successor", releases pretty much immediately stop), so take whatever you can get.
I don't know what makes you react like that, Hando. I know you as a nice and considerate guy from back in the GP32 days when you were still visiting the dev channel. You, as GP32x user with number 1 should set a good example for your followers - and that does NOT include ranting about perfectly acceptable games that took a great amount of time and sophistication. Just look at the first post after yours, the living proof of the Milgram experiment maybe? Voices went from "Great" to "bah crap" in an instant. This is not okay.

Speaking on behalf of some of the devs in the scene, we all know that the majority of the so called community is only after emulation of commercial games. This is nothing shockingly new. But - That one of the very early members of the scene compares Genesis games that were financially backed (well, compared to bedroom hacked games like this one) is indeed shocking.

Personally, chances for a vibrant homebrew scene like back on the GP32 are fading away on a daily basis these days. And it's not the developer's fault.

Yeah, god forbid he gives an honest opinion of what he thinks of a preview for a game someone is going to try and sell. They should be thankful he is being honest. If there is enough people who have issues with the game, perhaps they will work on it longer and make it a respectable game that will make people want to buy it.

If they didn't want an opinion on the game, they shouldn't have done any more advertising with the video. They should have worked on it longer until they had a better, more polished version.

You have to accept both good and bad criticisms. If you are only willing to accept the good ones, you are just lying to yourself.

Over harsh but true..

if it wants to sell it needs walking anims. Without that basic element it just looks cheap ... like a Ferrari with paper skins.

jeff

I know some of the comments towards this preview of the game have been harsh to say the least, But the the game does need smoothing out, Extra frames of animation and smother transitions. It was very awkward to watch the video because it seemed to jump and skip like the developer was trying to economize on the amount of content that was put into the game.

The graphic style is great, Alot like some of the earlier Snes rpg`s, It`s just that the execution seemed, Well, Rushed.

As has been said, This is still a WIP and so, Unfinished. Harsh words are a bit premature at the moment as this could end up being one MUST HAVE game.

Lets just see what Tikka has to say about some of the comments here about the game, Hopefully the harsh ones won`t put Tikka off continuing development on what could be a great game.

Trooper

include some 32 bit efects like in some 2d PSX rpgs, that would be cool, also more efects that gives a feeling of a real dungeon, adding some animations on backgrounds like running rats or something, crumbling cellings some light efects cuasing character shadows on background, those are little details but together they give a diferent feeling. You can put out something cool from the gp2x tikka, wish you luck :).

shinra said:
include some 32 bit efects like in some 2d PSX rpgs, that would be cool, also more efects that gives a feeling of a real dungeon, adding some animations on backgrounds like running rats or something, crumbling cellings some light efects cuasing character shadows on background, those are little details but together they give a diferent feeling. You can put out something cool from the gp2x tikka, wish you luck :).
Guys, I am sure this is the kind of comment the Tikka team need. Let's get some creative criticism going :)

Tikka: Being an independent commercial game creator can be trying, but don't let some harsh words deter you, I'm fairly certain that in a couple months people will be looking back on their posts about this WIP video and realizing that the should've taken it for what it was, a WIP... I can't wait to see the final product ;)

Hando: I'm slightly surprised about your comment... to me, this seems to be almost on par with alot of the commercial releases for the GP32 (aka Little Wizards, Raphael), and that was a final commercial release... I don't mean to cause any rifts, but if we can't support the people who are atleast trying to release new games for the GP2X then we are no better than Gamepark/Gamepark Holdings...

Hooka said:
we are no better than Gamepark/Gamepark Holdings...
Those who follow infidel Craig already cursed and the very suffering awaits them. "Scavangers are sent to cleanse the human filth parade..."
Commercical games on opensource console = C!R!A!P! (No fun I mean)

Back