This is tight

At least from what I see from most UMPC the cheapest one goes around $400 and nothing much you can do on it.

Sony vaio UX series even goes to 1000 something.

Lower spec with windows 7 in it?

What really can you do in this thing? Just emulators?

It is said it can run starcraft 2 aswell and 10+ hours of battery life. Let's see. My guess that it would be pricey...

Damn DaveC, why did you have to show that render again. I know, I know, patents, complexity, rawr Chinese can't even get a much simpler case right but that design is awesome and I want it.

I want it almost as much as I want that 2GHz Cortex-A9 chip from that Chinese company in a laptop right now.

Fucking China.

Well, at least the Wiz's second Dpad was actually buttons, this is literally 2 Dpads... It seems strange to me that that design would make it out of the drawing room, must obsessed with symmetry

Basically because I don't want a phone. I hate cellphones. I want a umpc that fits in your pocket. I just want to drop the wasted space (IMO) from the joysticks, and allow the thing to fold over to protect the screen.
one word: umid

if that had an 8 hour minimum battery life, and if it had a decent dpad/buttons(which would make it bigger), and if it didn't get too hot(i expect it will, as it's an intel chip), it could work

the screen would get horribly scratched though, why on earth wouldn't you make it a clamshell?

haha we are the pandora defenders!

But yeah it would be a very nice device does it have a community behind it that will change the software so it will be usable on a small screen?

The OLD Pandora Prof of Concept, which was postet from DaveC is quite Awesome, but meybe divicult too make because the slide screen.. but the aktual design whit the clamshell is why better than the windows device in this thread because the screen is saved, and it has dual noobs...

500 bugs is too much.. and it has windoof... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm totally gonna iControlPad this thing, it's got mini/full usb ports so that's not a problem...I just need to make a custom side since this thing will be way too big. And if I could get that extended battery to work, that'd be the bee's knees.

Augh, it looks like a PSP Go!

"In a nutshell, you're looking at a full-fledged PC OS on a mobile device."

This is a big deal because normally the PC operating systems use triangle-shaped words but the mobile devices only have square-shaped holes. So we arranged a bunch of small squares in a triangle and pounded that triangle peg right into the square holes.

"should the Nintendo DS and Sony PlayStation Portable be worried?"

No, because people buy game consoles for exclusive games, and this is probably going to have crap for battery life. I would be really impressed if x86 has gotten to the point where it can safely run in your pocket without freaking out and overheating.

The one thing that pisses me off in the comments: "now this is what handheld manufacturers should be giving us: physical buttons, a keyboard, it looks great!" sort of things, but if it were a picture of a Pandora "it's ugly and will never compete with Sony or Nintendo".

IT'S WINDOWS!!! Average Joe sees Windows and recognizes it is a pocketable PC. They aren't seeing a game console! They look at Pandora, see it's clamshell, think "NDS", and can't accept it as anything other than a game console!

Holy smokes that was a brain blast. I like when that happens.

Well, at least the Wiz's second Dpad was actually buttons, this is literally 2 Dpads... It seems strange to me that that design would make it out of the drawing room, must obsessed with symmetry

I think people are referring to the pre-release design that really had a second d-pad, until enough people begged GPH to change it.

The one thing that pisses me off in the comments: "now this is what handheld manufacturers should be giving us: physical buttons, a keyboard, it looks great!" sort of things, but if it were a picture of a Pandora "it's ugly and will never compete with Sony or Nintendo".

IT'S WINDOWS!!! Average Joe sees Windows and recognizes it is a pocketable PC. They aren't seeing a game console! They look at Pandora, see it's clamshell, think "NDS", and can't accept it as anything other than a game console!

Holy smokes that was a brain blast. I like when that happens.
Well yeah, average Joe uses windows, so obviously that would be a requirement before anything would be regarded as a pocketable PC. Makes complete and utter sense to me.

I look at the pandora and see a pocketable PC, but one with pretty low stats.

Even though they claim it is their target, my guess is that thing will not have anywhere near 10hrs battery life.

Well yeah, average Joe uses windows, so obviously that would be a requirement before anything would be regarded as a pocketable PC. Makes complete and utter sense to me.

His point was that Windows PC != gaming handheld, not that it doesn't make sense to see it as a pocketable PC...

Even though they claim it is their target, my guess is that thing will not have anywhere near 10hrs battery life.

Pandora? Lots of people have verified the battery life, I don't see what's so hard to believe. They use a large battery.

Well yeah, average Joe uses windows, so obviously that would be a requirement before anything would be regarded as a pocketable PC.
Average Joe is probably that idiot who thinks PCs can only run Windows, and that Macintoshes are not PCs.

NO WONDER HE IS SO STUPID

Exophase: I thought he was talking about the Windows thing. It would be impressive for that thing to do 10 hours. I'd be more worried about it overheating, though.

His point was that Windows PC != gaming handheld, not that it doesn't make sense to see it as a pocketable PC...

Pandora? Lots of people have verified the battery life, I don't see what's so hard to believe. They use a large battery.
No, I was talking about the thing in this thread (whatever it's called).

For pandora, I definately believe the Battery life. That's one of it's best features I think.

Average Joe is probably that idiot who thinks PCs can only run Windows, and that Macintoshes are not PCs.

Nah, he isn't an idiot. If you only have time to get to know one OS, learn the one people use most so you can get a job. Makes sense to me.

More the sudden realization that when people see Windows they automatically associate it as a computer. Nothing to do with the form factor or application, the fact that it can run Windows automatically makes it a general purpose PC for some reason. It doesn't make them stupid, I just thought it was an interesting observation.

To that end, if the Pandora could be advertised as running Windows instead of Linux, I would bet that it would get a lot less flack for being an "expensive hand held game console", without changing anything else.

Nah, he isn't an idiot. If you only have time to get to know one OS, learn the one people use most so you can get a job. Makes sense to me.
I think you missed my point.

I was saying that people seem to think all PCs run Windows, and that OS X and Linux computer are not PCs.

It's fine to use Windows, but you should at least know what the hell "PC" stands for, and know that other things exist besides computers with pre-installed Windows.

No, I was talking about the thing in this thread (whatever it's called).

For pandora, I definately believe the Battery life. That's one of it's best features I think.

I doubt anybody anywhere thinks this handheld will get 10 hours of battery life, much less is the manufacturer claiming it... that it won't kind of goes without saying.

Uh, no, it's not stupid to think Macintoshes are not PC when both sides agree on that convention. In particular, Apple insists on it. Language is fluid and terms are often not entirely self-defining and literal (don't get me started on people who use that kind of logic to defend their view of what "role playing game" should mean), a PC has come to mean this x86 box that can run Windows and a Mac has come to mean.. well.. this x86 box that can run MacOS X. A PC is basically now defined as something that isn't sold running MacOS X. This is an important market distinction and therefore names are necessary to identify both sides with.

No point calling people stupid over arbitrary semantics.

I think you missed my point.

I was saying that people seem to think all PCs run Windows, and that OS X and Linux computer are not PCs.

It's fine to use Windows, but you should at least know what the hell "PC" stands for, and know that other things exist besides computers with pre-installed Windows.
Oh, well if you are just talking about the acronym, it's just because of that stupid ad campaign that mac has.

I thought you were talking about people thinking that the only "real" computers are ones that run windows, which makes sense to me from the perspective of someone who has to work with windows computers all the time and doesn't care to look into other computers that he doesn't need to use.

Back