Here Is Your Openpandora, Psp, Viliv, Nokia N900, Nokia N810, Archos 5

SONY said:
I'd rather have the Eking M5.

Here it is...

6a00d83451c9ec69e20133f32cb72c970b-800wi

6a00d83451c9ec69e20134865150a0970c-800wi

6a00d83451c9ec69e20133f32dca8d970b-800wi

It has a 5-inch screen, which is a high quality WSVGA (1024x600) LED backlit LCD sourced from Sharp, with a capacitive touch panel supporting multi-touch. Other specs include a 1.2GHz Intel Atom Z515 processor on the Menlow platform, 1GB DDR2 RAM, a 16GB SSD, support for Windows XP/Vista/7, b/g WiFi, Bluetooth, and 3G connectivity (voice and data), GPS, and a 3MP camera. Including the 2600mAh battery, the M5 weighs a reasonable 15.45 ounces, although one unknown bit of information is the actual battery life. The package comes with a comprehensive range of accessories including an extra battery, video output cable, VGA cable, USB cable, headset, and a leather case.

Processor: Intel Atom Z515 (1.2GHz)
Chipset: Intel US15W
Graphics: Intel GMA 500
RAM: 1GB DDR2
Hard Drive: 16GB SSD
Screen: 5 Inch 1024 x 600
Camera: 3 Mega pixel
Wi-Fi 802.11b / g
3G Network
Ethernet

Great where can I buy one, could link to a place wear I could purchase it? Also it has one deal breaker which is usage of a capacitive screen, I can't imagine myself controlling Windows or Linux without a stylus or drawing things and doing handwriting recognition without a stylus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Popcorn Dave said:
I like that it's Windows; not being an OS expert, a Windows system saves me worrying about compatibility issues, workarounds, downloading the right programmes, plugging it into my laptop to do stuff, etc.

The lack of XABY buttons is kind of annoying though. And for that price and size I'd really want 3G capability, personally. At the moment it kind of looks like half a smartphone. If the battery life turns out to be good it might be worth it though.
400-500 dollars is the same price as most smartphones and iPad without 3g. I'm sure if there was a demand they would offer optional 3g GSm or CDMA. I don't consider 3g important to me because there are wifi hotspots everywhere in my town (but that's just me :) .). I would actually want to get Linux running on it the only problem is those graphics drivers.

Asmo said:
john4p said:
No Pandora replacement, but a nice phone for portable Windows-stuff.

It isn't a phone! They have said they are in talks with various networks to produce such a variant at some point though.

Regarding battery life, they also said it was aiming for 'around 10 hours' (sound familiar?).
Well if you want a phone running Windows here is your answer Xpphone http://www.xpphone.com/en/
As for battery we don't, but I wouldn't be surprised if they get 10 hours battery to. Also I don't think we should compare the Openpandora and Ocosmos Ocs1 as gaming handhelds, but rather as pocket computers. This thing has some of the things I wanted in the Openpandora like webcam for video chat, 4.8 inch 1024x600 screen which is around 247 pixel per inch, flash support, and the ability to run the majority of Windows or Linux applications. I wouldn't say it is Pandora replacement for most gaming but handheld computing device and PC games this thing should be nice.

I find it interesting that Intel were directly involved in announcing the Ocosmos - I'd bet that if it delivers on it's promises, you can expect to see it's internals licensed to 'name brand' Netbook/Laptop makers who may well do a better cosmetic job on their version. I think it's a safe bet that this will not be the only device of it's type by the year's end.

Popcorn Dave said:
The lack of XABY buttons is kind of annoying though.

The Nubs also act as D-Pads, they can be pushed around horizontally for analog action, and pressed down for digital function - they also make a separate controller using the same system, it's easier to see how it works from the images linked in this post:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php...held-anounced/page__view__findpost__p__918390

I get it, it's like they tried to do with the Wiz, but I can't see it being as intuitive as having real buttons. The only time the Caanoo analogue stick is annoying is when you have to double-tap a direction button (e.g. running in Golden Axe), but with the XABY buttons you're multiple-tapping them all the time. There's a reason why double D-pads haven't been done before!

I'm happy to be proved wrong but at the moment it looks like these controls will be kind of shitty for retrogaming.

It might be easy enough to make a stick-on XABY button 'overlay' for the right nub!

Haha, maybe, but personally I don't have the confidence to pull apart a $500 piece of electronics! ;)

I also think it's a shame they don't have analogue AND digital controls, as well... it's kind of lacking if you want to emulate the PS1.

No, a stick-on overlay! Pop it over the right nub and it would act as digital XABY buttons only! Cheap 'n cheerful!

It does have analogue/digital controls simultaneously though (the digital funtions rest ON the Analogue) - and since analogue functionality came relatively late in the PS1's life, it shouldn't be too much of a limitation!

linuxftw said:
SONY said:
I'd rather have the Eking M5....

Great where can I buy one, could link to a place wear I could purchase it? Also it has one deal breaker which is usage of a capacitive screen, I can't imagine myself controlling Windows or Linux without a stylus or drawing things and doing handwriting recognition without a stylus.
You do not want this. Battery life is reportedly about 3 hours (not surprising as it has a 2600mAh battery, the Pandora has 4000mAh and has less power-hungry hardware). To be fair, it is possible to hotswap the battery, but still... It costs 770$ and is only available in China.

Those devices sound like nice UMPCs... and if you plan on playing mouse games (strategy stuff, etc.), then they are fine.
I personally prefer the DPad the Pandora has for gaming. And - of course - the battery power.
Playing 12 hours is nice :)

If those are Intel based... do they get warm of have some fan in there?

EvilDragon said:
Those devices sound like nice UMPCs... and if you plan on playing mouse games (strategy stuff, etc.), then they are fine.
I personally prefer the DPad the Pandora has for gaming. And - of course - the battery power.
Playing 12 hours is nice :)

If those are Intel based... do they get warm of have some fan in there?
One of the major reasons I steer clear of x86 based handhelds and tablets, anything more than a netbook, is the battery. As far as x86 programs I want in a handheld/tablet I think I'll just wait until some sort of emulation get better on the low powered chips.

Basically the same controls, and effective power that a smartphone like the N900 or Droid 2 has, yet it's battery life will be only a fraction.

I don't see how any of this is any more of a "pandora killer" than an N900 with a gamegripper, which isn't really a killer.

The one the thread began about - the Ocosmos, not the Viliv pictured on the previous page - has dual analogue & digital pads, they're not just D-Pads. They are also talking about 10 hours battery life.

Yes, talk is cheap. It might ultmately stink, it might explode in a ball of fire after a single Counterstrike game.

It isn't, however, directly comparable to the power hungry disappointments of the past because of it's new chipset.

Look on the bright side, you won't have to cough up until they prove themselves ;)

Elanzer said:
Basically the same controls, and effective power that a smartphone like the N900 or Droid 2 has, yet it's battery life will be only a fraction.

I don't see how any of this is any more of a "pandora killer" than an N900 with a gamegripper, which isn't really a killer.
The thing has a USB host through a built in port something which most phones don't have, it can run any os you want Windows, Linux, or Even Macintosh, good video chat (most phones are that great at making video calls), HDMI out, much more powerful processor, bigger higher resolution screen, support for flash, html5, or silverlight that isn't slow or jerky. In my opinion it does what a smartphone does, but it does it a lot better and more. We don't know what the battery life is like.

The OCS-1's bigger brother the OCS-9 has had a facelift since it was first mentioned last September (early pictures had a slide-out keyboard/controller from behind the tablet-style screen) and apparently it'll be launched 'this week'

AND the OCS-1 has been redesigned to make it look much smarter, though depending which news story has it right, it may have a virtual keyboard now instead, and can use an optional wireless controller/keyboard like the OCS-9, or includes such a controller in a case...

http://www.slashgear.com/ocosmos-osc1-and-osc9-gaming-tablet-get-tweaked-ahead-of-debut-04122920/

That wireless controller could be quite good if you had the main unit hooked up via HDMI to your Enormotron TV.

The OCS-1's alleged new face:
ocs_ocs1_front.jpg

Oh my.

More: (notice there IS a screen cover!)

http://www.gizmocrunch.com/games/4629-ces-ocosmos-windows-7-3ds-psp

The oc1 looks okay the oc9 looks like an abomination to me...I never did like that sony handheld x86 that was ass expensive.

What I think *should* happen...go cortex a9 with the most recent sgx, probably a 800x600 7 or 8" screen. Put the dpad/buttons higher so the triggers are easier to hit. This would be able to run a tablet OS (get rid of hard keyboard) with plenty of power and have the nice added ability of having gaming controls in the area now that's typically just bezel space. Yeah, you'd have to play this thing in your lap.

The latest -

http://blog.laptopmag.com/ocosmos-s...and-ocs9-9-inch-tablet-complete-with-oaktrail

Apparently there are several variants of it, the OCS-1 with the slider keyboard seen earlier (Korea only at the moment for some reason) the OCS-1U as seen above, and a mini tablet style OCS-1E that can have the 2 nubs added to it via either a backplate, or a snazzy wallet (see the gallery in the link above) - where the controllers are in the opposite side so it can be used clamshell-like. If they stuck a keyboard into all that dead space between the nubs on that wallet, I think they could be onto something. Just imagine custom wallets with your preferred retro theme.

ocs1-3.jpg

Back