I think I should formly Introduce myself

@obiwan:

Interesting proposition.

VNC is at present much too inefficient to handle any hectic gaming or a spray of pixels/ polygons.

I'm optimistic about the possibility for a dedicated streaming server. I could certainly imagine streaming Gamecube, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2 and Xbox games.

Wii has such an offbeat controller, that I don't think it will be practical with a handheld.

I think it's a great idea that should be worked out in practice.

Until there is a good crossplatform emulator that emulates the Pandora (wink, wink) I wouldn't be able to test this, though I'd love to. If this project will also entail a i386-Linux client, I'd love to test this on my old P3-600 lappy, though I think that the screen refresh rate will make any fast reflex game impossible.

I'm a 2nd batcher, so if I'm lucky I'll have my Pandora in perhaps... December?

^@OPT: Sorry about the pessimism there, but the way things are going, I sometimes believe that the release schedule of the pandies is jinxed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I make cars get unlimited mileage by putting them on a tow truck and I make cars fly by putting them in a cargo airplane.

I'm freaking awesome.

I make my TV emulate all and any consoles ever made by hooking it up to said console using a video cable, I am like, the god of emulation.

:rolleyes:

Guys, I Dont see how its insufficient to run vnc desktop. I mean when I did it with my psp, it ran full speed very fast with almost no delay, check out my video in my first post!

Guys, I Dont see how its insufficient to run vnc desktop. I mean when I did it with my psp, it ran full speed very fast with almost no delay, check out my video in my first post!

You probably don't have a network connection that downloads at 20KB/sec like my Pandora does.

D.

You probably don't have a network connection that downloads at 20KB/sec like my Pandora does.

D.
whose fault is it? the pandora's or the network?

D.
whose fault is it? the pandora's or the network?

Fairly certain it's the Pandora's, as the other devices on the network can transfer at full speed. Unfortunately, some routers just don't work well (or at all, currently) with the Pandora. My internet connection can go as high as 40KB/Sec, but rarely gets above 30.

D.

what country do you live in? you know that you can get 22 Mbit/s with a better 3g connection and even faster with 4g. The 3g network in Sweden have been fast enough for years. especially when you consider the resolution of the pandora.
As it seems I did not make it clear, what I had meant: Likely the bandwith "on the go" would be sufficient, but I'm very sceptical that response times (during paket exchange) will be small enough to play anything that needs a relativly fast response from the gamer.

I can think of a perfect scenario where this statement can be argued: My missis watches loads of crap on the telly, meaning that I can rarely play the WII - I would love to be able to get a bit further in Resident Evil 4, or new SMB WII via my Pandora. I say go for it!
A valid argument for the general use of "game streaming", but the thread creators idea depends on a "strong" machine (PC) with an emulator on it. In your case you would rather use the PC with the emulator on in directly - especially when playing with the wii demands more movement of yourself.

Coul you give us a quick headstart of what Software exactly you are using (server and client)? And also, did you modify them (or even created them yourself) or are they just very well configured ?

Did you try more demanding games than Super Mario Kart ? Super Mario Kart seems to be rather easy for a picture compression algorythm. Could you make a video of streaming a film instead of a game (best if it has lots of movement, all over the screen). If the film is playing fluid on your psp, I would be quite shocked.

When I copy files from my pc to the pandora over wireless, I get about 350kb/s so this has to be enough for the connection.

But if you get a wreless stick or connect directly to lan with a usb-ethernetadapter, there is virtually no speedlimit.

what country do you live in? you know that you can get 22 Mbit/s with a better 3g connection and even faster with 4g. The 3g network in Sweden have been fast enough for years. especially when you consider the resolution of the pandora.
As it seems I did not make it clear, what I had meant: Likely the bandwith "on the go" would be sufficient, but I'm very sceptical that response times (during paket exchange) will be small enough to play anything that needs a relativly fast response from the gamer.

I can think of a perfect scenario where this statement can be argued: My missis watches loads of crap on the telly, meaning that I can rarely play the WII - I would love to be able to get a bit further in Resident Evil 4, or new SMB WII via my Pandora. I say go for it!
A valid argument for the general use of "game streaming", but the thread creators idea depends on a "strong" machine (PC) with an emulator on it. In your case you would rather use the PC with the emulator on in directly - especially when playing with the wii demands more movement of yourself.

Coul you give us a quick headstart of what Software exactly you are using (server and client)? And also, did you modify them (or even created them yourself) or are they just very well configured ?

Did you try more demanding games than Super Mario Kart ? Super Mario Kart seems to be rather easy for a picture compression algorythm. Could you make a video of streaming a film instead of a game (best if it has lots of movement, all over the screen). If the film is playing fluid on your psp, I would be quite shocked.

Im running a program called PSPdisp, it is a very fluid and fast program that displays real time to the psp.

I can make a video of having something more "Exciting" happening if more people want me to.

I can also run any high demanding COMPUTER game and map the controllers to the psp and play through wifi! its very cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the UK is behind most of the civilised world in all forms of internet speed

oh definately, especially if you take into account the fact that most things advertised as 'unlimited' have a 50GB monthly limit before they cap your speed to ridiculous, and peak time throttling from about lunchtime to midnight

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!

50GB.... 50GB!!!!!!! Oh I feel soooooo sorry for you having your speed capped after 50 fricken GB! :wacko:

Actually no... F U CoffeeBay and the rest of the Wild Coast with your lousy 3rd world excuse for an internet connection. :angry: I can't afford to have any other vices because all my fricken money goes towards buying data packages!

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!

50GB.... 50GB!!!!!!! Oh I feel soooooo sorry for you having your speed capped after 50 fricken GB! :wacko:

heh, luckily we have some sense and are strictly o2/Be users, so it's 14Mb down, 1.3Mb up, and they haven't complained after i stress tested it (downloading every modern linux distro i could find, about half a TB in a month)

boy, my isp must hate me when i had 24mbps connection, as i was easily doing 2tb/month for the time, now im back down to 6mbps, and 2/3 of a tb/month must be my avg i would guess

Back