X86 Windows 7 Gaming Handheld Anounced.

OCS1-8830_575px.jpg

Thank you for Bumbers (L & R buttons). :)

EvilDragon said:
Awful looking controls. The double-dpad is not gonna work - believe me. I also thought it couldn't be that bad when they announced it for the WIZ - then I tried playing Super Mario World. Jumping while running is simply not possible with a double DPad.

Wait, what problem with jumping and running at the same time in SMW? I have no problem at all doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Darkknight512 said:
EvilDragon said:
Awful looking controls. The double-dpad is not gonna work - believe me. I also thought it couldn't be that bad when they announced it for the WIZ - then I tried playing Super Mario World. Jumping while running is simply not possible with a double DPad.

Wait, what problem with jumping and running at the same time in SMW? I have no problem at all doing that.

ED was talking about the early-prototype WIZ (it had 2 d-pads/dual d-pads) that he played SMW on, not the retail WIZ that we see now.

2 random images that have nothing to do with anything, shown below.

cci00009in7.jpg

wiz_wifi.bmp

SONY said:
Darkknight512 said:
EvilDragon said:

ED was talking about the early-prototype WIZ (it had 2 d-pads/dual d-pads) that he played SMW on, not the retail WIZ that we see now.

Exactly. And that SMW playing was the only thing that showed GPH Dual DPads are not a good idea ;)

Last edited:
I was researching these and they are quite popular in Europe and Japan but there are trade offs. First off they are expensive more so than the 400 dollar Pandora probably something like 800-1000 easily. Seconds off the battery life aren't great.

Exophase said:
SoleGrave said:
It just looks so . . . . . . . ugly. This prototype needs some severe revisions.

Really? I think it looks pretty good. Better than Pandora at least. Good thing looks don't really matter.

I guess generic or clunky might be better words. For me it doesnt appear too sleek. Photos dont illustrate as much as when you actually hold the unit though. I must admit I really like the Pandora's layout.

It's got HDMI output - that's a major plus for displaying games and HD content on a modern flatscreen or projector.

SONY said:
Wow! I think I'm in love~ :wub:

I hope that massive 9 incher has L & R buttons. :)

Maybe they're on the base or sides. Otherwise you'll need REALLY big hands.

Before anyone dismisses the 'D-Pad' style controls, they're worth a closer inspection -
They are analogue nubs that also act as digital pads. So you have, in effect, nubs which also have four buttons on them. You could move the mouse pointer and click it (or several other actions) with one finger, drag and drop with one action and so on.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/15/ocosmos-ocs-1-and-o-bar-eyes-on-plus-a-smattering-of-prototype/

Eerily shadowing OP, they also have a controller with their multi action nubs coming next year, you can get a better visual sense of how they work from looking at it:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/ocosmoss-o-bar-peripheral-and-a-host-of-slick-sliding-devices/

wait, so if you want to press teh left arrow, you have to press it down on the left button, which then slides sideways as it's on a nub(and making you miss that critical sniper shot) and then clicks down the center of the nub? could go terribly wrong, and just seems so unecessary, just have seperate buttons

Not really, from what I can gather you basically 'rock' your finger on the nub to activate the button of choice.

Alternatively, you could depress the center and the nub movements would then control a second level of actions, like the action selector in later Lucasarts adventures where you right clicked and the pointer became your option selector.

Has anyone noticed how terrible the keyboard layout is? I hadn't until someone pointed it out somewhere.

Seriously, it's bad.

I could work with it!

Seriously though, with Intel waving it around for the media in the US this is going to be noticed, even if it fails to live up to it's promise. The Genie is out of the bottle for an X86 gaming-friendly handheld.

The Nubs - if they perform - are also very, very intriguing. Left or right handed 'D-Pad' and Nub operation for example.

Asmo said:
I could work with it!

Seriously though, with Intel waving it around for the media in the US this is going to be noticed, even if it fails to live up to it's promise. The Genie is out of the bottle for an X86 gaming-friendly handheld.

The Nubs - if they perform - are also very, very intriguing. Left or right handed 'D-Pad' and Nub operation for example.

if this thing is half of what it cliams to be... it might be one of the better systems out there. if ya hate the keyboard, buy one of those awesome portable bluetooth keyboards. i don't know though, i want to see some reviews on this pupper.

Back