This is tight

@Stan - Yeah, that is the gist of what I meant. :p That is to say, I'm less in favour of "learning an OS" so that one can gain an advantage in employment and more in favour of learning the standard basics so one can adapt to any of the common OSes they might come across in the average "Joe User"-esque (or occasionally not so "Joe User"-esque) workplace.

An older relative of mine recently switched to a new application for some work that they do. Unlike many far younger people that I've personally dealt with, they adapted to it within mere minutes, because they had learned the common basics, rather than any one application's nuances. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
At least if someone knows Windows they know something. A couple of years ago I was tasked with training a new employee on the computer system at work. First step was teaching them how to use a mouse. It was a long week.

I guess my gripe is with the mindset where some insist they've "learned" Windows, and then freak out completely when they have to use an identical application (and by this I mean, same software, same version, and everything) on a Macintosh or on some Linux distribution or other. :lol: It's kind of scary how there seems to be a block between applying the same abilities on one OS and applying them on another, just because the other is "not what they learned"...

Anyway, I blather. Sounds like that was a fun time, Tickles. :p

Analogy-ing Prometheus' point, it's like people today are learning how to drive their specific model of car, but fumble and forget the rules of the road if the shifter is suddenly in a different place.

Learn the basics, the general location of the lights, the wipers, the shifter, the gas and brake, and you can sit yourself into almost any automatic transmission automobile.

An older relative of mine recently switched to a new application for some work that they do. Unlike many far younger people that I've personally dealt with, they adapted to it within mere minutes, because they had learned the common basics, rather than any one application's nuances. :p
This is all way too familiar to me.

I volunteer one day a week at Age Concern teaching the over 50's how to use Internet, email and general computer use. I make sure that everything I teach is the absolute basics that are shared over all operating systems.

Within twelve weeks they can use pretty much any modern computer system regardless of the Operating system that it uses and can use any web browser and any email client.

Not surprising that I get 10 out of 10 when they give me my tutoring review at the end of all the sessions ;)

One of the things that I'll be using my Pandora for (when I get it)is to write up a full tutorial on this I think :)

definatly not in the same market niche as the pandora...

the control look like they suck.

the price gonna be at least 2time higher.

the battery life gonna suck.

a good looking device otherwise... it should allow you to play some pc game that you won't be able with the pandora (thinking more specifically to thief1+2, system shock2, morrowind (ok there's a port, but it's far from being playable last time I checked...).

I'm guessing not many have actually looked at the close up pictures on the Engadget page. I do find it a bit distrubing that they have this handheld sitting on a laptop cooler pad!! So wondering about heat? my guess it it gets a bit more than warm!

Also, I agree with WizardStan, I too have had people like my mother who just cannot understand that in nearly every Windows application the "File, Edit, etc" menu at the top of the program is for the same general uses and options across many programs. While the options do vary, she would continually ask, "Where do I go to open a file for this" same place ma, file>Open file! Where she will never become an OS master of any kind, she has used Windows 3.1, 95, 98, XP and now Windows 7, you'd think by now she'd know you can drag and drop a file from different folders, save a file to another hard drive and yes you can view a photo right from the DVD ma, you don't have to "save it to the computer" first!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back