This Forum Seems So...

ColdRush

Still Fresh
Dead...Was there once a time when this forum was a bustling junction of development and happiness?

It's so gloomy and sad here.

ColdRush said:
Dead...Was there once a time when this forum was a bustling junction of development and happiness?

It's so gloomy and sad here.

I wouldn't say it was bustling but I only joined in 2006. Back then, the community was split between relatively few handheld devices. The GP2X was fresh and exciting, the only device of its kind on the market (runs Linux, created with official support for homebrew). Now, in 2011, we have our choice of devices like that so it is maybe unrealistic to think we could sustain fervor like that. Once the Pandora gets into more peoples' hands or GPH creates a device many of us want (i.e. not just a rehash of the Wiz which was a small improvement over the GP2X) we might see more activity return.

You need to understand just how small the target audience of this forum is. We're talking less than 100,000 devices total.. Much less, probably. Tiny, really, compared to PSP or NDS etc etc. So it is really surprising the amount of activity I've witnessed. We had some really amazing things happen in the GP2X scene and what we need now is the Pandora team to get production rolling. I hope this can happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until there are a few thousand Pandora users, I think its going to be pretty quiet around here, development-wise. Its one of those "build it and they will come" situations, unfortunately ..

I see. Well I hope a good development scene begins for the Caanoo aswell, I wish success to all new consoles coming into the market.

I've noticed it being a little quieter since a separate Pandora forum was set up... This isn't the quietest forum I've seen... I've seen pretty much dead forums. I don't really thing this forum is that sad.

A thread about a forum being dead, with the thread second from the top of the off topic discussion and no replies for 2 days? That's a dead forum :p

Dunno about other people, but this forum has been boring me for ages and I've been watching the rigor mortis kick in for a few months. I keep checking here every so often now, but only when I'm uber bored. Even GBATemp is more interesting, and that's saying something considering the combined IQ of most of the members there ;)

There's just not a lot to talk about. All these consoles are so confusing. I have no idea what to develop for.

I've been fading away ever since my Wiz died on me as well. Mostly cause I found other devices to fill my main need of music which can handle an occasional game. Also I just dislike carrying a lot gadgets. But I might consider a new one when GPH comes up with one.

Pity since I've really enjoyed my time on these forums, the combination of open source, hacking and gaming is hard to beat. There should be a forum top1000 where we could vote for gp32x as the BEST EVAR. :)

Javacat said:
A thread about a forum being dead, with the thread second from the top of the off topic discussion and no replies for 2 days? That's a dead forum :p

Dunno about other people, but this forum has been boring me for ages and I've been watching the rigor mortis kick in for a few months. I keep checking here every so often now, but only when I'm uber bored. Even GBATemp is more interesting, and that's saying something considering the combined IQ of most of the members there ;)

The forum was dead when I joined in 2003, it had a few hundred members. Poor old hando had been posting blog items and moderating for something like two years before the GP32 blew up and became popular. I guess forum activity spiked again with the GP2X, and then dropped. It would take a similarly popular handheld device to resuscitate it again...

Dunno, but what should you be discussing over and over again? I think most gph/pandora-device-related talks have been gone through several times - and until there's nothing really new, there won't be much of conversation going on.

I hope/think it's going to get "better" (whatever that means) when most pandoras are delivered.

Rico said:
The forum was dead when I joined in 2003, it had a few hundred members. Poor old hando had been posting blog items and moderating for something like two years before the GP32 blew up and became popular. I guess forum activity spiked again with the GP2X, and then dropped. It would take a similarly popular handheld device to resuscitate it again...
Hi Rico! Haven't seen you for ages! :p

Yeah, I joined during the GP32 boom and stayed with the GP2X but now that I am working, I just don't have the time to tinker any more :(

torpor said:
Until there are a few thousand Pandora users, I think its going to be pretty quiet around here, development-wise. Its one of those "build it and they will come" situations, unfortunately ..
I'm absolutely sure that once the production of Pandora units goes swimmingly, there will be MANY more people coming especially to the official forum, but this one also. As to what kind of people that might be, though... well, that's a question which thinking about scares me, actually. If the Pandora will be marketed too much and/or too ingenuinely, then this place might just get filled by too many flaming idiots, to an extend where the sane people won't be able to keep up.

GP32 days were awesome.. I remember some of the flame wars that kicked off (craigix vs the French stands out in memory). Classic! I never got into GP2X and once my GP32 blew up I guess I more or less stick to Off Topic.

Goity said:
There's just not a lot to talk about. All these consoles are so confusing. I have no idea what to develop for.
Psst, develop for the Caanoo!

Rico said:
Javacat said:

Holy crap! He lives!

ColdRush said:
I see. Well I hope a good development scene begins for the Caanoo aswell, I wish success to all new consoles coming into the market.

I don't think that's going to happen - if the Canoe were going to explode with developers it would have done so by now. GPH have dropped the ball again, and need to get a console out that a larger amount of developers actually want to develop for rather than making a console that games players who have no coding abilities (and no desire to learn how to develop for themselves) want.

GPH have messed up badly since the GP2X, and need to get back on track.

D.

This off-topic section used to be really busy, full of arguments on politics, games, tech, and pretty much everything else.

You can change things! The power is yours!

Frankly, I've been trying to keep the fires stoked on the OpenPandora boards, but I'm slowing down a bit. I really can't contribute to threads since I haven't received my unit yet. The Pandora is the only thing tying me to this community, and I don't have even a vague idea when I will be receiving it. TBH, my friend asked me to help him develop a game for the XBox, and I figure I should take him up on it (even though I hate locking myself down to a platform). Still, I've taken a liking to some of the game ideas that eventually got thrown out. I wouldn't mind developing a few of them on my own time.

Hmm, this has sent me on a quest to check out different forums. The Gentoo forum has a SPARC subsection. Kind of makes me want to pester the CSIS department at my university to see if they'll ever get rid of them.

gp32x used to be my homepage, now I only check in on the continuing pandora drama every couple of months.

Nice to see some old members though :).

finty said:
gp32x used to be my homepage, now I only check in on the continuing pandora drama every couple of months.

Nice to see some old members though :) .
No you're an old member.

That is all.

hehe member

Back