The World's First 5.5 Inch Handheld PC/Gaming Console Based on Windows 10 System.

The thing is though, for the games where you need Windows, all of them are better on a desktop.
Steam itself (valve) is about Linux nowadays with SteamOS.

The games you don't need windows for, dota and CS, dont work on handhelds, at all.

There are lots of simpler 2D games that can be controlled exclusively with gamepads that are just not available on Linux yet (and may never be)

Some of them work with Wine, but in my experience that's very hit or miss and often not well documented, so you're left with taking a risk buying something with no idea. And some of the ones that are supposed to work on Linux have problems and need a bunch of hoops to run through or never work at all (for instance, I had to hunt down a different newer Adobe AIR client to run Anodyne)

Last edited:
True that exo, the base of the community is however technical types, who can do these sorts of things.
It only alleviates the point, but those are the bread and butter.

To that same demographic I should think Windows is seen as a additional inconvenience to running a desktop, which is the more than a game console that laptop-like devices are going for.

I wonder if there is a market for a windows handheld anything, where many, including MS itself, has failed.

It would have to be the casual gamers, and are they going for indiegogo campaigns? I would understand it if it was facebook/VR/lotsofhype/google doing something. It just wouldnt ever be windows.

One risk i can see with this new GPD device is poor after-sales support.
If the "Thanks so much for your kind concerns and support for GPD WIN!!!" posts above are anything to go by, GPD see forums like this as a near-monodirectional advertising platform, rather than an opportunity to engage with, consult and build long-term links with potential customers.

GPD seem unlikely to put much effort into OS upgrades (even if MS facilitate that sort of thing), and the port-linux-to-everything brigade will probably spend their budget on a Pyra.

For all I'm glad to see more manufacturers taking an interest in clamshell palmtops, the only benefit I see the GPD having over the Pyra is cost. Even if I weren't involved in the pandora/pyra community, I wouldn't buy a GPD WIN. Some people will. Good luck to them.

Is this the 6th or the 7th thread open about this handheld?

Seems like moderators don't give a damn about spam here.
[doublepost=1456649970,1456649920][/doublepost]
What does SteamOS provide that Win 10 with Steam automatically booting up in big picture mode doesn't? All I know is it'll have a much smaller library and in some cases inferior drivers.

No Windows license crap out of the box, spying you constantly by default ?

Seems like moderators don't give a damn about spam here.
[doublepost=1456649970,1456649920][/doublepost]

I think they have more important things to do, it's not like bot spamming, ok there is several threads for the same item, but the forum is well maintained, and lively, I've seen worse.

One risk i can see with this new GPD device is poor after-sales support.
If the "Thanks so much for your kind concerns and support for GPD WIN!!!" posts above are anything to go by, GPD see forums like this as a near-monodirectional advertising platform, rather than an opportunity to engage with, consult and build long-term links with potential customers
Apart from the usual distanced business behaviour of most people, some pretty common anti-western racism comes into play very often too imho.
I've experienced this in school (from Korean, Japanese and Chinese people) and heard this from several people living abroad in several countries in Asia: It's rather talking at Europeans and Americans than talking with them.
The communication often seems very one sided to me.
Of course when it comes to business, honesty is often rather absent, Dragonbox and some other small companies being exceptions to the rule.

BTW: Did you know that China actually has a patent system and is very strict about it when it comes to their own people/companies?
I wonder how it's handled in Korea and Hong-Kong.

Last edited:
Hello,everyone.This is kendy form GPD company..... Any concerns,just be free to let me know.Thanks so much!!http://igg.me/at/gpdwin/x/13469132

Can we install Linux in GDP. It would be nice if it is like a PC in this way, so that you can install SO you want (if hard is supported).

Pyra, for example, has a unbrickable bootloader, so you can test what you want: you will never brick the machine. I think this is the way to go.

Can we install Linux in GDP. It would be nice if it is like a PC in this way, so that you can install SO you want (if hard is supported).

Pyra, for example, has a unbrickable bootloader, so you can test what you want: you will never brick the machine. I think this is the way to go.
You can, it's got a UEFI, I put Linux on a cheap Windows tab from China, this won't be much different.

The question I'm waiting to hear though is if the UEFI is 32 or 64 bit. If they stay below 4GB ram, there is no technical reason why they couldn't stay with 32, but if they don't do 64 bit we will be stuck with 32 bit OS. It makes porting Linux more complicated but not impossible. I was able to hook a 32 bit grub EFI bootloader on the internal with a simple recompile. Most stuff worked out of the box, stuff like wifi and sound needed a bit of work.

Also GPD, if you are reading this, if you want someone to work on a Linux port (Ubuntu) I offer my services for a sample engineering unit. PM if interested.

Last edited:
Same here. Haven't used Linux before outside of saving my Windows partition sometimes with a Knoppix-CD.
Since OpenPandora I went full Linux and wouldn't go back.

I'm the opposite, I suppose. I started with Windows (and hated it, after the bliss of AmigaOS 3.1) and moved to Linux via Slackware and then later Debian - but there was something wrong. Nothing was quite right. Gaming was out the window in Linux, and still is - games that run smoothly under Win10 move jerkily (if at all) and controls feel less fluid in Linux (drivers at fault, I'm told, and there's nothing anyone can do about it). The "they have this type of game on <console/pc> so we must have it too" mentality pervades most native Linux games, where they try to make up for the lack of experience and talent in game making by changing the central character to a penguin.

Productivity software is... well, just not quite there, is it? Libre Office is just plain ugly and looks like it came from Win98. GIMP is painful to use, especially as it doesn't have any sort of cohesive UI design. And of course there's the desktop. It's also almost usable - Gnome 2, Mate, Cinnamon, KDE, they're all just about usable but still have glaring issues that nobody seems to care about fixing.

Of course, Windows isn't perfect and neither is OSX but at least they feel like they've had some care and attention injected. Under the hood, Linux is a fantastic OS and I love the way it works. I just don't like working with it.

So I have three PCs running in my study for work - one laptop for Win10 (required by work or it'd be Win7), one running OSX (2015 MBP) and one triple-booting Debian/Slackware/Mint for testing deployments. It's no surprise that I spend nearly all of my time in the Windows box.

D.

@ZXDunny , Odd I find Windows absolutely frustrating to work with, I find it hard to get any kind of work done, it lacks any tools and most of the time requires getting a ton of third party software to be productive. Personally I rarely need all the features of an office suit, I find the current UI for Excel to be overly complicated and like the simplicity of LibreOffice and about all I do is simple spreadsheets for data analysis. I can't speak about Gimp I rarely need to edit images. For the most part I'm typically in deep on the command line for most of my work day and I still think Geany is the best programming editor out there, any of the others I've used are just too bloated to be useful. I'm not a person that cares about having a DE that looks ugly, I'd much rather it work well and be consistent.

I do game a bit on Linux, including many of the recent AAA titles out there, I manage well even on my modest system.

I've played VVVVVV on my Linux laptop, which I'd have thought would be a pretty good test of keyboard responsiveness, so if in Dunny's experience that used to be a problem, I guess they finally fixed it. And of course, plenty of twitch games on my Pandora too.

I figured we were talking about a dual boot scenario with Win10 + SteamOS. If I'm strictly using this to play games anyway (which is all SteamOS is good for.. or watching some movies I guess?) I frankly don't care who spies on me.

I figured we were talking about a dual boot scenario with Win10 + SteamOS. If I'm strictly using this to play games anyway (which is all SteamOS is good for.. or watching some movies I guess?) I frankly don't care who spies on me.

If only games, yes, but you can also browse websites or launch other applications through SteamOS - there's really nothing preventing you from doing more under SteamOS since you have unprotected root access.
[doublepost=1456731954,1456731750][/doublepost]
Libre Office is just plain ugly and looks like it came from Win98. GIMP is painful to use, especially as it doesn't have any sort of cohesive UI design.

Most people found the ribbon shite introduced by Office 2007 and the following horrible and I still think it's shite no matter what angle I look at it. It's too convoluted for what it does, and introduces complexity where there should not be.
LibreOffice's interface is not great either, but at least it stays in the Office2003 realm which was a little more sensible.

As for GIMP, well if you had started with GIMP you'd find Photoshop awkward for sure. It's all a matter of baseline.
[doublepost=1456732058][/doublepost]
Productivity software is... well, just not quite there, is it?

Once you live in the command line, you don't look back to programs with UI. CLI is productivity, except for very specific applications where you need a front facing interface to do something useful. In most cases, even editing text, you don't.

If only games, yes, but you can also browse websites or launch other applications through SteamOS - there's really nothing preventing you from doing more under SteamOS since you have unprotected root access.

That pretty much brings us full circle.. why use SteamOS if you want to do anything other than play games? I can understand preferring a Linux distro, but why not just install the Steam client on one?

That pretty much brings us full circle.. why use SteamOS if you want to do anything other than play games? I can understand preferring a Linux distro, but why not just install the Steam client on one?

Personally I would rather have a Linux distro and the Steam client on top, but it depends what the main purpose is for the machine we consider (and who you are selling it to). The only advantage of SteamOS is hardware compatibility (the use the latest kernels as much as possible) and seamless updates for GPU drivers.

Personally, I doubt I would get both a GPD WIN and a Pyra. Reasons why I currently plan on getting the Pyra are:

1. Modular CPU board
2. Backlit keyboard
3. Cell module
4. Linux support

However, if GPD is able to pull off the promised thickness, count me a bit jealous. I would love for an optional case mod that could slim down the Pyra in exchange for a Pandora sized battery. I am ecstatic at how the Pyra is turning out, but having the option would be nice for me. Especially if the bulk of the larger battery could be added or removed on a whim like with extended life batteries in laptops.

Also, I read a review that said when the CPU and GPU of the Z8500 in a tablet was stress tested, that it was only a minute or two before it reached 84° C and then needed to be throttled. It will be interesting to see how the heat issue compares between the GPD WIN and the Pyra.

I'd be very interested to see numbers from both devices as well. I've heard extremes of yes it will be, and no it won't be problems for both chipsets.

Also, I read a review that said when the CPU and GPU of the Z8500 in a tablet was stress tested, that it was only a minute or two before it reached 84° C and then needed to be throttled.
Interesting, got a link for that?

From this review the picture was a little different :
I recently tested the tablet using Aida64 and Cinebench to really determine if Thermal throttling was affecting performance. My results were surprising, although the tablet ran HOT, it never got hot enough to cause Thermal Throttling, thus Full performance was still available, when you need it. Aida64 is just like Prime95 and it tested the tablet at a theoretical situation of all 4 cores at 100%. It revealed a slight or neglible thermal throttling but at just 3%, this is barely noticeable. The temps remain the same, the CPU performance remain also the same, about 1.4 to 1.5GHz, which is it’s ideal working speed.

The Cinebench test validated this result, the test is a “real world benchmark test”and it also revealed no Thermal Throttling, full performance was always available. However, the tablet still ran HOT, about 83 to 84 C, on its hottest core, which is really palpable when you use it as a tablet. But you don’t need to worry about performance.

What it needs is better cooling design, Cherry Trail is a good CPU and is able to work at full speed even running close to its Threshold temperature.

FWIW I've got a tablet running a z8300 and that gets at most pleasantly warm after a couple of hours heavy CPU usage.

Back