The Wikipedia Page Is Being Nominated For Speedy Deletion!

xnopasaranx said:
woops sorry... I amended the stuff I mentioned. Feel free to undo it. I still don't think that saturn emulation will be possible and would leave saturn, ds, 3do and n64 away for now or at least say that these are in discussion. there is nothing we can show off yet so we are moving on pretty thin ice when promising stuff like that. I wouldn't do it!!!

Also ubuntu packages will not be supported just like that. What makes you think you could access ubuntu repositories? Most of the applications and packages are made for x86 or 64bit processors and are not at all supported. It's just blatantly wrong! A debian compatible structure yes, but it will not support ubuntu or debian packages. I know that ubuntu was branched from debian, still the phrasing of that part is misleading as heck!

EDIT: Nice work on polishing the article by the way. Really looks like something now.
Er, whoops. I forgot that Ubuntu was only for x86. Damnit, staying up late for finals messes you up.

*changing*

Last edited by a moderator:
xnopasaranx said:
Also ubuntu packages will not be supported just like that. What makes you think you could access ubuntu repositories? Most of the applications and packages are made for x86 or 64bit processors and are not at all supported. It's just blatantly wrong! A debian compatible structure yes, but it will not support ubuntu or debian packages. I know that ubuntu was branched from debian, still the phrasing of that part is misleading as heck!
Did CraigIX say that the Debian ARM repositories were accessible by this a long time ago? Because I definitely remembered something like that, so I could see the confusion...

I still don't agree with the article promising N64, DS, 3do and saturn emulation. Well... if exophase said anywhere that it was feasible, I guess he is one of the people being able to judge this. Considering though that we don't even know the clockrate of the pandora yet I would still say that it's possible at most but not for certain like the article implies.

Yeah, I really don't know about that... I can't see Saturn running well because of how ridiculous a system it was, at the very least. Kind of like how Microsoft just took a bunch of PC parts to make the Xbox. Except for the fact that while the Xbox is basically a PC, I don't know WHAT you'd get if you tried to make anything out of Saturn components. :lol:

xnopasaranx said:
A debian compatible structure yes, but it will not support ubuntu or debian packages. I know that ubuntu was branched from debian, still the phrasing of that part is misleading as heck.
Most Debian ARM packages already run on Open2x. Why wouldn't they on this? I an see why they want that article deleted - it's just a bulleted list.

It needs some more history. Maybe elaborate on gbax and CraigIX's relationship with GPH? And the GP2X design decisions that everyone's always mad about.

icurafu said:
better if it was just a stumb with a quick description and no specs. It sounds like it had a fanboy author.
That's because it had a fanboy author :p

Maybe you could add more Information to the LCD Screen, MWeston had posted this in another Thread:

MWeston said:
It is a transmissive panel which means that it does wash out in direct sunlight. I have never seen a panel like this available in transflective. I think there is a PDA phone out there that has it, but I'm not sure. If I could ever find one, it would be a nice consideration as long as the pricing wasn't completely ridiculous!

The screen itself is not the high gloss type, plus with the adjustable hinge, it might be possible to shadow the display for respectable outdoor use.

Here are a few more specs on the display:

- brightness: 300 cd/m2
- contrast ratio: 450:1
- response time: tr + tf=30ms

EDIT: This means no ghosting! I don't know what Sony was thinking with that PSP screen.
:)

I'm made some major changes to the language and tried to make it seem a lot more objective. I hope that helps.

Just so people know: Wikipedia citations get messed up if you change the case. Don't mess with them. :p

peter R: Thanks.

Also: Success! The original nominator says that there's no visible commercial intent!

*pops cork of electronic champagne*

whiskthecat said:
Is there a point to having a bluwiki and wikipedia page?
The Pandora Wiki is the most casual, and is updated more quickly, so it's more useful for us. The Wikipedia page is for everyone else.

atomicthumbs said:
I need help. The Wikipedia page is in danger of speedy deletion, due to looking like spam.

I need some people to help me clean up the article and add some content; preferably people who have experience editing Wikipedia and know what a proper Wikipedia article should look and sound like.

I'm going to start by cleaning up the references to link to the actual forum posts. Who's with me?

:ninja:

I did a tiny little edit pointing out that PPC based Macs can also emulate the said platforms, I added 4 words (presumably the article is talking about laptops when it says the only other portable device and mentions x86).
It is kinda like an ad as well. Someone said earlier it looked like it was written by a fanboy, I agree.
I was wondering if that picture is the actual design? It looks very hard to use as a video game. The nubs look like they are so far in that it would be uncomfortable to hold and hard on the hands. I guess it doesn't matter, because it's priced out of my range and would probably only get one after a major price cut and then used to get in down under $200usd.

Chris

christo930 said:
The nubs look like they are so far in that it would be uncomfortable to hold and hard on the hands. I guess it doesn't matter, because it's priced out of my range and would probably only get one after a major price cut and then used to get in down under $200usd.
Please find out what the actual dimensions are, and imagine them in your hands before you criticize. There's already been many people who don't like it just because they've seen the picture and think it's too big/small and then change their minds once they fully visualize it in its proper dimensions.

Also, please look at the specs, see what the power is behind those specs, compare that with other consoles, and then come back and tell us if it's deserving of $350 or not.

javaJake said:
christo930 said:
The nubs look like they are so far in that it would be uncomfortable to hold and hard on the hands. I guess it doesn't matter, because it's priced out of my range and would probably only get one after a major price cut and then used to get in down under $200usd.
Please find out what the actual dimensions are, and imagine them in your hands before you criticize. There's already been many people who don't like it just because they've seen the picture and think it's too big/small and then change their minds once they fully visualize it in its proper dimensions.

Also, please look at the specs, see what the power is behind those specs, compare that with other consoles, and then come back and tell us if it's deserving of $350 or not.

It really doesn't matter whether it's worth the $350 or not, I don't have $350+ to spend on a hand held video game system, especially given that in July I spent $205 on the gp2x and then some more money on memory cards and batteries. It doesn't bring much to the table for me either. If it emulates a psx and a n64 I really don't care and not many homebrewers can tap all the potential in the gp32 or the gp2x. Not too many one man operations need that kind of computing power unless you are porting a piece of pc software. I don't hear too many home brewers complaining saying their projects are being held back because of a lack of computing power, I hear that from emulator programmers. I'd like to see full speed snes emulation and I think it's possible on the gp2x and if it turns out not to be, it's not worth the upgrade to get it. I don't want or need a portable psx or n64 or 3do. I would, on the other hand, like to see MUCH better pc emulation, like a 286 at least, that way I could play commander keen and all those old pc classics. I don't see why you couldn't emulate a 286 with the gp2x when you can emulate an amiga on the same machine. There's just no decent pc emulator to port and that most likely is not going to change. Dosbox is aimed at too high hardware. My g4 mac at 800mhz can't run keen with dosbox (I'm not sure about vpc, I haven't tried).

OTOH, I think spring 08 is pretty optimistic considering that the specs are not finalized and no prototypes have been made as of yet and there's no point in rushing for a spring release, when the fall is when things usually happen anyway (and as a xmas present next year, maybe if there is a killer app). Also, to me, the picture reminds me a lot of the old hpc machines. And just an observation and not a critique, most devices that try to be everything, are usually not very good at anything, they are mediocre at everything.

To top things off, I want to buy an e-book reader in 08. I've been looking into the e-ink and it's really great, but they are still expensive. I'd love to get one of them and that will push a new game system purchase back. So in the end, a pandora's box is not in my immediate future.

Chris

christo930 said:
javaJake said:
christo930 said:

It really doesn't matter whether it's worth the $350 or not, I don't have $350+ to spend on a hand held video game system, especially given that in July I spent $205 on the gp2x and then some more money on memory cards and batteries. It doesn't bring much to the table for me either. If it emulates a psx and a n64 I really don't care and not many homebrewers can tap all the potential in the gp32 or the gp2x. Not too many one man operations need that kind of computing power unless you are porting a piece of pc software. I don't hear too many home brewers complaining saying their projects are being held back because of a lack of computing power, I hear that from emulator programmers. I'd like to see full speed snes emulation and I think it's possible on the gp2x and if it turns out not to be, it's not worth the upgrade to get it. I don't want or need a portable psx or n64 or 3do. I would, on the other hand, like to see MUCH better pc emulation, like a 286 at least, that way I could play commander keen and all those old pc classics. I don't see why you couldn't emulate a 286 with the gp2x when you can emulate an amiga on the same machine. There's just no decent pc emulator to port and that most likely is not going to change. Dosbox is aimed at too high hardware. My g4 mac at 800mhz can't run keen with dosbox (I'm not sure about vpc, I haven't tried).

OTOH, I think spring 08 is pretty optimistic considering that the specs are not finalized and no prototypes have been made as of yet and there's no point in rushing for a spring release, when the fall is when things usually happen anyway (and as a xmas present next year, maybe if there is a killer app). Also, to me, the picture reminds me a lot of the old hpc machines. And just an observation and not a critique, most devices that try to be everything, are usually not very good at anything, they are mediocre at everything.

To top things off, I want to buy an e-book reader in 08. I've been looking into the e-ink and it's really great, but they are still expensive. I'd love to get one of them and that will push a new game system purchase back. So in the end, a pandora's box is not in my immediate future.

Chris

Then just go away and stop complaining, if this doesn't concern you.

atomicthumbs said:
christo930 said:
javaJake said:
christo930 said:

Chris

Then just go away and stop complaining, if this doesn't concern you.

So I guess people shouldn't voice there opinions on the analog nubs now if they are not planning to buy the thing anytime soon.

Person: Oh no! I must save money for a while so that I can get it sometime later! Maybe I will put my opinion here so that it may be considered when I actually buy the product!

Anti-Person: STFU n00b!

The best thing that could be done to make it a proper article is include criticisms of it. From design to name.

migo said:
The best thing that could be done to make it a proper article is include criticisms of it. From design to name.
Lord knows there are enough criticisms to pick from. ^_^

EDIT: Grammar Nazi Proofing

Back