The Touchscreen And The Hinge

B-ZaR said:
Do we need a poll on the single/double click issue? :p

actually i bet there's a simple way to manage this on linux and everybody can use their own preference:)

Last edited by a moderator:
nik166 said:
B-ZaR said:
Do we need a poll on the single/double click issue? :p

actually i bet there's a simple way to manage this on linux and everybody can use their own preference:)

Yeah, there most likely is (I've never needed to find out). The tongue-in-cheek idea was more to find out what people think rather than what should be done.

nik166 said:
yup but when you want to just select a file, or call a context menu , you're screwed :p

yet we could still do it the apple way: short clicks vs long clicks :)
touch/release = execute (ie, double click)
touch/drag = click and drag
touch/hold/release = select (ie, single click)
touch/hold/hold = right click
It works pretty well. Think about the number of times you will actually want to call up a context menu or simply select a file without executing it on the Pandora.

WizardStan said:
nik166 said:
yup but when you want to just select a file, or call a context menu , you're screwed :p

It works pretty well. Think about the number of times you will actually want to call up a context menu or simply select a file without executing it on the Pandora.

Never seen a touch screen right click in my life, you asolutely sure that last one's possible? My experience with touchscreens has been like having a single button mouse only.

Sphinxter said:
WizardStan said:
nik166 said:

Never seen a touch screen right click in my life, you asolutely sure that last one's possible? My experience with touchscreens has been like having a single button mouse only.

Windows Mobile behaves in this manner. It works okay.

paulspiteri said:
That's correct. I've had a couple WiMo phones in the past, and I never had a problem with the input method. Simply touch and hold for about 2 sec and you get the context menu that you would have gotten from a right-click.

Come to think of it, Andorid works the same way. Touch and hold for a few sec brings up a context menu for some things, like SMS attachments or selected text.

paulspiteri said:
Sphinxter said:
WizardStan said:
nik166 said:

Never had a touchscreen running windows.

Sphinxter said:
paulspiteri said:
Sphinxter said:
WizardStan said:
nik166 said:

Never had a touchscreen device where context menus were desirable?

Apart from the touch-hold combo, we also have access to shoulder buttons to change behavior. tap/release = execute, leftshoulder+tap/release = right click. Or any convenient key will work. Or ignore "right click" on screen entirely, and make the start or select buttons bring up the context menu. Or...
Lotsa ways of dealing with it. Yeah, I think single tap to execute is the best idea. For me at least. Someone have a rebuttal?

Chip said:
paulspiteri said:
That's correct. I've had a couple WiMo phones in the past, and I never had a problem with the input method. Simply touch and hold for about 2 sec and you get the context menu that you would have gotten from a right-click.

Come to think of it, Andorid works the same way. Touch and hold for a few sec brings up a context menu for some things, like SMS attachments or selected text.

So does Maemo 5.

WizardStan said:
Sphinxter said:
paulspiteri said:
Sphinxter said:
WizardStan said:
nik166 said:

Apart from the touch-hold combo, we also have access to shoulder buttons to change behavior. tap/release = execute, leftshoulder+tap/release = right click. Or any convenient key will work. Or ignore "right click" on screen entirely, and make the start or select buttons bring up the context menu. Or...
Lotsa ways of dealing with it. Yeah, I think single tap to execute is the best idea. For me at least. Someone have a rebuttal?
Never had a touchscreen device where context menus were desirable?
No clue where you got that but I see the touchscreen driver has had some major improvements since I used it last around 2000 building kiosks, rocking good news to me; http://www.ibm.com/d...y/l-playscreen/

Sphinxter said:
Tablet PCs have right click functionality as well, operates in the same manner as WinMo. ;)

Sphinxter said:
No clue where you got that
I didn't get anything. That's why I was asking: have you never had a touchscreen device where right clicking would have been desirable?

I hope the hinge is not so similar to the NDS as to have the same stress cracking problem. A structural defect like that could cripple my affection for this highly anticipated device.

SoleGrave said:
I hope the hinge is not so similar to the NDS as to have the same stress cracking problem. A structural defect like that could cripple my affection for this highly anticipated device.

The case is thicker than that on the NDS, so hopefully it wouldn't. And given the friction all across the hinge range of motion, as opposed to the NDS hinge being completely free besides where it attachs to the 'click' mechanism, stress fractures there shouldn't happen at all.

Back