The Touchscreen And The Hinge

CoMiKe said:
It would be very nice if we had a custom multitasking desktop environment specifically designed for Pandora that could be fully controlled without a mouse, just using the DPAD, the nubs and the standard buttons.

That would make the touchscreen use practically negligible.
If we get compiz running we'll have just that (and it's looking more likely with the loosened restrictions of the C++ rewrite)

Last edited by a moderator:
How about configuring the pandora so the left shoulder button counts as a left click, that would seem to solve the problem of touchscreen sensitivity to me.

krosfyah said:
Anyone else think the topic title sounds like a cool name for a pub?

I'd nip in for a pint.

The ds isnt really comfortable to hold when pushing it back to the point when it can go any futher. Its perfect the normal way. To bad the pandora wont have desame lock.
I hope that i wont get trouble clicking something 10 times before it boots.

Really, is the hinge lock fixable? Or wont it be fixed?

We are not even sure, yet, if it's broken in any way. I'd need to get my hands on a Pandora to determine that.

Resistive touchscreens tend to react a little touchy. Nothing to worry about IMO.

craigix said:
There is a pub near me called Dr.Syntax. I keep wishing it was called 'Syntax Error' or 'Syntax Era'.

There is also one in my hometown, near Preston.

And two near Stocksfield ;)

The videos don't really present a reasonable usage of the Pandora, so I don't worry about the angle of the touchscreen. If you're holding it, you can easily support the whole device with one hand, including the hinge. If it's on a table, the OS is set up to be used with a mouse.

I am looking forward to being able to use the D-pad, or seeing touch-based optimizations. But I think in real life, it won't be that much of an issue.

Can't one of the devs have a friend over to hold the camera for them? That way we'd actually be able to see someone holding the pandora without outstretched arms and looking at a strange angle. Just a thought if another video is being done soon.

Or is this whole project too secret to reveal to simple masses :blink:

geo12 said:
Can't one of the devs have a friend over to hold the camera for them? That way we'd actually be able to see someone holding the pandora without outstretched arms and looking at a strange angle. Just a thought if another video is being done soon.

Or is this whole project too secret to reveal to simple masses :blink:
Friends? What are these 'friends' you speak of? The pandora makes friends obsolete, so it makes sense that the dev team has no friends anymore ;]

craigix said:
There is a pub near me called Dr.Syntax. I keep wishing it was called 'Syntax Error' or 'Syntax Era'.
Wouldn't that open it up for confusion with the Syntax Error club?

Coming from a Palm PDA via a Zaurus and a couple of Nokia tablets I'm definitely in the 'no double tap to open, please' camp. Double clicks are more useful for other things IMO. On the N900 it works quite nicely for instant zoom, for example.

-Tj- said:
I prefer double tap to single, having come from WinMo phones and Tablet PCs. There's the occasional miss (have to tap more than once) but I prefer that to the accidental launch from a single tap. Just my 2 cents. :)

Single-click is evil. You have no idea how often I muck stuff up in Ubuntu by right-clicking. I'm just looking for menu options, but instead I execute tons of crazy commands. :lol:

Oh hey, if anyone knows how to turn that off, please let me know!

gibberish said:
ever since we started seeing vids of screen in action, its been painfully apparent that it is very unresponsive at times. i hope this is a software problem and can be fixed, becuase i dont like the idea of tapping 12 times just to get it to register.

from what i have understood, the double click issue comes from the difficult to touch the same point twice , to double click with a mouse, you don't move the mouse, but with a screen ....

i see loots of various ways to fix that :D

nik166 said:
from what i have understood, the double click issue comes from the difficult to touch the same point twice , to double click with a mouse, you don't move the mouse, but with a screen ....

i see loots of various ways to fix that :D
Chief among them, in my opinion, just make it single click to run :p

A lot of touchscreen UMPCs make the choice of having a finger-friendly app launcher. That obviously won't save you in a browser, but it retains the desktop-style milieu as is.

WizardStan said:
Chief among them, in my opinion, just make it single click to run :p

yup but when you want to just select a file, or call a context menu , you're screwed :p

yet we could still do it the apple way: short clicks vs long clicks :)

Well as long as the analogue nubs can be used for a mouse pointer and the shoulder buttons as buttons then I'm good. Touchscreens are great additional controls, but using them as the standard way to control a desktop is just sucky.

Back