The Touchscreen And The Hinge

gibberish

ever since we started seeing vids of screen in action, its been painfully apparent that it is very unresponsive at times. i hope this is a software problem and can be fixed, becuase i dont like the idea of tapping 12 times just to get it to register.

secondly, the hinge locks in a very strange position. the locking location of the ds is perfect, but the pandora screen seems to lock further back than that. an awkward angle, specially for jabbing at with a stylus. are the "in between" positions sturdy enough to take a tap with the stylus without the screen moving?

It's just a problem with how fast you need to double-click an icon to open it. You might even be able to adjust the speed in Angstrom. Also, keep in mind that many of these videos are made with the guys holding a camera at the same time, so it probably messes up their coordination a bit.

gibberish said:
ever since we started seeing vids of screen in action, its been painfully apparent that it is very unresponsive at times. i hope this is a software problem and can be fixed, becuase i dont like the idea of tapping 12 times just to get it to register.

secondly, the hinge locks in a very strange position. the locking location of the ds is perfect, but the pandora screen seems to lock further back than that. an awkward angle, specially for jabbing at with a stylus. are the "in between" positions sturdy enough to take a tap with the stylus without the screen moving?

What's the weather like where you are?

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, the Pandora screen locks at the exact same angle as the DS one.
As for touchscreen response, well, double tap isn't generally a good idea and it should probably be configured away. Also, the screen was not calibrated in some of the videos.

OrR said:
As for touchscreen response, well, double tap isn't generally a good idea and it should probably be configured away. Also, the screen was no calibrated in some of the videos.
I prefer double tap to single, having come from WinMo phones and Tablet PCs. There's the occasional miss (have to tap more than once) but I prefer that to the accidental launch from a single tap. Just my 2 cents. :)

Edit: A 2nd thought to add to this, in the desktop environment I prefer 2 taps. In the minimal launcher menu I think I'd prefer single taps.

OrR said:
Apparently that's wrong. It looks so in the videos that I've watched, but according to one of the recent photos MWeston posted, it goes back a little further than the first lock, but not as far as the second lock on the DS.

WizardStan said:
OrR said:
Apparently that's wrong. It looks so in the videos that I've watched, but according to one of the recent photos MWeston posted, it goes back a little further than the first lock, but not as far as the second lock on the DS.

You're definitely right there. It's locks too far back compared to my DSL. Given that Nintendo don't generally fuck that sort of thing up, then there's probably a very good reason for them to have two lock points - right back for those times you're lying on your back and need to get a good viewing angle of the screen, and the nearer lock for when you're sitting. They do seem to have gotten the DSL's lock points pretty much spot on - I'm surprised that the Pandora isn't doing the same.

D.

Dunny said:
WizardStan said:
OrR said:

You're definitely right there. It's locks too far back compared to my DSL. Given that Nintendo don't generally fuck that sort of thing up, then there's probably a very good reason for them to have two lock points - right back for those times you're lying on your back and need to get a good viewing angle of the screen, and the nearer lock for when you're sitting. They do seem to have gotten the DSL's lock points pretty much spot on - I'm surprised that the Pandora isn't doing the same.

D.
+1

Dunny said:
WizardStan said:
OrR said:

D.

Apparently, they originally intended to use the DS hinge, but ended up with a different one. That might explain the different lock points.

craigix said:
The hinge, we were told, was the DS hinge we were buying, however it now seems it's just a very similar one, made by the same people, but not exactly the same.

Close enough I guess.

The hinge on the Pandora is a bit larger, but the locking mechanism in the Pandora is probably similiar and in the same place as the NDS. It's a small device firmly attached to the inside of the right LED area that goes into the hinge ~1/2 an inch, and can be replaced by the user. It's also the infamous hinge break point. I'd love to see a hinge teardown of a finished Pandora

i wonder why using touch screen on the pandora looks more awkward than on the DS... could it be because on the DS you dont do touch screen on the top? derp

the angle is an angle. its not full back and its not the intermediate. i dont really see how its a big deal, especially considering how well we cope with laptops that dont lock at all.

people really have moaned through their way of every aspect of the device havent they. theres nothing left to whine about with any effect in the design and still they cant stop themselves.

i guess everything comes under scrutiny until its in peoples hands. everyone seems a bit happier with the PSP go now the hype has died down. i wish people would just let it come out now.

also, how many times do we need to repeat the fact the click thing is a awkward filming/software thing? its been said everywhere for months. id expect someone who had been around as long as that to you know... pay a bit more attention than a n00b

the pandora's screen is raised a lot higher from the base of the unit compared to the DS, I think this is part of the problem, especially if the hinge is supposed to be the same as the DS's, it's not designed for the same.. .design! o_o

It would be very nice if we had a custom multitasking desktop environment specifically designed for Pandora that could be fully controlled without a mouse, just using the DPAD, the nubs and the standard buttons.

That would make the touchscreen use practically negligible.

Back