The Three Kinds of Linux Gamers

Out of interest, which three types of Linux gamer were you thinking of when you wrote that title? It's not jumping out at me reading the text.
  • Cluster 1: “The Valvists”. (n=124)
  • Cluster 2: “The Pragmatic Desktop Gamers”. (n=142)
  • Cluster 3: “Principled Linux Gamers”. (n=127)
It is near the bottom, and he goes into further detail about what makes each group stand out.

Hi all :)

@ekianjo : very interesting read indeed ! Thanks for your hard work on this survey !

Looks like I belong to the 3rd cluster: "long" time and exclusive (Debian) GNU/Linux user ( > 10 years ), don't use/like Steam or DRM related stuff, prefer GOG (used to like Desura in the past), etc...

Anyway, I don't have much time to play video games nowadays... Last time I bought a home console was in 2006, the Nintendo Wii, and that's it. My laptop computer is also pretty old now (2007-2008), and the nVidia 8800 GTX M inside it runs on open source drivers (nouveau) ;)

Actually, my main gaming machine is the Pandora :p

What about you guys ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

I would probably fall somewhere between the second and third. I am closer to the third, but not as extreme with some things, and even the name of the second group doesn't fit me (I usually use laptops and mobile devices).

I would probably fall somewhere between the second and third. I am closer to the third, but not as extreme with some things, and even the name of the second group doesn't fit me (I usually use laptops and mobile devices).

There are some laptop users in the second group - (i think about 15%). You don't really have to focus on the "desktop" part, the model is based on behavior questions - factuals variables such as laptop/desktop used as gaming rig are actually only used as reference variables and do not interfere with the model. It just happens that most folks from that segment use a desktop, but again that does not excluse laptop users per se.

I'm part of group 3 although I wonder why group 2 and 3 are described as "less hardcore gamers" only because they have principles that let them focus on other games than the usual Steam crowd which in turn often misses out on other ones due to the simple lack of time everyone encounters at some point.
It reads a bit like Steam users are some kind of master race. Oo

Last edited:
Based on the data he collected, less of those "groups" self-identified as hardcore gamers. I can't remember the numbers, but it isn't exclusive based on one or two factors. Don't get caught up on the names, just like he said to me, because everyone doesn't fit everything perfectly. Individuals are different in different areas of the data, and he was simply looking at how each group is current from the others. It makes sense that if you spend all your time and money on games, hardware, etc. That you are more likely to call yourself a hardcore gamer, but there are still people in both other gross that call themselves by that label as well. It is a dumb label.

Based on the data he collected, less of those "groups" self-identified as hardcore gamers. I can't remember the numbers, but it isn't exclusive based on one or two factors. Don't get caught up on the names, just like he said to me, because everyone doesn't fit everything perfectly. Individuals are different in different areas of the data, and he was simply looking at how each group is current from the others. It makes sense that if you spend all your time and money on games, hardware, etc. That you are more likely to call yourself a hardcore gamer, but there are still people in both other gross that call themselves by that label as well. It is a dumb label.
I see. Yeah well I'd probably have bought a new PC if Witcher 3 had a (DRM-free) Linux port.

Yeah, with DRM I don't think there is a simple answer to the question for me. I don't exactly tolerate it, but I do sometimes get tired of not being able to play games that sound good. Same with using Wine. Is a complete list of the questions available?

Yeah, with DRM I don't think there is a simple answer to the question for me. I don't exactly tolerate it, but I do sometimes get tired of not being able to play games that sound good. Same with using Wine. Is a complete list of the questions available?

The survey is closed, so not right now, but I am going to open the next survey pretty soon so you can get through it if you participate next.
Otherwise I can quickly list up the questions used to build the model, if you are interested, I think there's less than 15 of them (and another 15 of reference variables, not used for the model).

If you don't mind us participating and polluting your data, maybe we can do it as well.

Back