The RetroPi

How about this Solution: make the case a bit larger, and put 3 USB Ports on a Custom Frame on the front of the Case, then put 3 USB Cables inside the Case on the Pee, and you the 4t Cable between the 4t Pee USB Port and the Retrode

This way you sacrifice just one USB Port, but make it just User Friendly plug and play..

Also: when you wants to Put Genesis/Megadrive and Super Nintendo Gamecardridge on, the Case enyway have to be a bit larger than the Pie, so this should work..

And whit the 3 Separate USB Kables Put in the Frame, you also have the Whole USB Speed whitout need of a Hub..

Why so complicated?

Simply build a USB Hub inside and when anyone have Problems with defective USB Ports in the

Future then can they simply change that Hub.

a Modular Build make many Things more Easy ^_^

Because i thought the Hub whill make the Connektions a bit slow

So just use 4 Short USB Cables and out the End of 3 in a Custom Frame and the Fourth in the Retrode

The 3 need a female end and the 4th a normal which should be put in the Retrode..

Ah a Hub make Connections slower?

Oops thats New for me :rolleyes:

Mean you too slow for Joypads and Joysticks? ;)

Or mean you maybe a minimal little decrase in the Joypad Responsing Time then :blink:

Edit:

Ah another Resaon why no Hub is the old 2,5 USB HDD Powerproblem,exept its an active Hub. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, my Elektronical Knowledge isnt that good..

It was just a tought to solve the internal conecktion between the Pie and the Retrode

Also ED mentioned there will be Twoo Super Nintendo and Twoo Megadrive Ports on the new device..

So maybe a solution where you do a custom case for the pi that has the retrode on top and connects both via external usbcable would be easier.

You could create some kind of clip that keeps them together.
Naaah, I still want only one case, but seems I need to route the cable externally.

aah, I still want only one case, but seems I need to route the cable externally.
You could probably get a small cable manufactured, just a couple CM long, with L connectors. Make sure the Retrode's USB in is directly overtop of the Pi's USB host and the cable just slots in like a jumper. Presumably that'll be the back of the case so won't be a problem of aesthetics, so long as there isn't some giant cable dangling around. :p

Well, that would be an idea, probably cheaper than producing an L-Shaped custom cable :)

I would need that for network and USB then, I guess, those are all the connections on that side of the Pi.

I'll think about that, thanks :)

You could also think of only putting two usb ports on the outside and use the internal ones for the retrode and a wifi or usbstick as internal storage.

ED: I am all for this idea in a million ways... this is something I've wanted for the longest time

apart from the support for the official carts and the official/clone controllers - you should investigate different kind of bluetooth controllers for the bundle.

There must be a decent cheap model you can buy a few thousand from abibarbar.

The idea of playing some Donkey Kong with my friends in upscaled HDMI from my original cart sounds wonderful.

I could easily see this being a million dolorous kickstarter project too.

Are you sure a Pi is powerfull enough for the SNES emulation part? It is probably for the 1.43 engine, but for 1.5x, with the new sound emu part, I'm not sure (but I don't have a Pi to test).

The Pi2 should work fine with that.

Yes, Kickstarter is an idea, though Kickstarter doesn't exist yet in Germany.

Not sure Bluetooth contollers are needed - as you could simply plugin a Bluetooth dongle and the controllers should work.

Pi2 works perfectly with snes emulation. Even with the libretro core.

The hard part is to configure the controllers correctly.

Back