The Rabbit Joint

Social wasp reproductive cycle (temperate species only)

Wasps do not reproduce via mating flights like bees. Instead social wasps reproduce between a fertile queen and male wasp; in some cases queens may be fertilized by the sperm of several males. After successfully mating, the male's sperm cells are stored in a tightly packed ball inside the queen. The sperm cells are kept stored in a dormant state until they are needed the following spring. At a certain time of the year (often around autumn), the bulk of the wasp colony dies away, leaving only the young mated queens alive. During this time they leave the nest and find a suitable area to hibernate for the winter.

Wikipedia

Wasps aren't worth the grief they cause. They're belligerent pests that should be wiped out. People say they control insect population, but so do spiders, and wasps kill spiders. They lay their eggs inside of spiders that they've paralyzed, and when their young are born, they eat the spider alive.

Does this sound like a pleasant insect to anybody?

Aethix said:
Wasps aren't worth the grief they cause. They're belligerent pests that should be wiped out. People say they control insect population, but so do spiders, and wasps kill spiders. They lay their eggs inside of spiders that they've paralyzed, and when their young are born, they eat the spider alive.

Spiders control the insect population.
Wasps control the spiders.

And I control the wasps.
*cocks shotgun*

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasps are barbarians who torture their victims in ways banned by the Geneva Conventions. Therefore, they must be destroyed.

Aethix said:
They lay their eggs inside of spiders that they've paralyzed, and when their young are born, they eat the spider alive.
Replace "spider" with "female" and it's pretty much how humans reproduce.

lulzfish said:
Aethix said:

Spiders control the insect population.
Wasps control the spiders.

And I control the wasps.
*cocks shotgun*

Fucking sig'd

Only time I've ever been stung by a bee was when I got lost in the woods on the way home. I was high as fuck and at some point pissed off a nearby bee. At least I killed it before it had time to die.

I've been stung only once, on some sort of field trip, got inside my shirt. Hurt a lot, yet not as much as I expected.

Funny thing is we have a hive at our backyard, under some stairs. They live happily with us and don't bother anyone... Of course I don't know what species they are or if they're even wasps, but they look and behave a lot like them, except for the fact that they cannot sting. The only thing they've done to me is some tickles when they fly right into me.

So, for me wasps are not that evil... at least mine. ;)

I am posting here merely to flash around my witty sig, courtesy of fishybawb (no permission asked).

beavith said:
I have yet to be stung, is it at all like a horse fly bite?

The wasp stings I had started out like being stabbed with a big needle with an excruciating burning pain, that continued for the best part of a day (water/ice/salves didn't help), the next two days it still hurt but was fading somewhat, after that it itched for about a week. Was considerably worse than I was expecting.

Enverex said:
beavith said:

The wasp stings I had started out like being stabbed with a big needle with an excruciating burning pain, that continued for the best part of a day (water/ice/salves didn't help), the next two days it still hurt but was fading somewhat, after that it itched for about a week. Was considerably worse than I was expecting.

Maybe you're allergic?

Enverex said:
beavith said:

Well then, ill just stay inside where they cant get me!

(naw)mcx said:
Enverex said:
beavith said:

Maybe you're allergic?

I've had tests done before and I've not been found to be allergic to anything, plus if I was then I think 5 stings over the space of 2 months would probably kill me (don't people normally almost die when they are stung by something they are allergic to?).

I'm extremely wasp-phobic. Seeing anything that vaguely looks like a wasp or bee triggers an involuntary panic. I think it's because I got stung a lot as a child.

Enverex said:
(naw)mcx said:
Enverex said:
beavith said:

Maybe you're allergic?

I've had tests done before and I've not been found to be allergic to anything, plus if I was then I think 5 stings over the space of 2 months would probably kill me (don't people normally almost die when they are stung by something they are allergic to?).

No, I was stung by a jellyfish which turned out I was allergic to. It hurt for a bit then just got really itchy, spent four hours in a hospital waiting room for some guy to sit me in a room and give me piriton.

tim0391 said:
Enverex said:
(naw)mcx said:
Enverex said:
beavith said:

Maybe you're allergic?

No, I was stung by a jellyfish which turned out I was allergic to. It hurt for a bit then just got really itchy, spent four hours in a hospital waiting room for some guy to sit me in a room and give me piriton.

Hmm, could be then. At the time I just assumed they must be quite severe stings in general, but it did seem a rather more than I'd expect a wasp sting to be like.

Back