The Pyra is coming!

I can probably find good SD cards here.
If you're having trouble finding an SD card you can also use a USB thumb drive. It's not nearly as convenient but will serve as a temporary fix in case you need to order an SD card off the internet or something.

I am pretty sure I have received other things that were/are illegal in the mail. I would have to dig through a bunch of stuff to find what is and isn't allowed, but I really don't care. Since ED wants to stay in business it makes sense that he would care.

So...I shouldn't mention that I shipped about twenty gcw zero's via registered mail...
And I got two packages with repaired Pandoras back even though there wasn't a battery inside (and I even mentioned that on the package).

And I found out about this law when I received 5 of 6 packages back because there were Revos inside which include batteries.

It IS illegal worldwide - but it always depends on who checks this.

In Germany, customs check this before they clear it for export. German customs are VERY accurate. :(

I know a lot of other custom don't even check the packages they get, they simply wave them through.

So when the UPS Guy rings on my Doorbell, its my shiny new 3G Pyra???
 No, that rule is only for international shipping.

Why does that strike me as something UPS would have lobbied for...?
It's not. I can also use DHL Express or FedEx, but they're not cheaper.

Only normal shipping doesn't work.

Every employee involved in the transportation needs to be trained to be able to do that.

That training costs money which most of the normal postal services don't want to pay for (I know Deutsche Post (the german postal service) doesn't, as I told me that when I asked).

UPS, DHL Express, etc. have trained their employees, so they can transport the goods.

I suppose this means you can't ship individual batteries either? Would there be anything gained by shipping just the battery through UPS and the rest of the system through someone sane?
It wouldn't make things cheaper, as the battery would still have to be shipped as a package, not as a letter.

Here is some nice information in case you want to read about it further:

http://www.rosebatteries.com/lithium_regulations.asp

Btw, when you are going to ship these Pandora's? Next week?

Yes, physikaly,

i know, in this 2 Yeahrs, im a Pandora owner, my Unit wasnt used that carefull, but it still works great..

and i know, a employe of Gamepark, some yeahrs ago tropped EvilDragons Pandora Prototyphe on the flor, but it still works..

Well, Pandoras cab survive at big events like GamesCom, where they are used by hundreds (thousands?) of more-or-less careful people & kids.

So it's pretty tough ;)

There's a conspiracy theory (at least in North America: USA and Canada) that politicians are intentionally trying to drive federal post service out of business in order to push privatized delivery services like UPS and DHL, and looking at all the rules and restrictions that USPS and Canada Post have to put up with that the private companies don't it's hard to not believe it's true.

There's a conspiracy theory (at least in North America: USA and Canada) that politicians are intentionally trying to drive federal post service out of business in order to push privatized delivery services like UPS and DHL, and looking at all the rules and restrictions that USPS and Canada Post have to put up with that the private companies don't it's hard to not believe it's true.
Except that it's not the politicians driving the restrictions on lithium battery shipping,  it's IATA.  (The airlines, collectively)  

-Neelix

Except that it's not the politicians driving the restrictions on lithium battery shipping,  it's IATA.  (The airlines, collectively)  

-Neelix
And then we get to where Amazon got brilliant with their shipping.  Say what you will about the company, but they have the package shipping side of their business well sorted.

They have started to ship the overseas/cross country leg via private carriers (UPS) which then gets delivered to the door/mailbox by the US Postal Service.  They pretty much 'saved' the US Postal service from going to 4 days per week delivery and took them from 6 days to 7.

I have no idea how that deal works, but from the end consumer perspective it's fantastic and fast - complete with Sunday package delivery.  I doubt if a small company can get in on that kind of deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - that just gave me a crazy thought.  ED - any thoughts around using something like Amazon for order fulfillment?  Yes, they take a chunk/cut just like any other re-seller would.  Service wouldn't be as good as what you get with Link.  BUT they have worldwide fulfillment and shipping nailed.

Since 'Well sorted out' in this case is just an euphemism for unethical business practices i vote 'No Amazon'.

Reactions: rSl
I already sell via Amazon. They take 15% for electronics if you ship yourself, probably more if they ship for you. They take about the same as every other reseller, so there wouldn't be any difference compared to having e.g. Link as reseller.

And then we get to where Amazon got brilliant with their shipping.  Say what you will about the company, but they have the package shipping side of their business well sorted.
Not in the UK. Here, they bought up the cheapest couriers (who are basically still a massive franchise operation - all the actual couriers are local people with cars in the main).

To be fair to them, it's got slightly better since Amazon bought them, presumably because they gave them handheld devices to keep track of what goes where.  But they're still nothing like a professional courier, like those ED and others use.

Yes, physikaly,

i know, in this 2 Yeahrs, im a Pandora owner, my Unit wasnt used that carefull, but it still works great..

and i know, a employe of Gamepark, some yeahrs ago tropped EvilDragons Pandora Prototyphe on the flor, but it still works..
I dropped my unit from about 1m high before it's first month. Screen broke, had to send back. So I have the impression they are very weak.

My GB color, GBA and DS were dropped at least 3 times each and they are all undamaged from it.

Back