What's about the software?

Xcl4m4t10n

Advanced Member
Well, my first topic here after a long of time i decided register to participate on the polls :D .

What's about the software repository? I have two main questions:

-Will be the pyra's scene as active as the actual pandora's scene?

-Will be easy portable the pandora software to the pyra? With easy portable i mean if it will be very hard to port the actual software to the pyra, using the 100% pyra difference. For example, port gp2x software to wiz was easy, but the ported software don't adapt easily the new system hardware architerture and features, so i wan't to know (if it is possible to know it now, maybe is too soon.) if when we port some software from pandora to pyra it will take a lot of work adapt the port to the new hardware and use it capacities.

Thank you for the response and i'm sorry for my english level. I'm hard working on it in order to improve my skills :D .

Most of the Pandora scene will probably become part of the Pyra scene, so the Pyra scene will probably be at least as active as the Pandora scene.

Backwards compatibility is something that is taken into account, so I expect that most of the Pandora applications will quite rapidly and easily be made to work on the Pyra. A lot of the current Pandora repository is software that is already available in Debian, so that will immediately be there. The more Pandora-specific stuff will probably be just a recompile to get it to work on the Pyra (or perhaps not even that), but of course you want the software to really use the new features (higher resolution, more game buttons etc), then of course adaptations will be needed.

-Will be the pyra's scene as active as the actual pandora's scene?
No idea - this will depend on how many people buy the Pyra, which will probably be based on it's features and price.
-Will be easy portable the pandora software to the pyra? With easy portable i mean if it will be very hard to port the actual software to the pyra, using the 100% pyra difference. For example, port gp2x software to wiz was easy, but the ported software don't adapt easily the new system hardware architerture and features, so i wan't to know (if it is possible to know it now, maybe is too soon.) if when we port some software from pandora to pyra it will take a lot of work adapt the port to the new hardware and use it capacities.
It'll be using Debian repositories - so some of the ported software for the pandora will not be needed, as there'll already be "native" ports.
I believe the intention is to retain some backwards compatibility though

A bit of the software especially games on the Debian repository are not really optimized for any specific hardware.. so certain games that use SDL or GL may be useless from the repository.

Thank you a lot for the answers! A little question: Will Pyra be compatible with Opengl 3.0?

The pandora people are the same as the gp2x people were, and they will be pyra people given the chance. Its forever getting bigger, and also more compatible.

No gles3 i dont think, but with the replacable SoC-boards, maybe in the future.

The pandora people are the same as the gp2x people were, and they will be pyra people given the chance. Its forever getting bigger, and also more compatible.

Thanks. Can you explain me a little more about the replaceable boards? It will be very difficult to do it? How much can be (aprox. of course) the price of soc change?

Thanks. Can you explain me a little more about the replaceable boards? It will be very difficult to do it? How much can be (aprox. of course) the price of soc change?
Changing the SoC could be free as in you buy the new one and then replace it yourself, like lego. The cost of the new SoC module wouldn't be too high, the SoC chip itself is like $15, add RAM, permanent memory, PCB, connectors, etc. - say below $200 no matter what?
But developing the new SoC board would be pretty expensive, so ED wouldn't do it often and I don't really expect third parties to offer them although it's possible in principle.

Changing the SoC could be free as in you buy the new one and then replace it yourself, like lego. The cost of the new SoC module wouldn't be too high, the SoC chip itself is like $15, add RAM, permanent memory, PCB, connectors, etc. - say below $200 no matter what?

But developing the new SoC board would be pretty expensive, so ED wouldn't do it often and I don't really expect third parties to offer them although it's possible in principle.
I don't know if i misunderstood you but about the physical change, it is a system who requires to soldering/desoldering or it is something as you said, something like a phone battery?

Sorry if I am beign annoying but i lost a lot of info in the past and it is very difficult to me found information with my english leve ~__~

I don't know if i misunderstood you but about the physical change, it is a system who requires to soldering/desoldering or it is something as you said, something like a phone battery?
Sorry if I am beign annoying but i lost a lot of info in the past and it is very difficult to me found information with my english leve ~__~
More difficult than exchanging a battery which is supposed to be replaced, but probably less difficult than replacing a battery which isn't supposed to be user-replaceable.
No soldering: You open the case (screws...), rip the old module out and plug the new one in, close the case.

It is a little silly to be talking about replacement SoCs when the current choice offers all the software compatibility one can reasonably expect, imo.

It is a little silly to be talking about replacement SoCs when the current choice offers all the software compatibility one can reasonably expect, imo.
LOL, with that argument is silly to have a feature like this, no? We are talking about a feature the Pyra will have, so why it is silly? We are not talking in tone like "OH MAH GAD A NID TOCHANGE DIS NAOOO!!11!" but to inform to a future client

:D .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back