The Pyra is coming!

Do you think Two Months ® will happen again? I was afraid of that :*(

The thing I ask is, how long might it take?
 Could be a couple weeks, or it could be a year.  I doubt you'll get an official ETA because there are too many variables outside of their control.  I would think that after the 2+ years that the pandora took to actually get made, ED knows better than to make over-optimistic estimations.
CHIP'S BACK! When did you sneak in? :DD.
From gp2x days or the old pandora forum?

I am a bit impatient. Should I buy a Pandora or wait for the Pyra??

^ Buy a cc pandora, second hand if you can find one, and then buy a Pyra.
I am just a student :D Even though I want to buy both of them, probably my family won't give the permission to buy, and I don't think I can find that money :(

^ Buy a cc pandora, second hand if you can find one, and then buy a Pyra.
I am just a student :D Even though I want to buy both of them, probably my family won't give the permission to buy, and I don't think I can find that money :(
If that is the case, I would save money overtime for the Pyra... Being patient can pay off.

Ok then. I think I can wait 2 more months for the pre-orders and 2 months ® for my Pyra (hopefully)...

It depends on what you're looking to do.  The pyra will certainly handle NDS, dreamcast, and N64 games better.  The pyra should also be a hell of a lot better at video playback.  The pandora chokes on most h.264 video (certainly anything in HD), and refuses to even attempt h.265.

But the original pandora is more than good enough for anything up to and including the PSX.  My first-batch pandora handles all the retro emulation I want it to handle (8/16bit systems) just fine.  If you have similar requirements, then a pandora will suit your needs.  It will be cheaper than a pyra, and will be available (probably, one way or another) right now.

What you guys think about two months ® ?
Well, the Pandora's original "two months" was because Craig was an optimistic businessman. EvilDragon has learned from past mistakes: when he says he's ready for pre-orders I'd believe him and wouldn't make a serious estimate at all before then.I can make a not-so-serious estimate and suggest that the way things are going 2-4 months seems pretty reasonable. Like, the prototype is literally a week or two away from completion. Assuming nothing is seriously wrong that needs complete rework, 6 weeks for minor tweaks seems feasible. Pre-orders in 2 months is entirely possible. Lots could go wrong but we're all stupidly optimistic about stuff. :p

But a lot of the parts have 8 week lead times, and without money there's not a lot ED can do about that. I would hazard to guess that the first Pyra would be more likely to roll out about 3 months after pre-order, not 2.

So my estimate, all things being as they are right now, sits at 5 months, end of January, early February. It'd be nice if he could pull some magic and have them start shipping before December 24th but Christmas miracles ain't real.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you guys think about two months ® ?
Well, the Pandora's original "two months" was because Craig was an optimistic businessman. EvilDragon has learned from past mistakes: when he says he's ready for pre-orders I'd believe him and wouldn't make a serious estimate at all before then.
Yes! That is the only reason I want to buy a Pyra instead of a Pandora...

Ah. I knew this on ( R ) buy didn't know this on

I can make a not-so-serious estimate and suggest that the way things are going 2-4 months seems pretty reasonable. Like, the prototype is literally a week or two away from completion. Assuming nothing is seriously wrong that needs complete rework, 6 weeks for minor tweaks seems feasible. Pre-orders in 2 months is entirely possible. Lots could go wrong but we're all stupidly optimistic about stuff. :p
That's a pretty big assumption to make (should you actually be making it) in my experience.  I'm optimistic, but guardedly so.

That's a pretty big assumption to make (should you actually be making it) in my experience.  I'm optimistic, but guardedly so.
Literally said "Lots could go wrong but we're all stupidly optimistic about stuff" :p

Back