The Pyra is coming!

Well, New 3DS, and 3DS 2DS, (and the XL Versions) are Nintendo Double Screen Handhelds, they also Play DS Games because backwartcompatibly

But they arent "DS" as they are the succesor as they are lot more powerfull, have they own Games Library which dosnt work on DS..

So you can Play per exemple Mario Kart DS in Multiplayer whit a New 3DS against a DSlight Ohwner, but you cant play Mario Kart 7 on a DS..

1- What do you think can go wrong? (And maybe a guess about the release date?)

2- Will * Counter-Strike

* Terraria

* League of Legends (I hate that game but my friends...)

* Any other Steam games

be played on the Pyra?

3- Will 4G/LTE support be worldwide?

4- Will we be able to configure the nubs or the d-pad as something different from the default?

And last but not least...

Are you going to buy a Pyra :D

1. a ) A lot.

b ) Second half of 2016 if everything goes well (which would be something new)

2. Nope.

3. I'd be surprised if it did.

4. a ) Yes.

b ) Probably not since I haven't got so much time and much less money on my hands and I can't imagine that things will change to the better in the next year.

If I had the time for this stuff again, I'd probably just use my Ghz Pandora again (given that nobody wants to buy it from me until then as it seems atm) since I couldn't afford the price of the Pyra (650€ with accessories? What's the current guess?) anyway and the things I couldn't do with my Pandora are not many.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. What could go wrong is parts that fail after a while, so they have been tested correctly but fail to fast afterwards.

2. I think counterstrike would work already with xash3d, but it's not the source version.

In general it will be a hit/miss for some pc games. Totally depends on people porting them, but for pandora some 'impossible' titles have been ported.

3. 4G will not be working world-wide because countries use different frequencies, the module supports a lot but not all (that's why there is a US/EU version of the chip).

You might get lucky if you have the provider/area that uses supported frequencies.

4. Mapping buttons should be doable

When I have enough money to spend I'll buy one.

FWIW, the 'release date' I suspect won't be like a release date is for Apple or Samsung, for example.  ED won't have thousands of built, tested units sitting in warehouses ready to be sent out before announcing that it's available.  He'll be sending them out as soon as they're built to the people who ordered first, but it'll be a while before those orders are satisfied and it's available off-the-shelf, as it were.  So the idea of a 'release date' is slightly complicated - is it when you can first place an order, even though you'll have to wait a little while for your unit to be built and posted, or is it when devices are available to be dispatched as soon as you order?

I would probably define the release date as the date when the first commercially available non-prototype units start to ship, regardless of when they were ordered.

-Neelix

I would probably define the release date as the date when the first commercially available non-prototype units start to ship, regardless of when they were ordered.

-Neelix
How far are we from the Prya prototype?
Edit : Prya is the new name of Pyra

-Neelix
How far are we from the Prya prototype?Edit : Prya is the new name of Pyra
Once a working CPU daughterboard is assembled... so hopefully if they get that SDRAM soldered properly when the new solder mask arrives and that is assuming no other issues are found.

I think we need the keymat also for a full prototype...
Ah forgot about that, I know there are a few partial keymat samples... maybe ED can kludge a keyboard(minus markings) together from them?

Although personally I think it's enough to classify it as a working prototype even minus the keymat.

I think we need the keymat also for a full prototype...
Ah forgot about that, I know there are a few partial keymat samples... maybe ED can kludge a keyboard(minus markings) together from them?Although personally I think it's enough to classify it as a working prototype even minus the keymat.
I agree, at least we aren't fixed to a devboard.

Yes, it's not a release candidate, but you could even argue that the TI devboard plugged into the peripheral board was a prototype of sorts.  So I'd have thought that any pyra device where you can screw it all together and run it off battery or charger, possibly controlling it via a USB keyboard or ssh login would count as a prototype for sure.

Of course, even once a release candidate exists, there's work to be done in proving all the peripherals work AIUI before it can be accepted for mass production.

Lots of different configurations could all be called 'prototype'.

The one we're all chomping at the bit to see is essentially the 'final prototype', as defined by ED, that would open up the gates for us to all place orders and send money.

The one we're all chomping at the bit to see is essentially the 'final prototype', as defined by ED, that would open up the gates for us to all place orders and send money.
The thing I ask is, how long might it take?

Could be a couple weeks, or it could be a year.  I doubt you'll get an official ETA because there are too many variables outside of their control.  I would think that after the 2+ years that the pandora took to actually get made, ED knows better than to make over-optimistic estimations.

Tomorrow. But don't tell it to anybody, it's a secret. (Hate this kind of questions :D ).

Back