The One Nub Club

I'm another involuntary member of the one-nub club. My left nub will not move the cursor 'up' anymore. It appears to physically center.. doesn't cause drift ... but the mouse pointer will not move up (think down may be breaking/broke as well).

Don't relish the idea of having to mail it back in to get it fixed now. Think I might wait a bit until they're actually building/sending out new pandoras to send mine in.

I'm in the club now. woo hoo. was emailed today that mine will b shipping within the next 7 days

Mine has shipped on Friday and will be here Monday. Most of the things I'm interested in using the Pandora for won't really use the nubs at all, so I'm good if the one I will have ends up shitting itself. I might get a second pandora later, and a nub or 2 and try soldering a new one on to the one I'm about to get and give the old one as a gift to my nephew or something. He likes video games, and this would be pretty fun for him, I think.

I'm currently in the "no-nub" team - who can send me replacement Pandora? :lol:

Vitel said:
Jdbye said:
if I can fix the one nubber

Cleaning broken nubs does not always help. I've had to swap my nubs (because I wanted the left one to be working). So think twice before opening your Pandora (and loosing warranty).
Just FYI.
It's already been opened by the guy I bought it from to tweak one of the shoulder buttons, so I've got nothing to lose. I might swap them too (the left nub is the iffy one), was it easy to do? My soldering skills suck pretty hard :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Jdbye said:
was it easy to do? My soldering skills suck pretty hard :p
I also don't have much experience in soldering. But it's quite easy when you know what to do. All the stuff you need is listed here: http://pandorawiki.org/Nubs

They are mounted using cut-off plated through holes butted onto pads (fairly standard SMT technology). Just using solder wick will not be sufficient, and if you are not extremely careful, you will rip the pads off the nub or the board.

I've done that before...not sure I can say I'd be willing to get a one-nubber and give that a shot again.

I'm glad the company is now retesting nubs and such. Hopefully these issues will disappear, and no one will join the one/no nub club again.

I now am part if the One Nub club officially! :) My unit seemed to work pretty well, it was just that I had to calibrate the left nub & very very occaisonally it would go slow after reboot for a few seconds.

That all changed during my hunt for the 31st star in Mario last night. The left nub just seemed to go "Limp" and then it doesn't centre any more.

On the desktop this leads to erratic mouse movements, which I fixed by configuring the right nub as mouse. So I now have what I paid for, a proper one nubber! :)

The downside of the month I had a "1.9 nubber" was that I got to experience the pure awesomeness of Mupen64, so it's a tough pill to swallow when that's taken away from you.

I hope that once all the orders are met we will be able to pay to get these fixed, I'd be quite happy with say £50 if that was enough for the OP team to do the job and make a margin. I had ordered two units anyway, so in the big scheme of things I do not regret getting a one nubber in the slightest.

I have a super N64 to USB adapter called "Boom" here: https://www.gaminggenerations.com/store/images/N64_PS2_USB_Converter.jpg

It works like a charm on Windows 7 with Mupen and my original N64 stick. But Mario looks sooooooooooooo great on the pandora screen, I wish I could use this on the Pandora.

Anyway, just thought I'd post now that I'm "In the club." :D

My one nubber that I received in the mail yesterday is now a two nubber :)
Well, the left nub always kind of worked, but it's no longer gritty after blasting it with compressed air :D
It doesn't need calibration all the time anymore either.
We'll see if it breaks completely in the future. For now, I'm off to play Super Mario 64 :)

EDIT: I did almost break the mic when I opened the Pandora though, I bent the pins a bit, though I don't need or care about it anyway. The only reason I bent them is that I was flipping the PCB instead of lifting it because I was being careful of not ripping the LCD cable in half :p I didn't expect the mic to be sticking out like that and inside a groove.

Oh you opened yours? I blasted compressed air in from the outside (under the disc section of the nub). I'll probably open mine up when my batch 2 unit is a little closer to arriving.

Good to hear anyway.

Gruso said:
Oh you opened yours? I blasted compressed air in from the outside (under the disc section of the nub). I'll probably open mine up when my batch 2 unit is a little closer to arriving.

Good to hear anyway.
The previous owner opened it to tweak a shoulder button so the warranty is already voided, andI figured I might get a better result by opening it. I didn't blast under the disc though, I just blasted onto the nub from a short distance, I wasn't sure exactly what to do since no one really explained it, but it worked :)

Jdbye said:
Gruso said:

Good to hear anyway.
The previous owner opened it to tweak a shoulder button so the warranty is already voided, andI figured I might get a better result by opening it. I didn't blast under the disc though, I just blasted onto the nub from a short distance, I wasn't sure exactly what to do since no one really explained it, but it worked :)

This fixes the "Gritty" nubs right? Not the ones that have gone limp and don't center?

My lack of NUB encouraged me to rediscover some of my SNES games last night. My word the DPAD rules! :)

A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!
Other than the one nub being questionable, as far as I've gotten it looks fine. Having some trouble actually getting the thing to start on account of the known "select date" loop bug. I'm going to have to try some things to get it to move past that, but don't have time for it right now.

WizardStan said:
I'm going to have to try some things to get it to move past that, but don't have time for it right now.
Create a boot SD file as on the wiki under 'recovering broken firmware', which will boot to a command prompt rather than the first-run script.
sudo date -s 12122010 or something similar.
Reboot, and do not change the date till you have hotfix4 beta2 loaded (or manually edited the firstrun and set date scripts.

tsh said:
Create a boot SD file as on the wiki under 'recovering broken firmware', which will boot to a command prompt rather than the first-run script.
First I took the battery out for half an hour, then I tried creating the boot.txt as described in "Debugging broken firmware", but while I got a lot of text output, it still booted to the first-run script. I don't have any way of creating ext2 partitions right now, so can't boot from SD but should be able to do something with it this weekend.

mali said:
Prometheus said:
Stan has his Pandora now? :D Congratulations!
+1
Thanks guys!

WizardStan said:
tsh said:
First I took the battery out for half an hour, then I tried creating the boot.txt as described in "Debugging broken firmware", but while I got a lot of text output, it still booted to the first-run script. I don't have any way of creating ext2 partitions right now, so can't boot from SD but should be able to do something with it this weekend.

Hmm, you could try going back to the first Zaxxon firmware that was released and using the manual Hotfix 3 patch. That certainly worked fine for me every time I did it. I never got around to using the latest firmware until last night so I didn't even know about the date loop bug.

Locri Epizephyrii said:
Hmm, you could try going back to the first Zaxxon firmware that was released and using the manual Hotfix 3 patch. That certainly worked fine for me every time I did it. I never got around to using the latest firmware until last night so I didn't even know about the date loop bug.
No worries. I'll figure it out. It's otherwise solid and money well spent :)
In case it wasn't obvious, I actually bought Locri's one nubber. I originally had no interest in a one nub unit, but several things kinda came together yesterday.
First, this was the week that I had estimated I would get mine way back when they first started shipping. Second, Locri is also in Toronto. It took me 30 minutes to get to the subway station where we made the exchange. It couldn't have been any more convenient. If he had sold it last week, or been anywhere else, I wouldn't have gone for it. The combination of the two was sufficiently coincidental that I'm buying a lottery ticket for tonight's 50 million dollar draw. :)

Back